Chonburi - and Pattaya - won't benefit much from government tourism plans, says media

webfact

Chonburi - and Pattaya - won't benefit much from government tourism plans, says media

8pm.jpg

Thai caption: "Let's go on holiday together" (plan) - EEC to benefit?"

An opinion piece published by Bangkok Business news suggested that government plans to stimulate tourism in Chonburi - principally Pattaya - were unlikely to have much effect. 

The media said that the government has initiated two projects: The "Gamlang Jai" (providing encouragement) and "Rao Thiaw Duay Gan" (let's holiday together) plans.

The second of these means very little for Chonburi, they said, when one bears in mind the 2019 figures for tourism to the area.

Eighty percent of the tourists were foreigners and now there are none at all. 

They anticipated that the "Let's Holiday Together" plan would recoup just a small fraction of revenue that has gone missing.

Things would be different in the other main areas of the EEC (eastern economic corridor) namely Rayong and Chachoengsao where Thai tourism was far more dominant. 

The media said that tourism amounted to 16% of Thai GDP in 2019. A total of 10% of Thai GDP was generated by foreign tourism.

Some 61% of total tourism revenue came from foreign tourists. 

Foreign tourism in 2020 is expected to be 90% down on last year. 

There were no foreign tourists at all in the second quarter and the outlook was almost equally as bleak for the remaining quarters of this year, they indicated.

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

But where are all the Thai families? It is after all a world class family resort! 

Jomtien. Jomtien seems busier even on a weekday than Pattaya. Jomtien has a more conducive for relaxing atmosphere.

Edited by morrobay

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

no international flights = ....  why even spend money on ads ...

Only a percent of stimulus money ends up where it was intended for... millions have been allocated for various nefarious schemes... I'll let you work out the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Jomtien. Jomtien seems busier even on a weekday than Pattaya. Jomtien has a more conducive for relaxing atmosphere.

Living in Jomtien, I agree. Sadly, the lack of sustained, relaxed and spending tourists is not encouraging.

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

no international flights = ....  why even spend money on ads ...

an attempt to generate income from domestic tourism; either thais or foreigners.

ironically in the uk domestic tourism is so popular the authorities are trying to deter people from hitting holiday hot spots

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

of course it is, thais know pattaya is full of sex tourists and prostitutes, who'd want to go there on holiday?! (apart from sex tourists obviously)

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, PatOngo said:

But where are all the Thai families? It is after all a world class family resort! 

They are here a plenty, but do have a long stretch of coast in Rayong to spread themselves down.

20 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Oh, there's ANOTHER world class family resort???

The locals (Thai families, the subject of the post I responded to), don't necessarily want to limit themselves to be in the company of the World Class and Classless. But many do turn up around Pattaya at weekend.

Went into town last night for the first time in months.  I was shocked at the dearth of traffic on 2nd Road; overjoyed at the abundance of parking spots; and dismayed at the road works as I struggled to find a way out up Pattaya Tai.

22 hours ago, mikebell said:

Went into town last night for the first time in months.  I was shocked at the dearth of traffic on 2nd Road; overjoyed at the abundance of parking spots; and dismayed at the road works as I struggled to find a way out up Pattaya Tai.

Same sentiment as I had to get to the bank quite early in the morning....  about 9.15am. Fair whizzed down Klang and Second Rd, what a pleasure. Now you should be aware of the mess on Tai!