6 Tips to Play Your Best Golf in Thailand with a Caddie

ASEAN NOW Golf

6 Tips to Play Your Best Golf in Thailand with a Caddie

60857139_2601947533172105_865402151701053440_o.jpg.1efeacb0c54c751ab9ee69db86ec967c.jpg

We have all had our ups and downs on the golf course and whilst most of us used to play back in our home countries without a caddie, in Thailand, it’s part and parcel of the golf package.

I am sure you miss the days of being able to carry or push your own bag and take out the club you want, read the greens by yourself, mark your own ball, and have no one to blame but yourself (as it should be) if you miss a putt or shank one into the trees!

However, with a caddie it can feel like an easy escape from a bad round and it’s easy to put the blame on someone else. Before you do, hold it right there…what if there’s a number of ways in which you can have the most enjoyable experience on the golf course and play your best golf…with a caddie?

Known as Thailand’s “secret weapon”, here is 6 ways to make your caddie and Thai golf experience more enjoyable:

1.    First and most importantly, create a rapport with your caddie quickly. Do the basics, ask your caddie her name, tell her you’re going to have fun today, smile and generally have a positive attitude.

2.    Put your caddy to the test on the greens straight away. Figure out early on if your Thailand golf caddie is any good at reading greens. Take her to the putting green if you have time and ask her to read a couple of practice puts for you. Accept her early reads and see how she does. If she is not so accurate (and remember, they are human so they can make mistakes) laugh about it and make a mental note to rely more on your own judgment for the rest of the round.

Read more: https://www.foremanagement.com/blog-news-press/2020/4/2/6-tips-to-play-your-best-golf-in-thailand-with-a-caddie

FORE%C2%B0-logo-main@2x.png

-- Copyright Fore Management Group

From the linked article 

6.    Always tip fairly. The typical tip for a round is 400 Thai Baht

Possibly in Bangkok and depends on definition of "typical".

300 is considered acceptable on the Pattaya courses that I play at. 

36 minutes ago, topt said:

From the linked article 

Possibly in Bangkok and depends on definition of "typical".

300 is considered acceptable on the Pattaya courses that I play at. 

Which makes the caddy fee more like 650 baht -- whether you wanted/needed a caddy or not.

Compulsory caddies and compulsory carts make golf too expensive.

15 hours ago, fulhamster said:

Which makes the caddy fee more like 650 baht -- whether you wanted/needed a caddy or not.

Compulsory caddies and compulsory carts make golf too expensive.

Too expensive for you.

All in still 1/2 to 1/3 then what I pay back home.

bkk6060

Too expensive for you.

All in still 1/2 to 1/3 then what I pay back home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.

Expats on a fixed pension income have to consider carefully where/how they spend what little disposable income they have. Family expenditure must come first, ie food/utilities/school fees etc.

Golf is a luxury for some, moreso with the current fx rates.

Doubtless you are on a healthy income whereby you don't have to worry about what you spend.

Good for you.

Edited by fulhamster
Typo

5 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

I would have thought number 1 rule would be Dont hit caddie in face with ball

I thought the number 1 rule was "keep your eye on the ball"

...the number 2 rule was "keep your other eye on your iPhone least your caddy wind up with it because you're a cheap charlie and only tip 250-300 thb".  

...the number 3 rule was "keep the eyes in the back of your head on the lookout for your girlfriend/wife as they may become extremely jealous when you're seen taking a walk with your pretty caddy". 

My wife plays as well, and she’s keen to play three times a week, So the tipping can get a little expensive.

As we tend to always play the course where we have membership, I only really need the Caddie to pull the clubs And tell me <deleted> my ball went As if it goes more than about 100 yards then it’s out of view as far as I’m concerned....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 5:23 AM, fulhamster said:

Expats on a fixed pension income have to consider carefully where/how they spend what little disposable income they have...........school fees etc.

We all have to make careful consideration of how we elect to spend precious little we have.  And golf is indeed a luxury, first world consumable which I dearly love.

But one would think prudent planning would lead to living on pension and school fees being mutually exclusive.

Typical apologists <deleted> . 

Expect little , demand nothing , MAKE SURE SHE HAS A GOOD TIME ( for <deleted>;s sake) and over tip so she will have a pleasant evening .  Why not invite her into the shower and provide the strap on so she can finish the job when you drop the soap .

I miss thailand but I don't miss getting played for a mug with the compulsory caddy scam .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1