“We Travel Together”. Is Dusit D2 AoNang (Krabi) the best deal ever? Pics included.

Airalee

Ok...so here’s the deal.  Pics to follow.

As the government has been mulling doing something like the “We Travel Together” promotion for foreigners, I figured I would have my girlfriend book a trip for us under the Thai promotion just to see what kind of deal I could muster up.

Let me tell you....I got the best travel deal of my life. 

I usually don’t stay in 4+ star hotels as 3 star (like Ibis) are usually nice enough.  But here’s what I got...straight to the details.

5 night stay (the maximum allowed under the program) at the Dusit D2 in Aonang, Krabi.  

The hotels promotional price was 2k per night for a “Deluxe King Room” including breakfast and a 600 baht daily voucher good for dinner (5pm-9:30pm) at their restaurant Rakhang-Thai.  Drinks are not included in the discount.  The government paid 40% so the final bill for The room, breakfast and ฿3000 worth of vouchers for the restaurant came to ฿6000 (all taxes included).

It gets even better.  On top of the hotel discount at the restaurant, the government....through their incredibly confusing payment app...paid 40% of the already discounted bill (up to a maximum of ฿600 on weekends and ฿900 on weekdays).  So...if you buy dinner and the total is ฿1000, the hotel knocks off ฿600 and then the government pays ฿160 of the final ฿400 leaving you with a grand total of ฿260 owed.  Nice.   So...for ฿628 (All inclusive), my gf and I had some pretty nice Australian Tenderloins.  I couldn’t have cooked them at home for that price.

Now...here is the downside.   This place is a ghost town.  As much as the Pollyannas on the forum try to discount the economic devastation...here, in Aonang...it’s for real.  Walking the length of the tourist area from Dusit...across the main waterfront and then up the street leading away from the water at the other end...I would estimate that 90-95% of everything is closed.  The restaurants on the water (at the north end of the waterfront) had only one remaining place.  One of the nicer seafood places was selling 30-50 baht Thai food to the locals (no customers).  It would be easier to list what’s open than what’s closed.  Even both of the McDonalds have shut down.  Strangely enough, the Haagen Dazs Ice cream place was open.  Other than pharmacies, 7-11s (even one of those was shut), Family mart and another mom-n-pop minimart...a handful of t-shirt/souvenir places and perhaps fewer than a dozen restaurants (including 1 of the 2 Burger Kings, Black Canyon, Subway, Pizza Company and Starbucks) ,3 bars a couple tour desks and 2 massage shops...it’s dead.

Not sure what to think of it all.  It’s almost like I have the whole town to myself.  Peaceful...but eerily so.

Anyhow, here’s the promised pics (including a view from the room and a gratuitous food pic)

B8222BAE-9D06-49FE-8E3A-F425FD819B3C.jpeg

83100426-BCC2-4C19-84AE-690F6DC712F9.jpeg

1DA27DE5-904B-4EA5-A7E0-934BF52C43EE.jpeg

5C777BA7-37F7-43E5-9B82-864F91C22EE3.jpeg

176F29BE-6070-40BA-AF5E-2D11CD3CFEAB.jpeg

DF8288B5-C9EB-4FAE-9342-E206D3742B92.jpeg

5B4B9517-712E-4A91-B25F-D63D7BD507F3.jpeg

5F4FA5DB-221C-485C-8D41-783EE63F905F.jpeg

2F5A67B0-5725-4894-85B5-A187DB5CDDEC.jpeg

1C0A8187-915C-41F2-8961-8FC0EFC59F5E.jpeg

363D028F-8DB9-417A-9485-648DC65522A8.jpeg

09E32C39-2F80-49F9-AB3D-3625BC5FF0BD.jpeg

8A36B6F6-5298-4FEC-8ECE-6A98F7D14929.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, that's scary ....... need some chips with that steak.

The mashed potatoes were pretty good.  Needed more veggies though.  Still...I can’t believe the deal I’m getting.  Might hang out here for a while.

• Like 1

Problem is it's for Thai's only, you will have to sleep on

the beach,while your girlfriend will be having the room

and the food.they are not going to let a Farang in when

the Government is footing half the bill.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Problem is it's for Thai's only, you will have to sleep on

the beach,while your girlfriend will be having the room

and the food.they are not going to let a Farang in when

the Government is footing half the bill.

regards worgeordie

He was talking past tense... it would appear that ’they’ (as a couple) received the Thai Promotion of 40% discount based on his GF being Thai. 

I get your point though. Given the dual pricing we see in Thailand I wonder at what point the hotels will state its for Thai/Thai couples (families) and not Thai/Foreign. 

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

As the government has been mulling doing something like the “We Travel Together” promotion for foreigners, I figured I would have my girlfriend book a trip for us under the Thai promotion just to see what kind of deal I could muster up.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

He was talking past tense... it would appear that ’they’ (as a couple) received the Thai Promotion of 40% discount based on his GF being Thai. 

I get your point though. Given the dual pricing we see in Thailand I wonder at what point the hotels will state its for Thai/Thai couples (families) and not Thai/Foreign. 

I’ve seen 4 Thai/farang couples already and only two groups of Thais.  The hotel already assured me that it was okay when I asked if it was legitimate for us to use the promotion.  I doubt the hotels would start turning Foreigners with Thai wives/girlfriends away and I doubt the government would have any problem with it either, but well...logic doesn’t always seem to apply here.

Right now, with as empty as the hotels/restaurants are, and as underutilized the tours (snorkeling/island hopping/etc), I believe that the government would get quite the backlash if they were to deny Thai/foreign couples.  What’s a guy supposed to do?  Send his wife/girlfriend on holiday alone?  That’s not gonna happen.  I also wouldn’t doubt that the push for them to include Foreigners Is so that Foreigners without a Thai significant other can start touring the country and doing what little they can do (individually) to help their host country in whatever way possible.

Somebody has to spend money here and with the borders closed, it might as well be the expats still here.  The Thais in Aonang say that Thais are only here on weekends and that they go days without a customer on weekdays.  

Dusit even has a “foreign resident” package for foreigners only (with ID cards/drivers license/work permits/etc) which is pretty close to the same price.

Edited by Airalee