TAT deputy governor dashes hopes of 2020 reopening for Thailand’s international borders

webfact

Looks like the guy that started this will be getting the sack ???????? Complete cretin along with the rest of the thai government. Why can they not stand up and be counted ? Well looks like I need to apply for that Non O Immigration visa ? Also my wife is due to go for Visa interview to come and join me in the USA, what happens in this respect ?

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tourists stranded in Thailand, well no they are not, as they can go home on a flight that may be costly, or goes in a circuitous route, and they may end up in quarantine in there own home country, but none the less they can return whence they came.  It may be hard for them to understand that.  However, should they want to stay longer-term then they need to get an extension of stay unless they don't have the money, well then at that point it is time to go. Extensions can not go on forever.  

Preach TR!  everyday Im reminded about stepping on that first of many planes, and 6 airports in the middle of a pandemic in a plane full of people--6 airports....and reading this news....trapped in this disaster-USA

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think joe public will shoot the governments and get on with it.

When you have lived here long enough I think you learn which way the power flows. Post 1997 crash the Saxena KT KK scandals endless coups yet the ordinary people scrape by albeit in awful conditions.

Many displaced will go back to their village where shelter and basic food is possible.

As in all recessions I foresee steady growth will be the pawnbrokers and moneylenders formal and informal as young entitled will still expect a motorcycle/car plus a smartphone and are under eager to work in the paddy like their grandparents did.Sadly farms are hocked for 4x4s and a landless peasantry results so poor they rent their kids to foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mung said:

If his prediction is correct, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's a gross overreaction at this point, and Thailand needs to learn how to live with this virus just like most of the other countries have. Either they don't understand this or they don't have the capacity, resources and facilities to handle domestic infections 

Most other countries haven't learned how to live with the virus, using debt as a crutch isn't sustainable. Only the Euro area and china is seeing production rise again but there is still the second wave fear pulling at the markets. North and South America have done an alarmingly bad job at containing covid and the effects will spill over into even those countries who have done a good job.

How this will end is anybody's guess but I suspect it will be gung ho, go for it, open up but be cautious wear masks, wash hands etc. This can't go on as it is. Already a third of Americans renting their accomodation expect to be evicted, in fact evictions are happening now and Trump is using covid as an excuse to run down the social services, especially Medicare under the guise of helping Americans with his payroll tax action which will mean less money for the government departments.

This isn't going to end well, the economic effects will hit peoples pockets for decades and this was a mild pandemic compared to possible future pandemics. Recently scientists were able to revive bacteria from meters under the sea floor which had been dormant for 100 million years, this doesn't bode well for us considering the dormant bacteria in the frozen tundra which is being warmed up due to climate change, Hasta la vista mammals. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Because Thai salary double Indonesia, Vietnam. 

Thailand still win because infrastructure better.

Soon all make factory in other coundry! And reason is not salary's, REASON IS THAI BTH! It's too strong! They artificialy keep bth strong and they shoot in own leg! Tourist money have less value and companys bist also. They buy parts whit dollar include ridicilous tax's and buid here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Good move Thailand. I predict border opening mid 2021 and only for low risk countries and totally unrestricted travel mid 2022 or later if ever.. 

Yes but only after you have proof of injection. 

41 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Preach TR!  everyday Im reminded about stepping on that first of many planes, and 6 airports in the middle of a pandemic in a plane full of people--6 airports....and reading this news....trapped in this disaster-USA

Yes, it does not make sense to fly back for many and risk exposure, but there are the options available for staying longterm. I myself have to pull the plug and jump onto an extension of stay based on my OA ME visa I entered on and normally use a border bounce or flight home to reset it for a year before re-applying again after 2 years. Had to transfer the 800,000 baht onto an account here, even though my monthly pension transfers would be enough, but in some IO offices they don't like the monthly income method.

However, traveling around Thailand is something I can do.

41 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

It's strange that just 300 Thai go whit private flight to work in Finland! Thai coverment haddle flight! Nothing in news here!

Workers go in Finland to collect wild berry's from forest! Many kind movement is happening, they just don't tell that to all!

It was posted and there was an OP about the berry pickers leaving for Sweden and such.