UK steps up plans to tackle migrant Channel crossings with new commander

webfact

12 minutes ago, Opl said:

so, nobody read the news today? 

This ? =

BRIT holidaymakers have reacted with dismay after France was added to the quarantine list - as the Channel Tunnel boss warned "we're fully booked".

Tonight's decision gives half a million Brits just over a day to get back home if they want to avoid 14 days isolation.

9 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

This ? =

BRIT holidaymakers have reacted with dismay after France was added to the quarantine list - as the Channel Tunnel boss warned "we're fully booked".

Tonight's decision gives half a million Brits just over a day to get back home if they want to avoid 14 days isolation.

no, this one ... from Calais Mayor to BJ ...  "calm down"

“Therefore I appeal to Boris Johnson, saying you urgently need to calm down, and urgently need to change your methods of … dealing with migrants.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/14/calais-mayor-says-it-would-be-an-act-of-war-for-royal-navy-ships-to-enter-french-waters

Edited by Opl
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

IMO if these people have family in the UK, they should apply for a proper visa. Their family member in the UK could sponsor and act as guarantor. The same as we do for our Thai wives. One standard, for all. 

Tell me where will an asylum seeker / refugee reside as more often than not they are not permitted to work whilst they are waiting for a visa which can take years. Note:

a person has to be outside their country of nationality or usual residence when making a refugee application

• Like 1

Laws are being changed this year to deter asylum seekers,the 30 odd million France wants to accept boats returning is chicken feed. Cummings is a crafty lad foreign aid budget being used to get rid of foreigners,those that destroy identity easily overcome,the language and dialect will identify the country,countries not taking back, do not get a slice of the pie

The arrivals are in for a rough ride,BBC article Yemeni subject said he would die in wife's arms if returned to France,no good sending Get Well Soon card,was on first plane load returned,  Kent CC states no money for them,back to sleeping on the beach

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So what? Having a relative in the UK is no excuse for entering illegally.

No; but it is a reason for choosing the UK to seek asylum in rather than Germany or France.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, simple1 said:

Show us the advantages for asylum seekers / refugees in the UK, in comparison to say Germany and France, which are so financially compelling. it has long been established the large majority aim for the UK due to existing connections and language familiarity, plus the Rule of Law. 

By far the greatest level of fraud and abuse of the UK welfare system would be by UK citizens. Based upon your logic UK citizens should have their welfare withdrawn.

Your family home land is ? ..

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

No; but it is a reason for choosing the UK to seek asylum in rather than Germany or France.

Please be more specific in your reply , reasons /criteria , etc .

Lets , not mention the UK, free for all benefits system , if possible...

Edited by elliss

13 hours ago, simple1 said:

Show us the advantages for asylum seekers / refugees in the UK, in comparison to say Germany and France, which are so financially compelling. it has long been established the large majority aim for the UK due to existing connections and language familiarity, plus the Rule of Law. 

By far the greatest level of fraud and abuse of the UK welfare system would be by UK citizens. Based upon your logic UK citizens should have their welfare withdrawn.

Factual  Links ? . 

Are more valuable , than your opinions ..

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

My post was a specific response to a specific point raised by @thaibeachlovers, namely "So what? Having a relative in the UK is no excuse for entering illegally."

Which I thought was obvious as I quoted his post. But that seems to have been too subtle for you.

Mentioned and dealt with in many posts in this and other topics.

Calling the UK's benefit system 'free for all' proves only that you know very little about it.

13 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Calling the UK's benefit system 'free for all' proves only that you know very little about it.

Actually , i live in the UK , so i know quite a lot about the systems , freebie's .

Are you a British citizen . Yes or No ?..

Edited by elliss

10 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Is it possible the airplane passengers have a passport and relevant visa to enter the UK? If they did not have, they would not have been permitted to board the plane. Airport authorities do not respect passengers ripping up and binning their official ID to game the system before boarding. Sadly border patrol do not possess such wisdom and sense.

IMO if these people have family in the UK, they should apply for a proper visa. Their family member in the UK could sponsor and act as guarantor. The same as we do for our Thai wives. One standard, for all. 

Asylum seekers with a passport and a visa certainly can make a refugee claim and it's not uncommon.   They also sometimes enter by air illegally.   I am not sure how it works now, but I knew a person who got tangled up in it years ago.  It was before 9/11, so it was a different time and security was decidedly more slack but this is how it worked:

A person from a western country, in this case he was Canadian, flies to a third country where the intended refugee meets him at a pre-arranged place in the departure lounge.   The westerner has booked a flight to somewhere, such as London.   He then passes the boarding pass to asylum seeker.   The asylum seeker then boards the plane to London.  Once in the airport, the asylum seeker spends considerable time in the bathrooms and avoids going through immigration for several hours.   This way, they cannot determine what flight he came in on and where he boarded a plane.   He destroys the boarding pass (and his passport).  In due course, he heads to immigration and requests asylum.   

Immigration has little choice but to take the application.   They cannot determine what airline he came on nor which country he boarded, so the option of holding him and forcing the airline to return him to his point-of-origin is not an option. 

Of course, security is a lot tighter, but I am sure they have found some way to work around it.   Of course, the people who enter in this matter have money and a lot of it.  The person I knew was paid US$500 or more, he was flown to many different countries, he stayed in hotels for several days to avoid suspicion.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elliss said:

Actually , i live in the UK , so i know quite a lot about it .

Are you a British citizen . Yes or No ....

Living in the UK doesn't mean you know quite a lot about the UK benefit system; indeed your posts definitely prove otherwise.

I'm British and I live in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, elliss said:

One can only assume , that knowing the benefits system so well .

I don't know everything about the UK's benefit system. But I certainly know a lot more about how a person's immigration status effects what they can claim than you.

It's called researching the facts rather than repeating rumours and even downright lies. You should try it sometime.

You can start by reading a link provided many times before.

13 minutes ago, elliss said:

You live on benefits ?.

Like your previous attempt at a trap, I'm not going to answer.

If I say 'Yes' you'll call me a scrounger; if I say 'No' you'll call me a liar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, johnray said:

Any new lifeform in Dover is an improvement.  Slime, moss, yogurt.  In a few hundred years it might resemble a sustainable habitat for humans.

No,it wants to stay that way,trap them there,just like inner London,and a host of s.hit holes in the north of England

19 hours ago, simple1 said:

yep UK has currently agreed to act contrary to International Law, in a similar manner as Australia. Though isn't it extraordinary arriving by air, the majority, are not treated in the same manner. IMO double standards, if a country enacts such laws they should be removed as a signatory to the relevant UN Conventions, as they leverage the Convention/s to constantly boast how wonderful and humanitarian they are.

IMO not being a signatory to the "relevant UN conventions" can only be a first step to sanity. The UN was set up to prevent WW3, but has become a monster devouring nations with a suspect ideology. Sooner it goes the way of The League of Nations, the better IMO.

15 hours ago, simple1 said:

Tell me where will an asylum seeker / refugee reside as more often than not they are not permitted to work whilst they are waiting for a visa which can take years. Note:

a person has to be outside their country of nationality or usual residence when making a refugee application

They can reside in the first safe country they enter, which in most cases is NOT the UK.

10 hours ago, elliss said:

Factual  Links ? . 

Are more valuable , than your opinions ..

Germany - better than UK...

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/5049/how-much-money-do-refugees-in-germany-get

France - I was incorrect - lot worse than the UK...

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/15436/france-what-financial-support-can-migrants-receive#:~:text=Asylum seekers%3A&text=The amount ranges from 6.80,about 660 euros per month).

From a brief review, if I were an asylum seeker with no family in UK and able to learn German, I would head for Germany as well as likely better opportunity for work. Personally, I do not subscribe to the view that able bodied refugees generally have no ambition to improve their status and are content to stay on welfare.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, katana said:

Do try and keep up. Nigel Farage has already done two reports on the thousands of migrants currently being put up in UK hotels:

I did not say that asylum seekers are not being put up in hotels, I said they are not being put up in four star hotels.

I posted the following in another topic, but will repeat it here for your benefit.

"Migrants who have surrendered to the authorities in order to claim asylum have been put up in hotels until suitable other accommodation can be found for them.

One such group being used is Britannia Hotels. Having stayed in several Britannia hotels whilst travelling around the UK for work (booked because they are cheap!) I can confidently state that anyone who believes them to be four or even three star has either never stayed in one or has very low standards!"

I see Farage is standing outside a Holiday Inn Express in one of the videos. Whilst they are not quite as bad as Britannia, they are certainly not four star. On a par with Travelodge, from my experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bert bloggs said:
20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Living in the UK doesn't mean you know quite a lot about the UK benefit system; indeed your posts definitely prove otherwise.

I'm British and I live in the UK.

so why are you posting here?

When did TVF instigate a residential qualification?

Why not ask the same question of other posters who have said they live in the UK such as @kingdong and @elliss?

Could it be because they share your views?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2