Where to buy mature trees?

I very frequently drive up from Chonburi to Khao Yai, and I usually do by starting off aiming for Nakhon Nayok, and then through Ban Na and join the Saraburi to Korat road about 10 km east of Saraburi, near the cement factory. 

On the Ban Na to Saraburi Road at the Ban Na end  (The 3222 Road?) there are several places where people seem to be growing quite large trees, like the one in your photo, often in old truck tyres around the roots, and I quite often get stuck behind trucks carrying these trees on their load bed. So I suppose these trees are for sale, as they are not growing them for fun!

Don't know if this helps. 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, John Begg said:

I very frequently drive up from Chonburi to Khao Yai, and I usually do by starting off aiming for Nakhon Nayok, and then through Ban Na and join the Saraburi to Korat road about 10 km east of Saraburi, near the cement factory. 

On the Ban Na to Saraburi Road at the Ban Na end  (The 3222 Road?) there are several places where people seem to be growing quite large trees, like the one in your photo, often in old truck tyres around the roots, and I quite often get stuck behind trucks carrying these trees on their load bed. So I suppose these trees are for sale, as they are not growing them for fun!

Don't know if this helps. 

Thank you so much, I resolved. There is an area near Korat called Pak Kruat. Plenty of trees there, bought two.

The tree pictured being offloaded from the truck appears to be a Ficus species, probably Ficus microcarpa, Chinese banyan.

I caution about buying these field grown large trees in Thailand, there are some potential problems with the way they are traumatized and dug out with an extremely small root ball in relation to the maturity of the tree. All the absorbing roots are lost with the balling process, creating extreme physiological stress. The cut roots often become infected with soil borne pathogens, causing wood decay infections which progress up into the root collar in two to five years. The decay can cause loss of conduction of water and nutrients, and can also cause structural failure as the tree grows in size. 

When I was doing tree care consultations in Chiang Mai, I had many calls for trees that were purchased like this for an instant effect, but then after a few years in the ground were in decline or had extreme root and root crown decay, or had toppled due to root rot. 

It's better to start with younger trees, select a good location with good growing conditions, water and fertilize properly and allow them to develop a healthy root system. Usually they will overtake the growth of the poorly managed larger trees within a few years, and be healthier and more structurally sound in the long term. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, drtreelove said:

The tree pictured being offloaded from the truck appears to be a Ficus species, probably Ficus microcarpa, Chinese banyan.

I caution about buying these field grown large trees in Thailand, there are some potential problems with the way they are traumatized and dug out with an extremely small root ball in relation to the maturity of the tree. All the absorbing roots are lost with the balling process, creating extreme physiological stress. The cut roots often become infected with soil borne pathogens, causing wood decay infections which progress up into the root collar in two to five years. The decay can cause loss of conduction of water and nutrients, and can also cause structural failure as the tree grows in size. 

When I was doing tree care consultations in Chiang Mai, I had many calls for trees that were purchased like this for an instant effect, but then after a few years in the ground were in decline or had extreme root and root crown decay, or had toppled due to root rot. 

It's better to start with younger trees, select a good location with good growing conditions, water and fertilize properly and allow them to develop a healthy root system. Usually they will overtake the growth of the poorly managed larger trees within a few years, and be healthier and more structurally sound in the long term. 

Thank you. Actually your reply comes a couple of days after I bought two magnificent ones, I hope they will be OK.
I bought them in Ko Kruet, 10km from Korat City centre.
The biggest one is, I was told a 12 year old: Ton KraTon (Careya Sferica)
The second one is, I was told about 10 year old: Ton Kenaa (dolicandrone serrulata).
Any congratulations or advice or correction to names and ages I will be happy to receive. ????

SmartSelect_20200813-154554_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200813-154615_Gallery.jpg