Extend amnesty into 2021?

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That snip is from the Immigration infographic that was released BEFORE the last CCSA, cabinet and PM approved OFFICIAL and Royal Gazetted change on 29 July that makes absolutely NO mention of the 'grace' period and having to leave on or before 26 September.

Thanks for the wind up.

Take a chill pill and just relax. 

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

cabinet and PM approved OFFICIAL and Royal Gazetted change on 29 July that makes absolutely NO mention of the 'grace' period and having to leave on or before 26 September.

It does clearly state that we will have to follow the normal immigration laws (section 35 and 37 of the immigration act) by September 26.  I don’t see how this can mean anything other than an end to amnesty on that date.

34B51722-FC89-4EAE-AB62-F4050886BF59.jpeg.3f8f5638fb07f7c2efcc41369eeeedca.jpeg

3CFCFB4B-C99D-4EEE-BB47-2C46A038AAB5.jpeg.b91cfd672fc903a3b8918f17720db006.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

It does clearly state that we will have to follow the normal immigration laws (section 35 and 37 of the immigration act) by September 26.  I don’t see how this can mean anything other than an end to amnesty on that date.

34B51722-FC89-4EAE-AB62-F4050886BF59.jpeg.3f8f5638fb07f7c2efcc41369eeeedca.jpeg

3CFCFB4B-C99D-4EEE-BB47-2C46A038AAB5.jpeg.b91cfd672fc903a3b8918f17720db006.jpeg

haha right i get it now.. they are both right!

technically it doesn't mention an end to amnesty or leaving by the 26th September.

it does however state that you need to be in full compliance with relevent immigration laws after said date

thats that settled then - plan/hope accordingly

lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, there's been nothing since the officially promulgated edicts on 29 July. The translation of that is already in the public domain.

Thai Immigration pre-empted their proposals to the government with official looking instructions on their website and other media. Their proposals were not supported by the government and thus the amnesty is extended to 26 September under the original rules that applied when it was originally issued last April. That includes NO 'grace period' and NO advice to either leave before 26 September or make sure you have the right to remain after that date.

What about that "article 1." above? Isn't that coming from the cabinet?

1 minute ago, Seik said:

What about that "article 1." above? Isn't that coming from the cabinet?

I read it as simply a statement that the Immigration Bureau will enforce these current amnesty rules up to and including the 26 September. Others read it as a covert "not permitted to stay beyond" 26 September.

I don't have a copy of the original April amnesty translation but it would be enlightening to see if there's an 'Article 1' in that order and what 'closing' date is referenced.

I don’t really care about what some people advise us (those on tourists and exempt visas) in this thread. I know that another amnesty is still possible. And I am also 100% sure that even if the amnesty is not prolonged - we will still be given enough time to leave the country by somewhere in the mid to end of October. No need to panic. Relax and enjoy your time in Thailand.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I read it as simply a statement that the Immigration Bureau will enforce these current amnesty rules up to and including the 26 September. Others read it as a covert "not permitted to stay beyond" 26 September.

This is what it says.

image.png.97fee5c97c0475a83949e1fbd212920e.png

Form this topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1175378-extension-of-amnesty-now-in-the-royal-gazette/

• Like 2

Colleague of mine, who was teaching university in Indonesia when COVID hit, came to Thailand early on when her university shut down to visit colleagues who work here, was just granted a 6 month education visa to study Thai. We’re all US citizens. She really has no desire to return to the US atm,  and has a deep interest in Thai food and culture. So that’s one way to stay. I return to my university in China in 12 days. That’s one way to leave. I originally came to Bangkok at the end of January for a professional development conference, originally planned to stay for 5 days after, return for spring semester, then the world turned upside down. I feel pretty grateful that I’ve had a relatively safe harbor here, although I did have a three day Immigration nightmare back in March with my one and only Embassy letter.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

While a change of mind is possible, I think announcements from immigration make rather clear that they want those on tourist entries out by September 26th (six months after the March 26th date where it was deemed difficult or impossible for many to immediately leave to return to home country). I am not sure what clearer announcement they could make.

I know some very knowledgeable people, whose opinion I respect, about Thailand and its immigration and visa situation don't see it this way, but they could do like Indonesia and Japan did and explicitly state at a moment long before that expiration of the current amnesty that "there will be no extension of the amnesty and everyone who has not changed their visa status out of amnesty must leave by that date". Then nothing is implicit and there is no need for speculation. That would certainly be clearer, no, especially when it is also clear that IOs are in cahoots with agents for "black money" which their scare tactics before both amnesties pushed many into availing themselves of (apologies for my dangling preposition).

I do understand the reasoning of the 6 month rule, but other states such as Taiwan are waiving it now. They issued automatic 30 day extension number 5 and have offered people options to apply and pay for 30 days more beyond the 6 months of stay as well. I believe the dynamic may be changed when both Thailand and their regional partners are keeping their borders closed for an indefinite time well beyond Sept 26.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Let's hope you do have a plan B, otherwise your preference to remaining in Thailand will be at some other accommodation.

Duh, my plan B remains the same, I simply changed my flight booking from July 30th to September 24th. I'm not feeling stressed at all, I'm just keeping an open mind about all the options that exist and might open up...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phungo said:

From the Thai gov pov, there is not enough tourists in the country and the tourism industry is being decimated.

If they are wise they would not kick out people who are spending money here in Thailand.

I'm married to Thai wife with 2 kids and we spend up to 150k baht per month. I was only planning to stay in Thailand for 1 year as a vacation and break from my corporate job. I had planned to do travel every 90 days, and did not plan for having to do the 1 year extension.

Now that covid is here, I want to stay in Thailand longer until covid dies down in USA. But there's a chance I cannot because the <deleted> stupid paperwork. Why the <deleted> is it so <deleted> difficult?

Just make it simple, make me pay 3k baht or whatever per month and just let me stay. Just skip all of the <deleted> paperwork. Anyone who pays 3k baht per month via an app can stay. 

I think it's the current government's obsession with national security and monitoring of foreign nationals in Thailand which they imbued into the current leaders of Immigration, and also the desire to give work to the people/bureaucrats on the immigration payroll (otherwise they would be out of work). I agree they could make it much simpler, but then earnings from corruption would also be out of the picture.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, samtab said:

Clearly it will be extended till the end of 2020, but it's astonishing that people here cannot understand this !

I guess that you didn't see the 2 first extension coming also...

poor you ????

Its hardly "clearly" , I would say that its improbable 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I think it's the current government's obsession with national security and monitoring of foreign nationals in Thailand which they imbued into the current leaders of Immigration, and also the desire to give work to the people/bureaucrats on the immigration payroll (otherwise they would be out of work). I agree they could make it much simpler, but then earnings from corruption would also be out of the picture.

Interesting...

I was going to ask who is it that want to kick out tourists and expats out of the country? Why? How does that benefit them?

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a off topic comment and a video
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Barney13 said:

sandyf, what about all the family guys who earn 39k baht or less, or the guys who could not get together 400k in one week? Thousands of farang use  the Savannakhet/HohChiMihn non o visa who have not been given a chance here. You say just return to their own country then come back, talk sense.

I said it was not out of the question, you would have to show me where I said it would be easy.

Travel restrictions are in place and no amount of complaining is going to change that.

I am one of the thousands you refer to with an income bordering on the requirement, one wrong word from Bojo and I could quite easily be below. Last year I couldn't renew my extension so got a visa from HCMC and yesterday went to convert that to marriage extension. I now have under consideration stamp but should that go belly up for any reason I will be looking to go back to UK. With the UK covid situation and being 73, not a course of action that would appeal, but if need must.

The rules are there and whether we like it or not we have no say in the matter.

Doubt it myself. Immigration must be hurting from the lack of "fees". Surely, anyone with any funds left can just pay an agent, and if you don't have funds I guess you're not wanted. The original amnesties were humanitarian, cos there were people here who genuinely had problems getting home, either because of practical reasons or negligence, does it matter? Not an expert, but it seems the guys who need to do border hops are the most affected. Well, I feel for you. But how many are you statistically speaking?

• Like 1