Two foreigners and a Thai test positive in state quarantine

webfact

Is it not the case that returning Thai nationals do NOT require a covid free test before departure and share the flight with foreigners who DO require one?

What's the point of this?

Should not ALL returnees be required to be tested prior to flying ? Or none ?

They all go into quarantine and testing anyway upon arrival.

Thailand has a population of about 70 million, roughly equal to the combined populations of California (40M) and Texas (30M) in the U.S.

Thus far with CV, Thailand has had less than 60 official CV deaths and 3300+ cases (acknowledging there may be some fudging going on with the testing and tallies).

Between the two of them,

--California, 560,000 CV cases and 10,377 deaths

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/california

--Texas, 503,000+ CV cases and 9,157 deaths

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/texas

CA & TX COMBINED - 1+ million cases and almost 20,000 deaths over about 6 months time

Where would you rather be?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The two foreigners did not come from the US the way I read the article,just the Thai Hotel employee.

Thank you. The OP here wasn't clear enough but after checking another site, it was written far more clearly. Unfortunately the edit button is no longer there to make correction/delete the post. That said - the post also refers to US being World's worst in last paragraph, so it's still somewhat relevant... and one of the 3 infected came from there...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was wondering how long it would take for someone who had tested negative and boarded with a CV free note and was exposed to those not required to be tested. Waste of money for those folks. Maybe I am wrong because of there nationalities and they are not Thai, but still would think they had to be covid free to enter.

Ever heard of incubation period? Test is no more than a snapshot of the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

The three new cases were all asymptomatic and found in Bangkok state quarantine hotels. A male Bangladeshi merchant, 31, a 41-year-old Indian woman, and a 30-year-old female Thai hotel employee who had returned from the United States all tested positive.

Wrong assumption from above original post that all 3 of them arrived from US. On checking it out at competitive, unmentionable newspaper, it clarifies that only the hotel employee arrived from US.

Acc to Bangkok Post Indian woman is a housemaid. How can she get in?

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:49 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Was wondering how long it would take for someone who had tested negative and boarded with a CV free note and was exposed to those not required to be tested. Waste of money for those folks. Maybe I am wrong because of there nationalities and they are not Thai, but still would think they had to be covid free to enter.

They were probably tested and either 1) it was a false negative, or 2) the virus load was so low it wasn't detected, 3) infection while in transit (don't know what the social spacign is like on the flight), 4) a dodgy certificate. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

They were probably tested and either 1) it was a false negative, or 2) the virus load was so low it wasn't detected, 3) infection while in transit (don't know what the social spacign is like on the flight), 4) a dodgy certificate. 

From picking up the bug till showing in a test a few days go by.

Edited by Letseng

On 8/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, holy cow cm said:

I don’t think they call Bangladesh people farangs. Some word that is a little bit harsher. 

Same same , they are not Thai people ..

• Confused 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:52 AM, Mavideol said:

I thought anybody and everybody entering Thailand needed the Health Certificate from the local (departing place) Embassy and that included Thais, are we missing something here.... or the fabrication of "fake" health certificate business is up and running

My wife flew to Thailand 15 days ago from the US. She leaves quarantine today. She was required to get a "fit to fly" certificate within 72 hrs of her departure. This was provided by a local walk in clinic at the cost of $70. No CV 19 testing, just a confirmation of general good health.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:39 PM, geriatrickid said:

It is not jumping through hoops, but a reasonable  precaution intended to  reduce the potential for the introduction of the  infection. Considering the selfish behavior  and new surge in cases in  Europe, USA, Australia etc. is it any surprise why Thailand would be cautious?

The  screening requirements prior to boarding are intended to reduce the potential for infection. Keeping the infected people out reduces the burden to care for the infected should they arrive in Thailand. The more infected there are, the greater the risk to health care workers and to other people. I don't want to get on an airplane if there are known infected people aboard. Is it fair to the other pax and to the aircrews not to screen?

The isolation requirement is intended to add a second step to pick up the people who are asymptomatic or who are infected and received a clear test result.  People can be infected during transit or may not have detectable levels of the virus in the first 72 hours of infection.

You can complain once the world gets rid of the covidiot problem.

His point was that 80% of the passengers on the plane to get back to Thailand will not have been tested - because Thai's are exempt from getting tested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

His point was that 80% of the passengers on the plane to get back to Thailand will not have been tested - because Thai's are exempt from getting tested. 

It's not right that the foreigner has to jump through ALL the hoops to only be exposed to a plane full of un-tested people. So that when you arrive, you have increased risk of popping positive at the hotel... then you are off to the hospital at even more risk and expense. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It's not right that the foreigner has to jump through ALL the hoops to only be exposed to a plane full of un-tested people. So that when you arrive, you have increased risk of popping positive at the hotel... then you are off to the hospital at even more risk and expense. 

And now you understand why they want you to have a 100k USD policy to cover you for there ineptitude. You have to admit that they don't really truly care about foreigners at all, or for that matter there own citizens related to those foreigners. Stupid is as stupid does. However, as much as I rant about things I just accept them and it makes me sorry for the people as there is nothing I can do about it.

11 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

How are you at increased risk at the hotel ?

You will be self isolating. 

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And now you understand why they want you to have a 100k USD policy to cover you for there ineptitude. You have to admit that they don't really truly care about foreigners at all, or for that matter there own citizens related to those foreigners. Stupid is as stupid does. However, as much as I rant about things I just accept them and it makes me sorry for the people as there is nothing I can do about it.

Not just foreigners, but if one non test Thai person starts infecting other Thai's on the plane - they are going to have to pay to treat that patient. 

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

Not just foreigners, but if one non test Thai person starts infecting other Thai's on the plane - they are going to have to pay to treat that patient. 

You don't see the big picture. They are Thai citizens and are covered. The foreigners paying more will cover those that are Thai.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:30 AM, Tounge Thaied said:

This is why you need insurance to pay for possible hospital cost.