Pattaya’s homeless problem comes to the attention of resort’s authorities

webfact

Pattaya’s homeless problem comes to the attention of resort’s authorities

6pm.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

Ruk Siam News reported that Pattaya police, a homeless organization and officials from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security and other special forces were out in force clearing homeless people and beggars off the streets. 

A force of 50 were determined to clear up Pattaya once and for all. 

The media said on Facebook that the problem of vagrancy in Pattaya was "chronic" and the image they present was unseemly for what they described as a "world class resort". 

Despite many attempts to clear the hobos out the problem persisted resulting in the action on Friday. 

Two areas were targeted - the first being beach road in the south Pattaya area and Soi Bua Khao. 

6pm2.jpg

The homeless and beggars were loaded on a police vehicle and taken to the station to have their records checked. 

Some "mental cases" ran off after hurling foul mouthed insults at the authorities, they said. 

The second place targeted for action was Walking Street. Virtually nothing was open and there weren't any vagrants.

117035123_3496959790337330_874098457473586179_o.jpg

So the authorities made do with a few Cambodians selling things on the street. 

Six people were reportedly taken in. Fines were issued. 

Cambodians would be deported and Thais would be helped by the homeless people's organisation, said the media.

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-10

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Some "mental cases" ran off after hurling foul mouthed insults at the authorities, they said.

Now those are the guys I like to give a few baht too ????

You could buy them a pint next time you're in the pub.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant

Sure that's what wikiwhatever says, but do people actually say "I'm a hobo" or "I'm a vagrant"?  I doubt it. 

It's a label attached to them, not something they would profess to be. A bunch of crappy circumstances has put them on the street with no roof over their head.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"A hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant, especially one who is impoverished. The term originated in the Western—probably Northwestern—United States around 1890. Unlike a "tramp", who works only when forced to, and a "bum", who does not work at all, a "hobo" is a traveling worker. " Wikipedia.

Remains non the less derogatory in the 21st century.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"A hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant, especially one who is impoverished. The term originated in the Western—probably Northwestern—United States around 1890. Unlike a "tramp", who works only when forced to, and a "bum", who does not work at all, a "hobo" is a traveling worker. " Wikipedia.

Should just call these people *homeless/jobless*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The media said on Facebook that the problem of vagrancy in Pattaya was "chronic" and the image they present was unseemly for what they described as a "world class resort". 

Despite many attempts to clear the hobos out the problem persisted resulting in the action on Friday. 

Apart from the fact that Pattaya has been "Purged of some seen to undesirables" or possibly people just down on their luck ......

How on earth can you have Vagrancy & "World Class Resort" in the same context ......LOL

Excuse me are these people the same "Hobos"  (Possibly people just down on their luck) plus the fact that they are people none the less, you would love dearly to vote for you next time around ...........!!!

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

is there not a local temple that could take some of these people in and help feed them get them back on their feet ? i could be wrong but is that not one of the reasons temples are open ?

You are right, every man can have a shelter and food in a temple in Thailand

however they need to comply with the rules of the temple, no smoking, no drink

alcohol, respect the hours, work to clean the temple and so on

a lot of the homeless are drug or alcohol addicts, they are unable

and don't want to respect any rule, the problem is the same in western countries.

Plus you have the problem of the women, a lot of them want stay with their ''boyfriend''

and vice versa, and the temples don't accept couples.

It's not simple and there is no quick solution to solve the problem.

By chance you don't have here (Yet) on the sidewalk hordes of 10\15

homeless with dogs, both with agressives behaviour. like it is in my country of origin.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are right, every man can have a shelter and food in a temple in Thailand

however they need to comply with the rules of the temple, no smoking, no drink

alcohol, respect the hours, work to clean the temple and so on

a lot of the homeless are drug or alcohol addicts, they are unable

and don't want to respect any rule, the problem is the same in western countries.

Plus you have the problem of the women, a lot of them want stay with their ''boyfriend''

and vice versa, and the temples doesn't accept couples.

It's not simple and there is no quick solution to solve the problem.

I have never seen a homeless man living inside a temple 

48 minutes ago, Stocky said:

but do people actually say "I'm a hobo" or "I'm a vagrant"?

Well, some people say "I am a politician", and not only do they get away with it, but they sometime get respect for it... Go figure... 

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have never seen a homeless man living inside a temple 

Maybe because they look like monks?

A temple is not a free hotel, as i said if you want

free shelter and food you need to comply with the temple rules

i mean all the rules, he is not anymore a homeless, he becomes

a novice if the abbot agree 

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They had money?

The fines were for the Cambodians selling things .

Not a clever way to end homelessness , fine the people who are earning money , stop them from selling things and take their money................which will actually make them homeless