Awake in a sweat again, another day has been laid to waste.

Go to some AA meetings my friend. Try your best to dry out again and use this website to go to online meetings.

https://aa-intergroup.org

You can go to meetings online at anytime of night or day and don't even have to show  your face. You can just listen. Share if you wish. Participate or not. AA doesn't require you to do anything in a meeting. use the zoom app on cell phone or computer. It's an easy way to check out AA in the comfort of your own home.

If you are in Thailand there is an online group that meets at noon everyday.

http://aathailand.info

Edited by likerdup1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why not re-read what I said and explain how you disagree? 

I'm sober in AA for 34 years and three days, where do you get your stats? 

Going to meetings of AA and doing the 12 step program of AA are two different things. Going to meetings does not bring about recovery from alcoholism. (coming in and out of AA doesn't cut it, going to meetings will not bring about recovery) Doing the 12 steps brings about a spiritual awakening required to be recovered the AA way. Sobriety (not drinking is one thing) Actual recovery from alcoholism is quite different. The 10th step promises on pg 84 of the book are what a recovered alcoholic looks like.

My stats are my experience in doing 12th step work. Of all the men I've sponsored over the last 25 years the ones who do all the steps as designed and laid out in the Big Book recover. 100% recovery rate. They go onto sponsor other men. It's a pure joy to experience! My AA group has several of my sponsees in it who are now sponsoring new commers. Magical!

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

There are a fair number of people with long term sobriety in AA who are not real alcoholics as defined in the AA Big Book. These people do not have what it takes to help real alcoholics. Those are the folks who just go to meetings and don't do the steps and stay sober long term.  They are most likely not a real alcoholic as defined in the Big Book. Doctors Opinion and the Chapter "More about Alcoholism."

Edited by likerdup1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Going to meetings of AA and doing the 12 step program of AA are two different things. Going to meetings does not bring about recovery from alcoholism. (coming in and out of AA doesn't cut it, going to meetings will not bring about recovery) Doing the 12 steps brings about a spiritual awakening required to be recovered the AA way. Sobriety (not drinking is one thing) Actual recovery from alcoholism is quite different. The 10th step promises on pg 84 of the book are what a recovered alcoholic looks like.

My stats are my experience in doing 12th step work. Of all the men I've sponsored over the last 25 years the ones who do all the steps as designed and laid out in the Big Book recover. 100% recovery rate. They go onto sponsor other men. It's a pure joy to experience! My AA group has several of my sponsees in it who are now sponsoring new commers. Magical!

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

There are a fair number of people with long term sobriety in AA who are not real alcoholics as defined in the AA Big Book. These people do not have what it takes to help real alcoholics. Those are the folks who just go to meetings and don't do the steps and stay sober long term.  They are most likely not a real alcoholic as defined in the Big Book. Doctors Opinion and the Chapter "More about Alcoholism."

When I say sober in AA, what does that mean to you? 

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

When I say sober in AA, what does that mean to you? 

What it means to me is what it means in English. Twisting the English language and making up our own definitions of words makes communication difficult at best. If we are talking about a method of recovery from alcoholism then "what words mean to me" is dangerous. We are talking about saving peoples lives in AA. What the words mean is much more important.

We are using the English language here correct? So let's look at a definition.

SOBER: adjective

1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
  2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants.
  3. Straightforward and serious; not exaggerated, emotional, or silly.

Not drinking does not necessarily mean one is recovered from alcoholism. Being recovered from alcoholism is the great promise as described in the Big Book. So sober time in AA does not necessarily mean a person is recovered from alcoholism. Especially if that person is not a real alcoholic as described in The Doctors Opinion, There is a Solution and More about Alcoholism chapters in the Big Book.

It is a sad reality in the modern day AA fellowship. A good many people, some sober awhile in the fellowship have not taken short time to STUDY the basic text of AA society. The Big Book and Twelve and Twelve. They've been going to meetings for years and never studied even the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Why?  It's sad.

My group is a literature group. We make sure anybody new knows exactly what the AA program is as laid out in the literature. This is so they at least have the opportunity to know what's available and the promises of hope and recovery available if they are willing to do that work.

This is the great hope of AA.

RECOVER

• intransitive verb To regain the use of (a faculty) or be restored to (a normal or usual condition).
  • intransitive verb To regain a normal or usual condition, as of health.
  • intransitive verb To cause to be restored to a normal or usual condition.

Through doing the 12step program of AA I've regained my life and been restored to what most people would say is a normal existence. Nobody would guess I'm alcoholic if they looked at a day or week in my life. (except if they observed me going to meetings)

Edited by likerdup1

8 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

What it means to me is what it means in English. Twisting the English language and making up our own definitions of words makes communication difficult at best. If we are talking about a method of recovery from alcoholism then "what words mean to me" is dangerous. We are talking about saving peoples lives in AA. What the words mean is much more important.

We are using the English language here correct? So let's look at a definition.

SOBER: adjective

1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
  2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants.
  3. Straightforward and serious; not exaggerated, emotional, or silly.

Not drinking does not necessarily mean one is recovered from alcoholism. Being recovered from alcoholism is the great promise as described in the Big Book. So sober time in AA does not necessarily mean a person is recovered from alcoholism. Especially if that person is not a real alcoholic as described in The Doctors Opinion, There is a Solution and More about Alcoholism chapters in the Big Book.

It is a sad reality in the modern day AA fellowship. A good many people, some sober awhile in the fellowship have not taken short time to STUDY the basic text of AA society. The Big Book and Twelve and Twelve. They've been going to meetings for years and never studied even the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Why?  It's sad.

My group is a literature group. We make sure anybody new knows exactly what the AA program is as laid out in the literature. This is so they at least have the opportunity to know what's available and the promises of hope and recovery available if they are willing to do that work.

This is the great hope of AA.

RECOVER

• intransitive verb To regain the use of (a faculty) or be restored to (a normal or usual condition).
  • intransitive verb To regain a normal or usual condition, as of health.
  • intransitive verb To cause to be restored to a normal or usual condition.

Through doing the 12step program of AA I've regained my life and been restored to what most people would say is a normal existence. Nobody would guess I'm alcoholic if they looked at a day or week in my life. (except if they observed me going to meetings)

I asked you what it means to you when say; "sober in AA", and you forget all about AA and just cut-and-paste a dictionary definition of sober.

55 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I asked you what it means to you when say; "sober in AA", and you forget all about AA and just cut-and-paste a dictionary definition of sober.

Show me where in any AA literature the word "sober" is redefined. We are speaking English here right? Has the word sober "In AA" been redefined?

The program of AA offers something much more than sobriety. It offers recovery from alcoholism.

Man, it's a shame. You know we are talking about peoples lives here right? Alcoholism is a fatal illness my friend. Let's make sure we are communicating the AA message of recovery to people as best as possible.

The AA message of recovery:

Recovery from alcoholism through a spiritual awakening achieved by doing the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

The best thing I ever did was get a sponsor who knew the Big Book and Twelve and Twelve and was dedicated enough to the program to take me through it. We studied the first 164 pages of the Big Book line by line paragraph by paragraph with a DICTIONARY.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, likerdup1 said:

Show me where in any AA literature the word "sober" is redefined. We are speaking English here right? Has the word sober "In AA" been redefined?

The program of AA offers something much more than sobriety. It offers recovery from alcoholism.

Man, it's a shame. You know we are talking about peoples lives here right? Alcoholism is a fatal illness my friend. Let's make sure we are communicating the AA message of recovery to people as best as possible.

The AA message of recovery:

Recovery from alcoholism through a spiritual awakening achieved by doing the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

The best thing I ever did was get a sponsor who knew the Big Book and Twelve and Twelve and was dedicated enough to the program to take me through it. We studied the first 164 pages of the Big Book line by line paragraph by paragraph with a DICTIONARY.

I asked what the phrase sober in AA means, not what the word sober means in AA. 

It's great you have a spencer to explain the Big Book to you as clearly your comprehension skills are lacking. 

Again, please explain how we disagree. 

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I asked what the phrase sober in AA means, not what the word sober means in AA. 

It's great you have a spencer to explain the Big Book to you as clearly your comprehension skills are lacking. 

Again, please explain how we disagree. 

Let's not sling mud here. Let's behave has our Higher Power would want us to. My level of comprehension of English is obvious to anyone a actually reads my posts.

I'll say this.

It's clear to me you are latched on to a definition of what "sober in AA" means to you and what you think it's means to others. But I contend that you should look closely at AA's great promise of recovery from Alcoholism. It's NOT ONLY sobriety. IT'S RECOVERY! Big difference.

I do not announce myself as a sober alcoholic in AA meetings. AA offers something much more than just being sober. It offers recovery.

I do announce myself as a recovered alcoholic having had a spiritual awakening as THE result of the steps. I am not cured but recovered as outlined all throughout the Big Book as the goal.

Please do yourself a favor. Have an open mind that your many years in AA do not necessarily mean you know the true program of AA as outlined in the literature.  Study the texts. Join a good literature based group.

It's the best thing I ever did for myself!

If you are interested in pursuing that I'd be happy to help! Message me and I'll direct you to some meetings that are solution and literature based. Also I have some favorite Big Book teachers that have great talks online.

I've just realized that what we are doing here is really not appropriate. the OP was reaching out for help .. we turned this thread into a discussion far from being helpful to the OP. 

I"m done here. Message me directly if you want a conversation. Otherwise good luck!

Edited by likerdup1