Extend amnesty into 2021?

If there is any life in places like Pattaya at the moment - it is thanks to those foreigners on amnesty who are still in Thailand. Kick this group out and destroy finally any business the Thai people in the touristic places might still have. Who is more important for Thailand? These people or some corrupted Immigration staff? 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

If there is any life in places like Pattaya at the moment - it is thanks to those foreigners on amnesty who are still in Thailand. Kick this group out and destroy finally any business the Thai people in the touristic places might still have. Who is more important for Thailand? These people or some corrupted Immigration staff? 

Whoever has more power gets to say who is more important. Hopefully power does not reside in corrupted imm staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, finy said:

That's actually not true.

You can apply online for a residence permit that lasts one year once in country. You just need to sign an income declaration, show you have insurance (special companies inside Turkey offer residence permit for around $100), and minor other things.

You'll get an appointment and can stay past your visa until it comes. (different waiting times for different cities)

If you go into a tax office for a tax number (anyone with passport can do this) you can open bank account with tax number, passport, and address on utility bill.

Just as cheap or cheaper than Thailand

Just as delicious food

Areas with temperature similar to Canary Islands in winter (beach resorts)

Apparently very friendly people

Culture (1000yr old sites) that rival Angkor Wat in beauty

More modern and easy to receive mail/buy certain luxuries

Amazing trains/buses/ferries compared to Thailand

Everything from shopping malls, bars/clubs, cinemas, gyms, etc

Own property, land etc outright

I think if lots of people go to Turkey some might decide it's not even worth coming back to Thailand unless you have ties.

Or it would be a great place to stay for a year and ride out Covid at the very least.

Do they have females in bikinis' on beaches that you can look at ?

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Of course, there are liberal (Istanbul, Izmir) and conservative cities.

In beach resorts like Bodrum, Marmaris, and Antalya females will be in bikinis.

But if you don't live on a tropical Thai island I don't see why it matters.

It's a secular country with plenty of alchol and more women are likely to wear hijabs in London.

https://excursionmania.com/can-you-wear-bikinis-in-turkey/

Edited by finy
Add link
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

While a change of mind is possible, I think announcements from immigration make rather clear that they want those on tourist entries out by September 26th (six months after the March 26th date where it was deemed difficult or impossible for many to immediately leave to return to home country). I am not sure what clearer announcement they could make.

Remember though that immigration isn't the entity making these decisions. The Government is and the decision of amnesties, extensions and whatnot are rested in the cabinet / PM.

While some many think of Immigration, police etc as gods they are nothing but the (corrupt) puppets of the political masters upstairs. Their personal sentiments don't matter to policy.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 2:29 PM, lemonjelly said:

With the high amount of outbound flights being cancelled, what’s going to happen to foreigners still in Thailand after 26 September if their flights have been cancelled? I can’t understand the Thai government’s stance of kicking them out of the country in these terrible times.

Penalty fines.

If you overstayed more than x months, you will be banned from coming to Thailand for x years. It has been a rule for many decades.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

The Thai government is missing a golden opportunity to raise money here. Offer an option for renewal of expired visas/extensions in country at a premium rate. Also, allow entry to visa/extension holders but on repatriation flights (Thai airways) at $1,000 a seat in economy one-way and 2 weeks in ASQ at 40,000+ Baht to keep more hotels busy (Covid tests and state backed insurance a requirement). It's at least one way of controlling the situation and gaining revenue if they chose to do it. I think at this stage there are many who would do whatever it takes to stay or get back here. Just a thought...

Yes, I don’t understand why they aren’t selling special one year covid visas.  Something like a one year elite visa.  Many of us already here would gladly pay a premium to stay.  People all over the world would gladly pay for them and be willing to quarantine for 2 weeks to come and live here for a year in safety while the rest of the world deals with covid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phillip9 said:

Yes, I don’t understand why they aren’t selling special one year covid visas.  Something like a one year elite visa.  Many of us already here would gladly pay a premium to stay.  People all over the world would gladly pay for them and be willing to quarantine for 2 weeks to come and live here for a year in safety while the rest of the world deals with covid.

That's exactly the point. Thailand doesn't want people from all over the world trekking here right now and with good reason given the situation. That's like opening pandora's box with or without quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, Sheryl said:

They are making arrangements to enable migrant workers in country whose visas/permission to stay have expired to obtain new visas without leaving the country. This should go into effect shortly and certainly by 26 September everyone in that category - many hundreds of thousands of people, far larger group than Western expats -  - should be sorted out.

When it is going to happen?

My husband lost his job on 11 May, and since then we've been on amnesty visa (we are in Thailand since 2013). Few weeks ago, he got a new job, signed the job offer, but simply can not obtain Non b visa without leaving the country. We went to immigration office but they told us that in order to get the Non b visa he has to get letter from our embassy, which is impossible, or to leave Thailand on 26 sept, and than go back. We don't know what to do. It is so frustrating.

Does someone has any idea?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, azaazo9 said:

My husband lost his job on 11 May, and since then we've been on amnesty visa (we are in Thailand since 2013). Few weeks ago, he got a new job, signed the job offer, but simply can not obtain Non b visa without leaving the country. We went to immigration office but they told us that in order to get the Non b visa he has to get letter from our embassy, which is impossible, or to leave Thailand on 26 sept, and than go back. We don't know what to do. It is so frustrating.

What I was referring to was migrant workers from neighboring countries who have an entirely different visa situation than your husband.

Wait for @UbonJoe to advise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azaazo9 said:

There is no rule that an extension based on the new job and associated work permit cannot be given. Immigration is implying that (absent an embassy letter) it must be possible for your husband to travel to home country, get the Non B visa there, and return. However, this is obviously totally impractical at the current time. You could try approaching your embassy with the specific circumstances to see if they will make an exception, and provide a letter. However, as others have indicated, you will almost certainly need the services of an agent to break down immigration's obstruction.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

‘Air-borders’ are not closed for those wishing to depart.

The current regulations seems quite clear and many other countries have opened up. Flights can be taken back to ones home country. 

I suspect the people being afforded amnesty are those who can present a valid reason / evidence / justification for further extension. Of course, the gamble will always be how flexible Immigration will be with their extension (its likely people will need a letter from their Embassy and to obtain that letter you would need to show proof you have attempted and are unable to return within the current amnesty period). 

If I were on a current Visa Amnesty - I’d be making preparations to either sort out my visa situation, either directly if I could, or through an agent if I had to, or, I would be making plans to secure a flight to my home country (country of nationality). 

what about changing flights for a long trip? quarantine and expenses, it could be very cost and abusive, stressful and risk. the best option is to stay where you are and do whatever you have to do to be safe.

I am not messing around with this visa amnesty 

As of late last month I have a very fresh 

1 month inconsideration stamp in my passport for a marriage extension via an agent. 

At the end of this month I get my official marriage extension stamp. 

Looking forward to do 90 day reports at drive through 90 days at CM immigration. 

It feels so good to have a fresh new stamp in my passport ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kirbi53 said:

1 month inconsideration stamp in my passport for a marriage extension via an agent. 

Looking forward to do 90 day reports at drive through 90 days at CM immigration. 

Thanks for the report.

Question > Did you make use of a 'legwork' service (just checking that your application is correct and complete, and doing the application on your behalf at IO), or did you need the agent to 'fix' some of the requirements you were not able to meet?

Also the fee and name of the agent you used would be of interest.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:53 PM, edwardandtubs said:

There are plenty of flights to Russia, you just need a stopover. There really is no excuse anymore.

Nah, to do a stopover you need a visa, russian people cannot go to Europe without a visa. You clearly don't know anything. Golden rule: don't speak about things that you don't have a clue about.

Anyway, I'm already 5 months into visa amnesty and I will be for another 2 months while I enjoy you guys ranting about it. How does it sound to you? ????

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kirbi53 said:

Can I ask why an agent ? I was always under the impression agents cant do much for marriage extensions, as you still need home visits, photos, head office approval etc.

Is the agent just to help, or do they get around some of the requirements ?

Edited by Peterw42

19 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:
19 hours ago, genericptr said:

What surprises me if they haven't made a new temporary visa category which allows you to extend month by month for a fee of 2,3+ thousand baht. Yes, I don't want to go home and try to find a job in the worst economy of my life. Yes, I can afford to live in Thailand for many years if I wanted to. They simply don't need or want us here unless it's for other approved reasons. I'm bitter also but we just have to accept that.

We all need to get a ticket by at least mid September to account for all the potential cancellations that may occur.

They could do that...but all those fees would go through official channels.  They would much rather squeeze us into seeing an agent for 25K+ because a lot of that money will end up bypassing the official channels and go straight into someone's slush fund.

And, at the end of the day, you'd STILL be here which is what you want, no?

Why on earth should Thai immigration welcome the sort of person who confesses that they, "don't want to go home and try to find a job". They can't easily get a job here even if they wanted to so no, they don't want a whole slew of uninsured 'Covid refugees' with fundamentally limited resources hanging out here only because they think things are worse back home and they aren't willing to lift a finger to make their own situation better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:
17 hours ago, finy said:

That's actually not true.

You can apply online for a residence permit that lasts one year once in country. You just need to sign an income declaration, show you have insurance (special companies inside Turkey offer residence permit for around $100), and minor other things.

You'll get an appointment and can stay past your visa until it comes. (different waiting times for different cities)

If you go into a tax office for a tax number (anyone with passport can do this) you can open bank account with tax number, passport, and address on utility bill.

Just as cheap or cheaper than Thailand

Just as delicious food

Areas with temperature similar to Canary Islands in winter (beach resorts)

Apparently very friendly people

Culture (1000yr old sites) that rival Angkor Wat in beauty

More modern and easy to receive mail/buy certain luxuries

Amazing trains/buses/ferries compared to Thailand

Everything from shopping malls, bars/clubs, cinemas, gyms, etc

Own property, land etc outright

I think if lots of people go to Turkey some might decide it's not even worth coming back to Thailand unless you have ties.

Or it would be a great place to stay for a year and ride out Covid at the very least.

More than Thailand probably.

Can you wear bikinis in Turkey?

When you’re packing for a holiday in Turkey, remember that it gets very hot in summer. The southwest coastal regions are on average 30-35 degrees celsius in the daytime, the sea is very warm and it hardly ever rains. You can sunbathe and swim in the sea during the spring and autumn, too. Although Turkey is quite conservative compared to Britain and other Western European countries, it is secular and you can wear a swimming costume or bikini on the beach.

Bikinis for the beach only

You will see many locals wearing bikinis as well as the occasional fully-covered swimsuit which some women wear. Wearing a bikini on the beach is fine, but to avoid unwanted attention it is better to cover up before you walk back to your hotel or elsewhere. You can wear sleeveless tops and shorts in hot weather as the locals do in the touristic areas of southwest Turkey on the Mediterranean and Aegean coast. Sandals or flip-flops are suitable for the beach or walking in the streets.

https://excursionmania.com/can-you-wear-bikinis-in-turkey/

Next?

13 hours ago, azaazo9 said:

Why is the embassy letter "impossible"?

People with current WP's are being allowed back into Thailand on repatriation flights. Maybe those with verifiable proof of a pending WP will be added to the list of who can return at the next easing of restrictions? I read that they are starting to import hundreds of teachers from the Philippines so if the pending WP is for a teaching position, I would guess that has already been moved up the returnee priority list.

Good luck.

Thanks for the report.

Question > Did you make use of a 'legwork' service (just checking that your application is correct and complete, and doing the application on your behalf at IO), or did you need the agent to 'fix' some of the requirements you were not able to meet?

Also the fee and name of the agent you used would be of interest.

•  

Hi Denis 

Check your messages I am writing to you now 

Cheers, 

Kirby 

• Thanks 1

4 weeks ago a newspaper report said this "The Immigration Bureau Commissioner Sompong Chingduong told Reuters that “the situation in the country and overseas has improved,". Yesterday France had over 1100 new infections, Australia around 500. How can Immigration think the situation has improved? A lot of posters say there are flights home, people are taking advantage of the system. Before they post another "go home" message they should ask themselves "If it was my child or nephew or loved one stuck in Thailand on a short stay visa would they really want them sent home to possible death from Covid?