Where did you meet your friends in Thailand and how did you become friends?

9 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

Have made more enemies than friends. Well... maybe not "enemies", but people if I ever see again will be 1,000 years too soon.

The one friend I have made and trust completely... I was organising a sporting event for a group and contacted a hotel to see if they would be interested in hosting. I got a reply from a Thai guy, we met up and he showed me around and was really helpful. Later I introduced my Thai girlfriend to him and afterwards she was like "how the hell do you know him? - he's like super HiSo" (first time I'd heard the term). Turns out he's the CEO and son of the owners of the massive hotel. I had no idea and he didn't let on at all. We've become good friends. 

Probably he was also happy to speak with a normal person and not to someone who looks at him like a Super HiSo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Common Interests is the key:

Hash House Harriers

Riding Motorcycles (although haven't seen them for a dog's age)

Et al.

Or sometimes just saying hello. I.e making an effort.

Mostly Hash though. Added plus is that you have instant friends no matter what city you are in.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Common Interests is the key:

Hash House Harriers

Riding Motorcycles (although haven't seen them for a dog's age)

Et al.

Or sometimes just saying hello. I.e making an effort.

Mostly Hash though. Added plus is that you have instant friends no matter what city you are in.

Yep, same for me as well.  At the Hash House Harriers is where I have met and made a lot of friends.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you sure you as a person would be more popular? Or maybe only certain body parts?

Only the body part, but popular is popular for whatever reason.

Remember those movies that were popular about people swapping bodies? If that happened to me I'd be the biggest slut around and never have to pay for a meal or a drink.

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2020 at 6:07 PM, possum1931 said:

What does TDY mean? Another poster who thinks he is on his smartphone texting instead of a forum

Initials can be OK if the full words have already been used, but TDY??

Given it referenced GIs I assume it is tour of duty ie hubby ain't around.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, IvorLott said:

but the ensuing nostalgia trip recalling those happier times, was always depressing in the end

I know exactly what you mean. After my divorce I wouldn't go back to the beaches I loved because I knew I'd be too sad remembering the happy times when I was with someone I loved on a beautiful beach.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:54 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I stayed in that place for a few nights I think on my first visit to Thailand in the early 199x.

At that time I though it's a fifthly place - but at least cheap.

Long after I discovered LOS, when I stayed in Bkk for more than a couple of days I'd stay in Uncle Ray's ( if I remember the name correctly ) which was located behind the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4. It was as grotty as it comes, but certainly cheap, and one minute walk from Nana. Long gone of course. Now part of Dynasty Inn.

Happy days, those.