'AMAZING THAILAND' - SKY TV

KhaoYai

Maybe something's going on that we haven't been told yet? More likely someone forgot to cancel the latest 'Amazing Thailand' campaign on Sky TV in the UK. I rarely watch Sky so I don't know how long these adverts have been running but they are certainly running them tonight.

Why would anyone promote their country in the middle of a pandemic when the borders are closed with no changes in sight......... or are there?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johng said:

The adds are probably pre paid for ,no refund so just let them run ?

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Those ads are possibly 2020 contract and as such are non-refundable.  So they'll just play out the timeline.

I doubt that the TV companies would make them run the ads in the current sitaution.

17 hours ago, champers said:

The ad refers to the virus and is shown on BBC World News as well. Ad running for Myanmar too.

The version I saw made no reference to the virus at all - just showed some stepped rice paddies, temples etc.

Edited by KhaoYai

18 hours ago, treetops said:

Encouraging folk to book for next year in anticipation that tourism will go ahead then.

Still crazy, people are very wary about booking anything in advance at the moment. Next year? I've lived in hope, saw the stories that said maybe May, then July - the September stories are now fading fast and people are starting to say, not this year. I've given up and my wife's coming here.

To be totally honest, I think even next year is questionable - I don't think Chan-o-Cha has any plans to open the country up until a vaccine is found.  He is not prepared to accept any increase in the number of infections and has instilled fear of foreigners of any description entering the country in the population.

He's done that at the expense of the economy but 'he ain't seen nothing yet'.  Many hotels, tourist related businesses and their supply chains are in a terrible state - they are unlikely to survive if this year's high season doesn't happen.  That is on top of a general and 'worldwide' recession that is just getting underway. Whether he has made the right decision - only time will tell. The same goes for the will of the people to accept the current situation - I think we are only just beggining to see just how bad a state the economy is in and things change when people are hungry.  Talking to my wife and Thai friends, things are heading downhill fast after an initial surge when shops and factories etc. opened up.

Apparently there are anti government protests in several provinces now and they are gaining impetus - although these are not widely reported locally and I've yet to see even the Bangkok protests on UK TV.

Whether Chan-o-Cha is right to keep the country closed or not, I really don't know but to spend money on an ad campaign when there is not even a hint of the country opening up and when the potential for serious unrest is looming seems like madness to me. I doubt that ad campaign is limited to the UK so the cost will be huge - there are surely more urgent needs for that cash at the moment?

Unless they have a plan.......................

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The version I saw made no reference to the virus at all - just showed some stepped rice paddies, temples etc.

Different ad then. The one I have seen shows sights from around the globe and talks of the day when we can all meet again. Ends with Amazing Thailand logo. Not bad, actually.

• Like 1