Pattaya’s homeless problem comes to the attention of resort’s authorities

webfact

20 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have never seen a homeless man living inside a temple 

Dtittabawan on Sukumvit Rd has a lot of people living in the abandoned buildings there. Often on the songtaew someone smells really bad and you can tell they will get out there. 

14 hours ago, impulse said:

You're judging based on totally arbitrary criteria.  Here's a judgement based on numbers alone...

In 2019, Bangkok ranked 1st surpassing Paris and London in Mastercard's list of "Global Destination Cities Index 2019" with 22.78 million visitors. Phuket was 14th with 9.89 million visitors and Pattaya 15th with 9.44 million visitors.

15th most popular destination in the world...  That's world class.  In terms of strictly beach towns it's #2 in the world, behind Phuket.  Which, I'm sure, will put even more panties into a wad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GDCI-Global-Report-FINAL-1.pdf

Oooh...  And just to rub it in...  Thailand has the #1 destination city, and the #1 and #2 destination beach towns IN THE WORLD.  Maybe TAT is doing something right after all?

Yes but most of these visitors mentioned  are from China and Russia. I wonder if they estimated it on number of room nights booked would be different. 6 people to a room isn't really world class.

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Are these people long term homeless or have they recently become homeless due to the pandemic ?

Most of them are long term homeless

they are just more visible now

a ''normal'' Thai can not be homeless

there is always a shelter for him in the family home

or in a temple if he doesn't have a family

the ones sleeping in the streets in Thailand are usually drug or alcool addicts

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Most of them are long term homeless

they are just more visible now

a ''normal'' Thai can not be homeless

there is always a shelter for him in the family home

or in a temple if he doesn't have a family

the ones sleeping in the streets in Thailand are usually drug or alcool addicts

I know a girl freelancing in Pattaya. In the past she would send her Mother money and bought a food stall for her. Now her Mum is sending her money cause she claims she hasn't had a client in 3 months. I said "Why not go back to the Village She said her ex husband is a yaba addict and  would kill her if she did and showed me a scar running 4 inches up her stomach from the last time he stabbed her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Vicki Coghlan said:

The ONLY mental cases are the Thai authorities not fixing the homeless problem,  just shoving the problem under the carpet.  

Sane in most western countries

The Nordic countries are much better at equality and housing , social services

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, CorpusChristie said:

The authorities need to address the problem of homelessness during the pandemic , rounding them up and talking them all to the Police station wont help the situation  

might not but they will all be in one place !!!

On 8/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, Wongkitlo said:

I know a girl freelancing in Pattaya. In the past she would send her Mother money and bought a food stall for her. Now her Mum is sending her money cause she claims she hasn't had a client in 3 months. I said "Why not go back to the Village She said her ex husband is a yaba addict and  would kill her if she did and showed me a scar running 4 inches up her stomach from the last time he stabbed her.

4 inches up her stomach? Stab wound ? May be she had an operation due to difficult child birth. I really would like to do a research on nations that tell lies all the time.

When you asked for direction in Iran you always find the Iranians know exactly where you want to go, and they tell you how to get there.

In their culture it is rude to say "I am sorry, I don't know the way to go there".

45 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

4 inches up her stomach? Stab wound ? May be she had an operation due to difficult child birth. I really would like to do a research on nations that tell lies all the time.

When you asked for direction in Iran you always find the Iranians know exactly where you want to go, and they tell you how to get there.

In their culture it is rude to say "I am sorry, I don't know the way to go there".

I have seen a  caesarian mark which it wasn't.. Was at the side. Is not that surprising  that domestic violence and violent drug addicts exist in Thailand? I can PM you her number if you want to check it out for yourself. I'm sure she'd love to show you it.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

Sad. The mentally ill have nowhere to turn in Thailand. think about it; Few if any psychiatrists, few psychologists available for public  service patients. There is no mental health treatment network. There are  thousands upon thousands of people who have been abused or who have serious medical conditions and there are no resources to help them. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Sad. The mentally ill have nowhere to turn in Thailand. think about it; Few if any psychiatrists, few psychologists available for public  service patients. There is no mental health treatment network. There are  thousands upon thousands of people who have been abused or who have serious medical conditions and there are no resources to help them. 

People often criticize the temples and the monks but I get the idea they run a surrogate drug rehab/mental health service. If people can't cope in society they go to the temple. My brother in law was a hard working, fall over drunk every night,  alcoholic. He went to the temple to stop drinking.  Has been there 4 years now. Only problem is I think he can not leave because of he does he will lose his support network and start drinking again.

• Like 1