Marriage extension

Its really pot luck which immigration office you go to as mine IO gave me a choice, they said you can extend your Non O by 60 days or the 12 month extension before sept 26. Of course I will try the 1 year extension and if denied as Im doing the 40k 2 monthly transfers from abroad method, I will do the 60 day option they gave me which will buy me some time.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember.. I missed out on the 200/400 K Bht for Marry Extension about 30 years ago. Was told at the time those who were on that low rate would remain on it. Anyone out there confirm this. Doubt it will  be the case when it jumps to 800/1600 next time. With all this Agent  fiddling going on i fear a big clamp down looms. The Boss that lasted but a short time all but said so.

43 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Does anyone remember.. I missed out on the 200/400 K Bht for Marry Extension about 30 years ago. Was told at the time those who were on that low rate would remain on it. Anyone out there confirm this.

There is no amnesty for those that were on extension based upon marriage. There is one for those on retirement extension in October of 1998 if they have been getting a new one every year since then.

I don't think they will be raising the financial requirements anytime soon unless the baht falls to 40 baht or more to the dollar.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no amnesty for those that were on extension based upon marriage. There is one for those on retirement extension in October of 1998 if they have been getting a new one every year since then.

I don't think they will be raising the financial requirements anytime soon unless the baht falls to 40 baht or more to the dollar.

Thats spot on. My Chum died in 1999. Thanks for the confirm.

On 8/11/2020 at 4:14 PM, Tanoshi said:

Agreed Jack, however you only quoted part of my reply to 'Ryane66'

He was issued a 90 day Non O based on medical and the Thai Embassy led him to believe he could apply for a further 90 Non O based on retirement after entering Thailand at Immigration.

I suggested a 1 year extension based on retirement from his Non Imm O (medical) would be at the discretion of Immigration.

Technically you are correct, orders only state a Non Imm type Visa.

However IO's have been known to refuse 1 year retirement extensions from Non Imm B's, insisting on a Non O, whilst others have accepted the change of reason of stay.

The embassy told him the truth - legally speaking.  But agree he could face difficulties (and after considerable trouble to get here) - just as those trying to switch between non-b and other extensions face, if not using an agent. 

It is certainly possible he will need to use a "law firm" or agent to do the 1-year extension - but we don't have many reports going from medical 90-day entries, so he might get lucky.

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@Jenkins9039

Dreadful situation, and if feel for you.

It is more than strange that Phuket IO is not accepting your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you are on a still valid (till 12 Sept) 60-days permission to stay.  And using the 'virtual' overstay argument to deny your 90-day Non Imm O Visa application, must also be a First.

It also flies in the face of a recent CW case > application from a TouristVisa with expired permission to stay, who applied for his not yet used 30-day extension of stay as stepping stone to get the valid permission to stay to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  So there is a clear precedent here of someone having been on virtual overstay AND successfully applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

Imo temporarily relocating to a province with a more accomodating IO would be your best option if Phuket IO is not inclined to change its outerworldly stance in your case. 

Applying with your valid 60-day permission to stay at a different IO will as good as certain be accepted.  However, be aware that you still need to have at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) left on your current permission to stay when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  So application needs to be done latest 28 August (or 20 August, if IO requires 23-day).

And of course you would need some time to 'shop around' for a more accomodating IO and rent a temporary place in that province, as you would need proof of residence to first do your TM30 (or TM27) relocation at that IO in order to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  Do you have by any chance friends/relatives in other provinces that might be willing to allow you temporarily to stay at their place (provided the IO in their province is willing to accept your application, which should normally not be a problem)?

Hi, planning to visit another branch in the morning, i read somewhere it was 30 days (tomorrow would be 31 days).

I've never been without a visa so this is all odd, also I've never used an agent, but as a backup have a agent checking tomorrow (around the same time i hope to be completing it at immigration).

I am also going to do something else I've never done before, put double the money in the passport, in the hope that alleviates any jitters for the IO, at this point i am currently having a new extension put on the home, and can't not be here whilst the work is going on because if it goes wrong, I'd be out of pocket 7 figures.

If both the trip tomorrow or the agent responds its not possible for them also, I will then head south where i have a home in each province and attempt an overnight at both, before going to Bangkok, and then possibly Chaing Mai.

But like you said, its concerning.

7 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Hi, planning to visit another branch in the morning, i read somewhere it was 30 days (tomorrow would be 31 days).

I've never been without a visa so this is all odd, also I've never used an agent, but as a backup have a agent checking tomorrow (around the same time i hope to be completing it at immigration).

I am also going to do something else I've never done before, put double the money in the passport, in the hope that alleviates any jitters for the IO, at this point i am currently having a new extension put on the home, and can't not be here whilst the work is going on because if it goes wrong, I'd be out of pocket 7 figures.

If both the trip tomorrow or the agent responds its not possible for them also, I will then head south where i have a home in each province and attempt an overnight at both, before going to Bangkok, and then possibly Chaing Mai.

But like you said, its concerning.

Visiting another branche to enquire whether they would be willing to accept your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on the 'valid' permission to stay that the 60-day extension provided you, is indeed useful.  As I wrote it is as good as certain that any other IO will accept such application as the 'virtual overstay' argument used by Phuket IO to not accept your application is very very strange (and almost certainly an incorrect interpretation by the specific officer that handled your application - see also the CW precedent of an applicant successfully doing what you were denied).

But when you get the 'All OK' from the branche where you enquired, you would first need to relocate there, because you can only apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the IO where you have your residence (and in your case that is Phuket IO who provided you with the 60-day extension of stay, making that your 'official residence'). 

As mentioned earlier, it is just a matter of doing a temporary/administrative relocation.  The IO handling your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa will want you to have your official residence at a place in their province. 

To avoid any problems with 'home visits' to check whether you and your thai wife are indeed living at that new place, it would be recommended NOT to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage (which will incur a 3-4 week 'under consideration' period during which a home-visit check by Immigration might take place), but to apply for reason of RETIREMENT.

You can only apply for the Retirement Visa when you are over 50 years of age (you didn't mention your age in your previous posts).  The financial requirements to be proven on date of application are higher (800K using the funds-in-bank method or transfers of 65K using the monthly-income transfer method).  And for BOTH methods you would need to provide evidence of the foreign origins of these funds (but should be no problem as your thai bank will be able to provide these - PM me for more details), and when using the +65K monthly income transfer you might also be asked to provide evidence of the source of that foreign income.

When applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, it will not incur a 'home visit' (except when doing this in the Bangkok area, where they will do a home check in first week of your application).  And also as 'retiree' just renting a small room (even a hotel-room will do) is sufficient as you only need an 'address' (contrary to the marriage application, where IO will want to check whether you and your thai wife are actually living there, to check whether it is a real marriage and not a fake one to allow you to stay in Thailand long-term).

> Feel free to PM me if you have questions re the above which you don't want to discuss on the open Forum.

8 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

You've never had a Visa from your previous posts.

Entered Visa exempt > 30 day extension > 60 day extension.

I asked you unanswered in post #59

Was it your intention to remain long term in Thailand when you first entered Visa exempt in February, or was it because of the developing Covid situation you decide not to return to the UK.

If as you now state you have to stay to oversee a house build, I just wonder why you didn't obtain a 90 day Non Imm O Visa in the UK before entering, then you could have applied directly for the 1 year extension in April/May.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and seems consistently inconsistent is flavour of the month.

Im also on a multiple non o that expired on 12 May 2020. Date stamped from immigration was 3rd March and then received a 60 day extension based on marriage which takes me to the 1st May

Im 46, Australian and married for 10 plus years and never had any previous issues at Phuket for non 0, work visas and been a fairly straightforward for the most part and used to shifting requirements based on the day, officer

Based on what Ive read I dont expect too many options but open to ideas as not a fan of paying rent here and overseas as well as helping my son with car payments and settle into Bangers after losing his job in Phuket. 

If anyone can suggest a local firm if thats my last option and also someone shared some tips on how to show international bank statements instead of domestic.

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Charlatans said:

... and also someone shared some tips on how to show international bank statements instead of domestic.

Did PM you the info on how to ensure that you can provide evidence that the transfers to your personal thai bank-account originated from abroad (and this irrespective which method you used to transfer them, or at which thai bank you have your personal bank-account).

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

25 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Is there anything else I should do to prepare--passport, marriage cert. other documents, etc...?

Those are not needed. Only your passport would be needed and maybe your wife's ID card.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Got a phone call today that the house visit is tomorrow morning. ????

Despite the short notice, we've got a neighbor willing to come over with a copy of his ID and house book.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare--passport, marriage cert. other documents, etc...?

Thanks!

I had a call yesterday for my home visit which they completed toady giving us 30 minutes notice of their arrival, two officers came took 3 photos with us, the witness and 1 officer. 1 outside apt building,  1 outside apt door with number and 1 sitting on sofa. Took a copy of my wife and the witness ID, also copied my bank book and passport. Asked our witness some questions who has been my wife best friend and known me for 11 years so she knew all the details. Took about 45 minutes all together. Again polite, friendly and efficient officers. An overview for anyone applying at CW office. I was told all ok so i will attend on 26th August as schedule and hope to get my 90 day Non-immigrant O based on marriage.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, up-country_sinclair said:

My application was finally approved yesterday and is no longer "under consideration".  The extension of stay is until September 26th 2021 even though I applied in the beginning of August.

Good luck to everyone still sorting out your visa situations.  ????

Congratulations, and wow! That took a long time, do you know why? The house visit was 4 weeks ago right? 

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

Congratulations, and wow! That took a long time, do you know why?

There is a under consideration period for a extension of stay based upon marriage. The under consideration stamp has a report back date on it that is either 30 days from the day you apply or from day you current permit to stay ends dependent upon the office where it was applied for.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed typo

Applied for 1 year extension based on marriage at Satun today.  I was earlier on amnesty with a expired multiple entry non-o and entry stamp that ran out 9th june.  First did a 60 day extension because i thought i needed it for doing the 1 year extension. 

Application was accepted and i was given a under consideration stamp. 

Money needs to stay in the bank during under consideration period. 

Process at the office took about 4 hours, 80+ pages of documents and copies.  Was also required to bring two goverment employees as witnesses,  they didnt tell us earlier that both of them needed to bring copies of their tambien baans so 1 out of the 4 hours was actually waiting for the witnesses to go back home and get their tambien baans. 

Cant say i had a great experience but i feel more sorry for the woman who did our case because it sure was alot of paperwork for her too and the boss was hassling her troughout the day while she was trying to help us. 

We're gonna buy her a snackbasket as a thank you when i go back to get the final stamp. 

Edited by Okis
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is a under consideration period for a extension of stay based upon marriage. The under consideration stamp has a report back date on it that is either 30 days from the day you apply or from day you current permit to stay ends dependent upon the office where it was applied for.

Issue solved

Edited by Peter Denis

26 minutes ago, Okis said:

Applied for 1 year extension based on marriage at Satun today.  I was earlier on amnesty with a expired multiple entry non-o and entry stamp that ran out 9th june.  First did a 60 day extension because i thought i needed it for doing the 1 year extension. 

Process at the office took about 4 hours, 80+ pages of documents and copies.  Was also required to bring two goverment employees as witnesses,  they didnt tell us earlier that both of them needed to bring copies of their tambien baans so 1 out of the 4 hours was actually waiting for the witnesses to go back home and get their tambien baans. 

Cant say i had a great experience but i feel more sorry for the woman who did our case because it sure was alot of paperwork for her too and the boss was hassling her troughout the day while she was trying to help us. 

We're gonna buy her a snackbasket as a thank you when i go back to get the final stamp. 

Give her a Wai. that is all you need to do.

There are some gems out there though.

My IO asked for chocolate on my initial ext. Nope, they had a sign on the wall saying "No Bribes", what do you do?

1 hour ago, Okis said:

Good old Satun, used to like living there.

So when did your 60-day extension run out, or were you still on it today when applying? 

Never heard of having to bring witnesses! 
When does your under-consideration end, a month from today? 

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

Give her a Wai. that is all you need to do.

There are some gems out there though.

My IO asked for chocolate on my initial ext. Nope, they had a sign on the wall saying "No Bribes", what do you do?

Both me and my wife waied her and praised her for the help.  We will def give a gift next time because she was really trying to help us while her boss was hanging over her for hours complaining how she missed that and this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

Good old Satun, used to like living there.

The 60 days havent run out yet.  However when i was down at the office the last time in august they told me i could've just done the 1 year straight away and it wasnt necessary to do the 60 day extension first. 

My own fault for wasting time on that one since i didnt really ask about first we were down there and i just assumed it was a must because of what was said online at that time. 

So when did your 60-day extension run out, or were you still on it today when applying? 

Never heard of having to bring witnesses! 
When does your under-consideration end, a month from today? 

The 60 days havent run out yet.  However when i was down at the office the last time in august they told me i could've just done the 1 year straight away and it wasnt necessary to do the 60 day extension first. 

My own fault for wasting time on that one since i didnt really ask about it the first time we were down there and i just assumed it was a must because of what was being said online at that time. 

Yes it ends 9th october. 

20200909_194654.jpg

Edited by Okis