Lack of foreign tourists having devastating impact on Chiang Mai tourism

webfact

1 minute ago, CNXexpat said:

Chiang Mai city itself is not really beautiful. Not many old houses in Old Town, no good nightlife and so on. The good thing is that there are many many beautiful places around, like Doi Inthanon, Mon Chaem, the rice terraces in Mae Wang, the amazing temple Wat Ban Den in Mae Taeng and a lot of beautiful places in the mountains. 

Yes, but you cannot look a females in their swimming costumes for free , you need to go to specialsed bars at night to see that 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think CM was recently voted as the top, or one of the top places for Thais to visit.  Not sure why, visit a few temples and waterfalls nothing new for Thais the place seems a total bore.

Chiang Mai has always been top place for Thais to visit.  Many like the cooler climate than in the south.  It is particularly popular in the winter when people flood to Doi Inthanon when the temperature drops and you get a frost.  Over recent years there have been less visiting because of the appalling pollution but it still counts as number one.   

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Lack of foreign tourists has destroyed the tourism economy and Thais just don't cut the mustard. 

But did'nt 90% of Thai's state in a recent survey that they did'nt want foreigners to return? Ma, I'm confused!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chiang Mai fifty, forty or even thirty years ago was very special, with a Northern culture of its own still intact, and a laid back charm that beguiled me when I first arrived.

In common with many places worldwide, time and over-tourism has not been kind to the place, and coupled with the now regular mass burning season making the air quality appalling for a large part of the year, I'm afraid those days are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have never understood the enjoyment of sitting on sand and looking at water 

Yes indeed, and sitting drinking in seaside bars, chatting up prostitutes!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

Chiang Mai fifty, forty or even thirty years ago was very special, with a Northern culture of its own still intact, and a laid back charm that beguiled me when I first arrived.

In common with many places worldwide, time and over-tourism has not been kind to the place, and coupled with the now regular mass burning season making the air quality appalling for a large part of the year, I'm afraid those days are long gone.

Man, you must be really old now if you were here 50yrs ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Som nam na... all the rip-off venues can go bust... AND YES I MEAN IT.

I stayed in CM last year for 10 days... talk about walking around with a target on your back.. from taxis to restaurants and bars, souvenir/gift shops, silverware etc etc etc, you name it they tried to rip me off.

It was in fact a spoiler for a break I had planned and looked forward to for a along time.

I will never go back to CM even if it was free. 

Yeah, they honed their rip off skills on the Chinese. Actually I don't get bugged at all so not sure why you did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

What are the tourist attractions that other towns  have, that CM doesnt have ?

Before the days when every one lived in an air-conditioned house, drove in an air-conditioned car to work in their air-conditioned office, the great attraction of Chiang Mai was the climate.  Coupled with the mountains, country-side and hill-tribes.  When I lived there, there was only one set of traffic lights in the whole city.  Those were the good old days.,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think CM was recently voted as the top, or one of the top places for Thais to visit.  Not sure why, visit a few temples and waterfalls nothing new for Thais the place seems a total bore.

I second that i been there a  few times never enjoyed it boring as hell lacks a beach. I never even noticed it was any cooler either.

Edited by Destiny1990

Looks real good for me I can get places without being in a traffic jam. I can also look at store fronts and actually see what the stores are selling. The places I do go are half full of Thai customers and a few foreign people. Yes the business is slower than it was but there are plenty of buildings going up, farming is good and if one wants to work one can in CM.  

16 minutes ago, brommers said:

Chiang Mai is going to end up at a dead end before the year is out. And the few remaining tourism businesses will be unable to bring in any visitor numbers when the pandemic restrictions are eased. We are watching total incompetence cause a wilderness. 

Same can be said of Pattaya , Ko Samui , Pukett and a few other places that depend on tourists

• Like 2