TAT deputy governor dashes hopes of 2020 reopening for Thailand’s international borders

webfact

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You are correct in that not every Chinese person is responsible,  however the government must and will pay through a boycott of ' made in china '  by every other country.  The government must and will pay through US, Australia & UK initiatives that will cost China jobs.     imo

the defense rests your honor

Right.  Got it.  "Not every Chinese person is responsible, however the government must and will pay through a boycott....."

retribution.thumb.jpg.18a586404dd358fac6579e28a3b76375.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

As the US is the exemplar for my preceding paragraph, I leave you with these....

5 million infected, 160k dead.  how to respond?  it's just the flu, bro!  lets get 250k riders together to party!

Defying virus, thousands of motorcyclists flood into small US town

Shrugging off the five million coronavirus cases now tallied on US soil, thousands of motorcyclists are converging this weekend on a small South Dakota town for what is billed as the biggest cycle gathering in the world.

In past years, the 10-day rally in the town of Sturgis has drawn hundreds of thousands of bikers to socialize, drink and party together -- raising fears among some locals that this year's version could be a superspreader event.

https://news.yahoo.com/defying-virus-thousands-motorcyclists-flood-194101612.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Don't worry after the US elections in November the "virus" will suddenly disappear.

Sorry, its not a Hoax like you may believe, and its here until people either get an immunity, if possible, or a vaccine like the annual flu shot is and yet people still die by the thousands, but then i digress.  Travel is in a world of hurt right now, unless of course you prepared for anything you could not forsee by having a Plan B or Plan C.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Good move Thailand. I predict border opening mid 2021 and only for low risk countries and totally unrestricted travel mid 2022 or later if ever.. 

Your username says all ...
Bet you are retired.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

5 million infected, 160k dead.  how to respond?  it's just the flu, bro!  lets get 250k riders together to party!

Defying virus, thousands of motorcyclists flood into small US town

Shrugging off the five million coronavirus cases now tallied on US soil, thousands of motorcyclists are converging this weekend on a small South Dakota town for what is billed as the biggest cycle gathering in the world.

In past years, the 10-day rally in the town of Sturgis has drawn hundreds of thousands of bikers to socialize, drink and party together -- raising fears among some locals that this year's version could be a superspreader event.

https://news.yahoo.com/defying-virus-thousands-motorcyclists-flood-194101612.html

250k who put their lives at risk and all those they come in contact with when they get back home. 

Truly very sad that there should be so much selfishness.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I expected that the prices would be lowered significantly, but unfortunately that doesn´t seem to be the case. 

Basic Econ 101

very limited supply

margin

Very few places operating.

You can't operate at a unit loss and expect to make it up on volume.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The tourist accomodations have for many years been very expensive, as they are based on nothing else than what foreign tourists have been willing to pay. Now when there are no foreign tourists in Thailand, I expected that the prices would be lowered significantly, but unfortunately that doesn´t seem to be the case. 

I am in the market for at 5-7 day luxury beach holiday in the south in December, but most resorts are still priced close to what they were, before Covid-19 shocked the tourism industry in Thailand. I understand, that many resort owners have acquired their resort properties at inflated prices, which would only be profitable, if the foreign tourists continued to arrive like before. But now it´s time to lower the prices significantly to what the domestic travellers (including the many Expats) are willing pay, as some business is way better than no business. But will the Thais understand the market mechanisms, before it´s too late? I doubt it. I have a nice home and can just select to stay at home, until the prices finally will be regulated, which will also spare me the trouble, with informing Immigration about my whereabouts. 

The accommodation providers probably are waiting to find out exactly what's happening. Most don't want to reduce prices yet (just in case!) though some do have low season prices until Christmas.

Don't even think about booking anything now for high season. Nowhere is going to be anywhere near full. Wait until nearer the time and you'll have the pick of 5 star hotels at three star prices, I'm sure. Alternatively book something with free cancellation so you can keep an eye on the resort's prices and change your booking if and when prices go down.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The overly cautious approach, combined with extreme cowardice on the part of the administration, amounts to sadism. They are inflicting untold pain on the masses and on Thai families with foreign partners. Millions are out of work. 

The process should be simplified. Anyone, from any nation should be welcome starting tomorrow. If they are willing to support the economy by paying for quarantine, there is no risk, and only upside. 

This appears to be extreme timidity on the part of the small and weak men in charge. And it is grossly unfair to the people in tourism. 

Also, Thailand is taking alot for granted. They are assuming they will even be remembered once all the delays are over. That is alot to assume these days. Gone, and maybe forgotten?

I predict tourism will never return to it's previous levels, in our lifetime here. Caution and prudence are one thing. Inane stupidity and paralyzing fear is another. 

You seem to be implying that Thailand is the only country exercising extreme caution. Name me two or three SE Asian countries that don't, or in fact anywhere in the world. The only attempts at "tourism as we knew it" is among some EU countries, and only amongst themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

And the virus came from......

Inane. You are being ideological. Only Trump supporters dwell on where it started, and refuse to take responsibility for how it spread, and the dozens of things that could have and should have been done to prevent that spread. Do people blame Spain for the 1918 epidemic? 

While it's unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and 

Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

You seem to be implying that Thailand is the only country exercising extreme caution. Name me two or three SE Asian countries that don't, or in fact anywhere in the world. The only attempts at "tourism as we knew it" is among some EU countries, and only amongst themselves.

All of that is besides the point. A tourist arriving and going into two week quarantine at his or her cost reduces the risk to near zero. The risk will never be zero. That is the point. The army are cowards. 

• Like 2

People from western countries here talk about riots and revolts? Really 

you mean like the paid red and Yellow shirt protesters? The average Thai takes no initiative or stand up to gov policies.....

People here are like sheep - very passive, and scared to voice their concerns let alone rebel...

currently, the sheep are following the gov lead with their masks on, of course, as they head for that lack of tourist cliff....

baa baa.... 

• Like 2

It's refreshing to hear some common sense from TAT for a change, rather than just meaningless statistics. In Pattaya the last few years, the farang high season has pretty much finished by early February, and they're unlikely to want hordes of foreign (water) tossers to descend on the country during Songkran, so I'd guess if all goes well we'd be looking at a gradual reopening starting in May or June next year. Even then, it'll be a long time before tourism is able to get back to "normal", if it ever does. People who bet on tourism big-time need to start hedging their bets, if they haven't already done so.