TAT deputy governor dashes hopes of 2020 reopening for Thailand’s international borders

webfact

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

It's refreshing to hear some common sense from TAT for a change, rather than just meaningless statistics. In Pattaya the last few years, the farang high season has pretty much finished by early February, and they're unlikely to want hordes of foreign (water) tossers to descend on the country during Songkran, so I'd guess if all goes well we'd be looking at a gradual reopening starting in May or June next year. Even then, it'll be a long time before tourism is able to get back to "normal", if it ever does. People who bet on tourism big-time need to start hedging their bets, if they haven't already done so.

Common sense ?  TAT is not good at doing what its in business for ' promoting Tourism in the country '.  It's just another bureaucratic Gov dept following the line it's told to ! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The Thai tourism model is built on high-volume, low price.

Unless you're willing to deal with ~ 30-ish million tourists, it's a waste of time and energy.

And who the heck wants to go on vacation to Thailand right now? Some would opt for a cruise first.

That whole "tourist bubble" thing was a non-starter. Who's idiot nephew cam up with that idea?

On the plus side: the environment is bouncing back brilliantly.

Until there's vaccine, or the virus simply "goes away" (I'm waving my tiny hand with a downward flourish), I wouldn't be investing in the tourism business.

I think nine out of ten ASEAN countries remain closed to tourists.

New Zealand is often sited as a model for doing things properly. Pretty sure they're still closed too.

I'm not quite sure I'd like to go on a cruise either - cruise ships have proved themselves to be floating infection generators.

33 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

No travel bubbles seems like you've started your own bubble . Hope you are happy staying in there alone and hope if you ever come in any kind of trouble or situation , you will remember to stay in there and don't expect any help from the people outside your bubble as well as it seems you don't care about other peoples situations whatsoever . 

Please explain how you are trapped inside of Thailand and can not return home.  Of course everyone has there own reasons for wanting to stay, but now is the time to take care of the paperwork that ensures you can stay.  Free extensions will not last forever, and at the beginning were to help folks to try and get there houses in order and then return to there countries.  If you have a job outside and then a family here and you have to travel, then maybe that O visa with ME entries every year and 90 day border bounces should actually be an extension of stay with a ME Re-Entry permit.  I myself have had to make the change to an extension of stay, and its not what my original plan was.  I also had to close my business in the US because if I traveled back I could not get back in here.  I see the issues, but everyone needs to look in the mirror and ask themselves "What do I need to do to stay here appropriately and legally"  If you need assistance because of monetary issues then you can try your embassy, or your family in order to get home.  If your afraid of the infection rate for Covid in your home country, like I am, then maybe its time to obtain the right paperwork as I stated above.  If your younger than 50, and unless you are married already here, or can obtain the type of Visa needed by a certain company to stay 5, 10, or 20 years, then I do not know what to say.  Never said I did not care about peoples situations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

They still evade the point about the thousands of people like myself who are in relationship with a Thai partner still waiting for the ok to get back.

We are not tourists...

You are absolutely correct, domestic partnerships number in the 100's of thousands and unfortunately even with a child in the mix the government has no clue.  I feel extremely sad for those friends of mine still stuck in the US and can not return to there GF and children.  Not everyone gets legally married here, not even Thais as a village wedding is what seems to be the norm, and is why there are so many young woman with children and the fathers have no responsibilities.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

however the government must and will pay through a boycott of ' made in china '  by every other country.  The government must and will pay through US, Australia & UK initiatives that will cost China jobs.     imo

Absolutely nothing will happen to 'punish' China. All the world does about anything involving China's secrecy, lies, human rights abuses, censorship and bullying is to 'protest in the strongest possible terms'. That's it. China knows this and walks away from any and all condemnation laughing. And the exact same thing applies to Russia and Saudi Arabia.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Only the orange virus :whistling:

Yep, by then we will know if Trump has defeated the Globalists , left the WHO and hopefully broken the back of the unelected UN. Along with indictments for Clinton's, Obama and Comey

that remains to break up Big Tech and further drain the swamp

The only ones who may escape is Soros, Gates and Bezos

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that as part of the government’s “very, very cautious” approach to reopening borders, he does not expect Thailand to welcome leisure visitors until 2021.

Which is what most people think is correct, except a few very optimistic businesses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Did China recklessly exhibit totally unhygienic slaughter practices at it's wet markets  ?  Did China ever attempt to control the spread of the virus at it's initial commencement  ?

Did China attempt to deceive and lie to the international community about it's knowledge of the Wuhan infected and it's dangerous practices at the wet markets ?

Was the virus that has cost millions upon millions of jobs first developed or initiated in China ?

You are correct in that not every Chinese person is responsible,  however the government must and will pay through a boycott of ' made in china '  by every other country.  The government must and will pay through US, Australia & UK initiatives that will cost China jobs.     imo

the defense rests your honor

How are your investments in China doing, your supply chains, cheap products, your car factories, your aircraft customers and the only growing market for consumable goods, how is your accumulation of rare earths doing ?

5 hours ago, pookondee said:

I didnt think any other country would ever match the sheer stupidity, manic paranoia and absolute dictatorial nanny state abuse of its "sheeple" than that of my own home country.

Amazing Thailand: quickly looking like the lost identical twin of Australia.

You know what? I logged in just to upvote you (although I'm not quite sure if I got there, TBH). And now I'm gone again  .)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not so, just spent 8 days all inclusive in Phuket, cost was 35,000 thb and flights from Bangkok were under 6,000 baht for 2 people.  Rented a car while there, and spent another maybe 10,000 on outside things.  A few extras in the resort were 5800 baht, so a total of just under 60,000 but for 8 days at a 5 star resort where prior the trip would have run me around 150,000 baht.  I know still expensive for many but enjoyable as there were maybe 20 others at the resort in total, and Phuket is starving for domestic travelers.  PM if you want.

20200809_063237.jpg

IMG_20200808_161239_347.jpg

20200808_070216.jpg

I can totally agree with you, that the prices are lower at the moment, but I have no wish to travel right now. As I wrote, I have been trying to find good offers in DECEMBER, which seems to be nearly impossible. One can hope for some last minute deals, but I would like to be able to plan a little ahead.

Edited by Xonax

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not so, just spent 8 days all inclusive in Phuket, cost was 35,000 thb and flights from Bangkok were under 6,000 baht for 2 people.  Rented a car while there, and spent another maybe 10,000 on outside things.  A few extras in the resort were 5800 baht, so a total of just under 60,000 but for 8 days at a 5 star resort where prior the trip would have run me around 150,000 baht.  I know still expensive for many but enjoyable as there were maybe 20 others at the resort in total, and Phuket is starving for domestic travelers.  PM if you want.

20200809_063237.jpg

IMG_20200808_161239_347.jpg

20200808_070216.jpg

Not expensive at all looks great good job!

I am in BKK at a 5 star for less then 2000 a night.

Great time for domestic trips.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I don't agree with all the gloom prophesies. Is Covid-19 then more serious to the world economy than WW1 and WW2? The world recovered quickly after both. Airlines may go bust but there will be people with enough money to fund new ones in the future. But the world is in dire straits now, that is quite true. And the frustration because of travel restrictions is easily understandable. It is going to get worse still. Nobody likes it.

• Like 1

think about it for a moment.we have no virus here we are told ,europes opening up and trying to deal with it,asia is full of authoritarian govts so....this isnt a corona issue we have seen any slight sign of opposition smashed.students now being cited on covid rules.as for economics its  a death spiral ,its game over for construction tourism real estate and manufacturing,the govt wants to create china 2 here and moving rapidly in that direction.people in their millions will never work again,theres a growing chorus now coming from many levels in society,keep it up generals and theyll be mass demos and what goes with that in thailand.but you put people in a position where theyve little to lose and..........already many are speaking the unspeakable.....once again 10 outta 10 and go to the top of the class

I am sure this guy has been fired from his position at TAT. It will be announced later by TAT along with a new predictions that 2020 will match 2019 in tourist numbers.

Actually TAT will be happy when 2020 is over. All their 2021 predictions will show how many more tourists visits exceed 2020.

The only surprise that I have is the maroons that bought into the Thai governments nonsense about re-opening.  It's preposterous that it would happen, always was.  

2021 is beginning to look like the biggest pipe dream in history too.  I hate to say it but even if, that is if a vaccine is brought out in late winter / early spring 2021 it will NOT be widely available for a long time. 

The 2-3 year timeline is looking more like the way it's going to go.  

It's not rosy at all, no.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

"I think you're in for a surprise, this is going to be pretty widespread until the disease goes away".

Covid19 is a virus, and it's never going away. There are a lot of viruses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_virus_species  It has been suggested that Covid19 may become an annual event, like flu. They are closely related. A vaccine will help the situation but it will not stop Covid19. There is a vaccine for flu. And still, 34,200 Americans died of flu 2019. Maybe an annual lock down ? Question. Why don't we lock down for flu ? It is a killer. 

Have you been sniffing rocks?  

The flu transforms way faster than this coronavirus.  Scientists are extremely confident that this vaccine will eradicate it if it does work.

For crying out loud, stop reading prison planet dot com.  Jeez, LOL!  

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sorry Mr USA, no thankyou. We have no infection local case 75 days already. We beat covid, not want be same USA.

Schools open, factorys open, plaza open, inside restaurants, weddings, etc etc. We live again. 

Only thing is border not open. Why we want this people come in? Argue about mask, anti vax, anti social distance, anti tracing app. Idiots. 

More people die your country every 4 hour than TOTAL Thailand.

Other countrys start lockdown again. Because they stupid. Open before they control. 

I loose money because covid. I not angry thai government. (About covid). 

But I angry so much other countrys covIDIOTS, maskholes, anti vaxxer loons. 

Fighting each other black and white, lefty and hard right etc etc. 

Who pay?

Like Spain? Open two week, must close again.

Thai should die because USA selfish guy want holiday? Pffft.

Thailand be remembered for 

Thailand ranked highest in a global survey for its effective handling of Covid-19 and recovery from the crisis. The Global Covid-19 Index (GCI), published yesterday (July 28), gave Thailand an index score of 82.06, putting it on top of the global chart as an example of best practices in tackling the dreaded virus.

Link 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392083

USA remembered for? How many want go USA for holiday now? High covid, riot and looting, police killing, mass shooting etc etc

Good. 40 million every year to many. 

Damage nature to much. 

I be so so happy if covid finish tomorrow in the world same thailand. Thailand win covid in 5 weeks. 

Because 99% people follow the rule. If other countrys 30% refuse the rule, covid will win, sure. Forever.

I not want this selfish people come thailand for holiday. For what? Spread = close factorys, restaurants, plaza, schools etc etc again? 

Nobody starving Thailand. We have lot food. We help each other.

i have good idea. Everyone in USA wear mask, wash hands, social distance, tracing app, lockdown 5 weeks. You be control covid. 

THEN you be welcome thailand. We not want your virus. For what?

Many TVF member anti mask, anti vax, anti tracing app, anti social distance. I not want foreigner with selfish behavior now. Refuse listen. Care themself. One guy say he will pay the nurse throw away vaccine, not take it. 

For what?

B5229BBB-3F80-4A6C-8B6C-51A34426086B.thumb.jpeg.9161023461224256ab4e833c493611b8.jpeg67173B0D-B816-4293-B969-613CFE181C4F.thumb.jpeg.eb5f5eda8f656b27c40214ccfde1374a.jpegE696AC86-748A-409B-BC40-304E31705589.thumb.jpeg.a9dc008184df8a32dacdb61a2fc3b1ad.jpeg

AC97CB9C-3B6B-4113-BE8F-8289B69579C4.jpeg

Thailand hasn't beaten Covid if its economy gets totally wrecked. And why so much hate for the USA , they didn't bring this pandemic to the world , China did , direct your anger at them 

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Mung said:

If his prediction is correct, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's a gross overreaction at this point, and Thailand needs to learn how to live with this virus just like most of the other countries have. Either they don't understand this or they don't have the capacity, resources and facilities to handle domestic infections 

"Like most of the other countries have". Really? Just like that? We're just doing peachy everywhere  except Thailand, no worries, is that how you see it? it's been, what, 6 months now? ALL of SIX MONTHS of the worst pandemic in 100 years? A virus the likes of which has NEVER been seen, never been this contagious or deadly? There is no playbook for this kind of thing. Nobody has "learned to live with this virus". People are suffering, dying, becoming ill with stress and anxiety, becoming poor and homeless without work or money. What bizarro planet did you come from? You think anybody and everybody can just snap their fingers and everything falls into place? Your mind is so narrow it must reside in two dimensional space. You should challenge Trump to an ignorant statement contest, it would be a close one. You don't seem to have the capacity, mental resources or facilities to actually understand humanity. 

• Like 1