Marriage extension

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on gaining marriage extension. I came in on a tourist exemption in March and early July opted for a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife in case the amnesty wasn't extended. My extension of stay expires 6th Sept while i could stay until 26th Sept without doing anything i prefer to have a long term option.

Can anyone advise me if i can now apply for 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. I have all the financial and other requirements just need to know if i need to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa here in Thailand first and then extension of stay or they can use my existing extension of stay and extend further

UJ is fully correct.

The granted 60-day extension of stay you applied for, provided you with a valid permission to stay till 6 September.  So it should be no problem applying from that valid permission for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Please note that you need to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa when you still have at least 15 days (some offices require 23 days) left on your permission to stay.

You only need to prove you meet the financial requirements on the day of application (so no seasoning requirements).

>> It is strongly recommended not to wait till very last day for doing the 90-day Non Imm O Visa application at CW.

This in case your application turns out to be incomplete, so you still have time and opportunity to arrange for any missing documents.

Also in the unlikely case that CW would not accept your application for the Non Imm O Visa because of you having been on the Amnesty during the preceding period, it would provide you with the option to relocate to a more accomodating IO in another province (but that would take a couple of days, hence the importance of applying with sufficient time left on your permission to stay, keeping in mind the required 15 or 23 days before expiry of that permission to stay).

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Also in the unlikely case that CW would not accept your application for the Non Imm O Visa because of you having been on the Amnesty during the preceding period, it would provide you with the option to relocate to a more accomodating IO in another province (but that would take a couple of days, hence the importance of applying with sufficient time left on your permission to stay, keeping in mind the required 15 or 23 days before expiry of that permission to stay).

That would not work. The extension of stay has to be applied for at the office where the non-o visa was issued.

Also it requires firm proof of residence when applying for it.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would not work. The extension of stay has to be applied for at the office where the non-o visa was issued.

Hi UJ, I was not referring to the 1-year extension of stay but to the initial 90-day Non Imm O Visa application.  And you are correct of course that the 1-year extension of stay application has to be done at the same IO where the Non Imm O Visa was issued.

Reason I mentioned the 'relocation' option was a recent post of an applicant at CW whose application was refused because he had been on Amnesty time during the preceding period. 

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be able to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. The first step will be to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. See: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then you could apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Yes... exactly what I just did.. I can apply for my 1 year extension in another 30 days..  Thank you Joe for your guidance.. 

@BangkokAlan

In order to apply for an annual extension of your permission of stay, you must first obtain a Non O type Visa.

As you entered on a Visa exempt entry you need to first file a TM87 to apply for the Non O.

TM87.pdf

The Non O will grant you permission of stay for a further 90 days from Sept 6th - (Dec 5th).

Within the last 30 days of that 90 days you can apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage.

The procedure is here; Non O marriage.pdf

As already mentioned you must have at least 15 days permission of stay left on your 60 day extension to apply for the Non O. I would suggest you get down to CW this week

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be able to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. The first step will be to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. See: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then you could apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Hi UJ, just to clarify does this mean I need to obtain a 90 day extension based on marriage before I can apply for a one year extension? I have a one year ME Non O visa from HCM that is valid till 25 Aug, I entered Thailand on that visa on 21st March, was given 90 days till 18th June but before date that I extended 60 days with Non O to visit Thai wife that is valid till 15th September. I note the OP obtained a 60 day Non O to visit Thai Wife (from tourist visa) is that why he needs to get the 90 day extension first? Maybe I misunderstood as I thought I could apply for the one year extension around the 1st week of September? 

9 minutes ago, andyrobbo said:

Hi UJ, just to clarify does this mean I need to obtain a 90 day extension based on marriage before I can apply for a one year extension? I have a one year ME Non O visa from HCM that is valid till 25 Aug, I entered Thailand on that visa on 21st March, was given 90 days till 18th June but before date that I extended 60 days with Non O to visit Thai wife that is valid till 15th September. I note the OP obtained a 60 day Non O to visit Thai Wife (from tourist visa) is that why he needs to get the 90 day extension first? Maybe I misunderstood as I thought I could apply for the one year extension around the 1st week of September? 

UJ's response was to the OP who entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa, and in that case you first need to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa before being able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

But you entered Thailand on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa, so you can directly apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that ME Non Imm O Visa.  Be aware that applying for the 1-year extension of stay, that you need to do this before your 15 September permission to stay expires (in order to avoid any problems because of not being on a 'valid' permission to stay).  And that you would need to meet the seasoning requirements of your funds on the day of application (ultimately 15 Sept).  If you did not already start doing so, your options are limited to the monthly +40K income-transfer method or the Embassy issued income-statement, as there is insufficient time left for you to still meet the 2-month seasoning requirement for the +400K funds-in-bank method. 

I could be wrong but,  I think you ust wait until your current visa is up.  I also think you must leave the country (even for only 1 day).  Then upon arrival apply for the visa with all the needed documents.  Most of the ground work can be completed before leaving the country.  Option 2  is the famous brown envelope.  I a likely going to switch from Q-A Retirement to O Married and was told by the local Imm. Office I would have to wait until my current visa expired, leave the country return and apply for the type O Visa.

4 minutes ago, american2 said:

I could be wrong but,  I think you ust wait until your current visa is up.  I also think you must leave the country (even for only 1 day).  Then upon arrival apply for the visa with all the needed documents. 

You could be right, that your wrong. ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

UJ's response was to the OP who entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa, and in that case you first need to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa before being able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

But you entered Thailand on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa, so you can directly apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that ME Non Imm O Visa.  Be aware that applying for the 1-year extension of stay, that you need to do this before your 15 September permission to stay expires (in order to avoid any problems because of not being on a 'valid' permission to stay).  And that you would need to meet the seasoning requirements of your funds on the day of application (ultimately 15 Sept).  If you did not already start doing so, your options are limited to the monthly +40K income-transfer method or the Embassy issued income-statement, as there is insufficient time left for you to still meet the 2-month seasoning requirement for the +400K funds-in-bank method. 

Thanks Peter for clarifying, that's what I thought. I'm going for monthly income and have been transferring 40k+ per month from the UK (Transferwise) since June (will show June, July, August, September)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyrobbo said:

Thanks Peter for clarifying, that's what I thought. I'm going for monthly income and have been transferring 40k+ per month from the UK (Transferwise) since June (will show June, July, August, September)

What Thai bank have you been transferring into Andy?

15 minutes ago, andyrobbo said:

Hi Andy,

Only TWO +40K transfers (with foreign origins proven) required and that in the two months preceding your application.  But some IOs - incorrectly - still insist on THREE of such transfers.  

I PM-ed you some info on how to get hold of the IO-required evidence that those TW transfers you did, originated from abroad (irrespective of  which thai Bank you had the funds transferred to on your personal thai bank-account).

Edited by Peter Denis

28 minutes ago, american2 said:

I could be wrong but,  I think you ust wait until your current visa is up.  I also think you must leave the country (even for only 1 day).  Then upon arrival apply for the visa with all the needed documents.  Most of the ground work can be completed before leaving the country.  Option 2  is the famous brown envelope.  I a likely going to switch from Q-A Retirement to O Married and was told by the local Imm. Office I would have to wait until my current visa expired, leave the country return and apply for the type O Visa.

HI american2,

Switching to a Non Imm O marriage Visa from your current Non Imm O-A Visa is not only not required but also - with borders closed - currently impossible.

It would be far more simple to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of MARRIAGE. 

Also no need for any Brown Envelopes for something as simple as applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on a Visa from which the permission to  stay has not expired yet.

If you need specific information on how to do it, just post here:

- Your current Visa situation > On which Visa did you last enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay (as stamped in your passport) from that entry?

- Did you apply in mean time for extensions of stay, and if so what's the permission to stay date from your last extension of stay?

- What is your age, nationality, and are you officially married to a thai national or have thai dependant children?

- What is your IO?

My extension of stay expired on May 30th while unable to return to Thailand. I reentered on August 18th on a repatriation flight on a non immigration o 90 day visa  based on medical. Eye surgery was scheduled for June , now rescheduled on September 3rd. I have this 90 dayVisa, is my next step to go immigration and take required information and documents and apply for a new non o based on retirement? 

Edited by ryane66
Correction

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

UJ is fully correct.

The granted 60-day extension of stay you applied for, provided you with a valid permission to stay till 6 September.  So it should be no problem applying from that valid permission for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Please note that you need to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa when you still have at least 15 days (some offices require 23 days) left on your permission to stay.

You only need to prove you meet the financial requirements on the day of application (so no seasoning requirements).

>> It is strongly recommended not to wait till very last day for doing the 90-day Non Imm O Visa application at CW.

This in case your application turns out to be incomplete, so you still have time and opportunity to arrange for any missing documents.

Not true, tried that (mine ends Sep 16th) and they have stated as you would have gone into the corona period during the period you can not apply for such... been twice... different IO each time. (exact same sit)

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Not true, tried that (mine ends Sep 16th) and they have stated as you would have gone into the corona period during the period you can not apply for such... been twice... different IO each time. (exact same sit)

Obviously, it is impossible with so little detail to provide a meaningful response to your post

If you need specific information, just post here:

- Your current Visa situation > On which Visa did you last enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay (as stamped in your passport) from that entry?

- Did you apply in mean time for extensions of stay, and if so for which reason and what where the permission to stay dates from those last extensions of stay?

- What is your age, nationality, and are you officially married to a thai national or have thai dependant children?

- What is your IO?

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

My extension of stay expired on May 30th while unable to return to Thailand. I reentered on August 18th on a repatriation flight on a non immigration o 90 day visa  based on medical. Eye surgery was scheduled for June , now rescheduled on September 3rd. I have this 90 dayVisa, is my next step to go immigration and take required information and documents and apply for a new non o based on retirement? 

It's only August 10th today. Either your day or month is incorrect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

- Did you apply in mean time for extensions of stay, and if so for which reason and what where the permission to stay dates from those last extensions of stay?

He was granted a 60 day extension based on marriage two weeks ago, but Phuket Immigration are refusing him a 1 year extension based on marriage due to the fact he had an extension of stay from the amnesty.

So much for saving those 60 day extensions when the IO's don't follow the rules. ????

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

Sorry July 18th return date.

Thanks, if you entered on July 18th your 'permitted to stay until' stamp should be dated October 15th.

Operation scheduled for Sept 3rd - question is will you be able to travel and leave Thailand by Oct 15th?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Thanks, if you entered on July 18th your 'permitted to stay until' stamp should be dated October 15th.

Operation scheduled for Sept 3rd - question is will you be able to travel and leave Thailand by Oct 15th?

No , my previous extension of stay expired on May 30th while out of Thailand and unable to return. I now have a 90 day non immigration o based on medical. Looking for advice on the process to apply for a new non immigration o based on retirement. 

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

So what would happen if you're already on a 1 year extension based on marriage, and you move to a different province? Will you not be able to make the next 1 year extension at the new office?

58 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

No , my previous extension of stay expired on May 30th while out of Thailand and unable to return. I now have a 90 day non immigration o based on medical. Looking for advice on the process to apply for a new non immigration o based on retirement. 

Yes, I understand that, you entered on a new Non O 90 day Visa on July 18th.

Therefore your 'permitted to stay' stamp you received at the airport on entry should be dated Oct 15th.

Enter July 18th > 90 days > Oct 15th.

Operation Sept 3rd - what date is your return flight?

You can only apply for another extension based on medical grounds (not retirement).

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, I understand that, you entered on a new Non O 90 day Visa on July 18th.

Therefore your 'permitted to stay' stamp you received at the airport on entry should be dated Oct 15th.

Enter July 18th > 90 days > Oct 15th.

Operation Sept 3rd - what date is your return flight?

You can only apply for another extension based on medical grounds (not retirement).

I don't want another extension. My previous visa/extension of stay expired while l was stuck outside of Thailand. I want to apply for a new non immigration o based on retirement. I have no return flight. The Thai Embassy that issued the 90 day non immigration o medical indicated l could apply for a non immigration o based on retirement once l was in Thailand. 

14 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

I don't want another extension. My previous visa/extension of stay expired while l was stuck outside of Thailand. I want to apply for a new non immigration o based on retirement. I have no return flight. The Thai Embassy that issued the 90 day non immigration o medical indicated l could apply for a non immigration o based on retirement once l was in Thailand. 

Well, that's a new one on me!

You already have a Non O (based on medical). Why didn't you apply for a Non O based on retirement instead at the Thai Embassy.

Alternatively you could have entered VE, or TV, then applied for a Non O based on retirement.

You may be able to apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement changing the reason of stay from medical to retirement, but I've never heard of that before.

Maybe @ubonjoe can provide some light on the issue.

Edited by Tanoshi