Extend amnesty into 2021?

2 hours ago, Sundown said:

Nah, to do a stopover you need a visa, russian people cannot go to Europe without a visa. You clearly don't know anything. Golden rule: don't speak about things that you don't have a clue about.

Anyway, I'm already 5 months into visa amnesty and I will be for another 2 months while I enjoy you guys ranting about it. How does it sound to you? ????

He probably meant just a regular stop for example at Amsterdam or Frankfurt Airport and you don't need a visa to transit there. If there is a suitable connection flight to Russia it's definitely possible to go that route.

Generally speaking I suggest people to use mileage tickets for their flight home as those can be easily changed against a very small fee depending on the program.

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

I would go with 50-50.

OK, You wanna go 50/50 .

I will remove TWO wrong answers.............

Right , lets see what two answers we have left...................

1 . The amnesty give be extended

2. The amnesty will not be extended 

Take your time.........................

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

You're making loaded assumptions about people who have chosen to remain in Thailand on amnesty. Being one of them, let me tell you two things: Firstly, I don't need to work, neither at home nor in Thailand. So it would be pointless for me to go home to find a job. Secondly, I have insurance and my insurance covers COVID-19 in Thailand, which I specifically confirmed with my insurance company.

Maybe Thai immigration shares your concerns, but they did nothing to address them. Before the first amnesty was announced, they asked people in need of a special extension to get silly embassy letters, landlord documents and to take a set of photos at their residence. They didn't ask for proof of funds to remain or proof of insurance. Go figure.

So you don`t need to work, guess you are in the process of obtaining your Elite Visa then, no...thought not.

3 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Anyone on amnesty better start preparing to leave or getting a new visa pretty much this week. Once on overstay if your picked up the penalties are pretty harsh including blacklisting.

I work out there's another 7 weeks before the amnesty gets extended/expires. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I work out there's another 7 weeks before the amnesty gets extended/expires. 

A new visa wont appear in your passport overnight, if it were me I would start preparing my documentation now. I am in the process of renewing my driving licence, normally done on the day, now I have to wait 6 weeks for an appointment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jim P said:

A new visa wont appear in your passport overnight, if it were me I would start preparing my documentation now. I am in the process of renewing my driving licence, normally done on the day, now I have to wait 6 weeks for an appointment. 

They only announce amnesty extensions 2 weeks before the current one runs out.

The sensible thing to do is wait until the 15th September before taking any action.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, scoupeo said:

2 first amnesty were certainly improbable for you and many here it seems...

No, the first amnesty  was a near certainty , the second one was a distinct probability and a third one is a improbability at the moment , IO have already stated that if we want another extension after that, we need to get a letter from our Embassy's  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The sensible thing to do is wait until the 15th September before taking any action.

what a crazy thing to think<

they've giving everyone 2 months to get their S@#t together or make plans to leave before than

only a fool would put it off till mid Sept

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Sept. 26 is the final deadline

3 hours ago, Jim P said:

Anyone on amnesty better start preparing to leave or getting a new visa pretty much this week. Once on overstay if your picked up the penalties are pretty harsh including blacklisting.

Both of you, please leave the country by the end of September. And leave me alone. I am going nowhere. 

8 hours ago, bestie said:

That's forces many people to an agent and to switch to the new long stay "volunteer visa" Purpose? Who knows.

Purpose?  Agent-laundered money, of course.

4 hours ago, Jim P said:

So you don`t need to work, guess you are in the process of obtaining your Elite Visa then, no...thought not.

He said he didn't need to work - not that he was either so filthy-rich that burning a pile of money on a giant-bribe doesn't matter - or a fool who would burn-up his retirement-capital.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Can I ask why an agent ? I was always under the impression agents cant do much for marriage extensions, as you still need home visits, photos, head office approval etc.

Is the agent just to help, or do they get around some of the requirements ?

Agents/Lawyers can solve nearly any problem here - the only question is how much you have to pay. 

The "division office sign-off" is approx another 10K Baht - something for which retirees are spared, but to which those supporting a Thai family are subjected. 

All the other stuff - photos, financials, home-visits and waiting in queue - is punishment for "honest" applicants, who attempt to get extensions for list-price.

The only "must haves" for Thai-family based are a valid passport and Thai family (marriage-cert, etc).  If retired, valid passport and over 50 (DOB in the passport gives this away).  The rest magically goes away, for those who use an agent.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:35 PM, warcy said:

...  If you overstayed more than x months, you will be banned from coming to Thailand for x years. It has been a rule for many decades.

The banning didn't start until a few years ago.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, azaazo9 said:

When it is going to happen?

My husband lost his job on 11 May, and since then we've been on amnesty visa (we are in Thailand since 2013). Few weeks ago, he got a new job, signed the job offer, but simply can not obtain Non b visa without leaving the country. We went to immigration office but they told us that in order to get the Non b visa he has to get letter from our embassy, which is impossible, or to leave Thailand on 26 sept, and than go back. We don't know what to do. It is so frustrating.

Does someone has any idea?

Yes.  In order to get Immigration to do a Completely Legal Thing - issue a new extension to stay for his new job w/o "going out for a new visa," he and/or employer will need to pay one of Immigration's corrupt agent/lawyer partners a pile of cash. 

That's how this has worked since pre-covid.  The "go out" bit is to make it a PITA, so you will pay them off with agent-laundered money, instead.  But now, "going out" isn't even an option, so they have folks over a barrel.

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

They aren't kicking them out. They're asking them to leave. There are plenty of flights out if you want to leave. 

Is a bit misinformed. There are  flights maybe but they are not relevant if they are not going to your home country. There are still many countries that are very hard to get to. If it is not possible for people to get home what do you suggest they do?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'll be waiting as well. Bali should open up to tourists on Sep. 11, and hopefully, other Asian countries open up as well. I don't see Vietnam opening until 2021 but I have my eyes on it..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

what a crazy thing to think<

they've giving everyone 2 months to get their S@#t together or make plans to leave before than

only a fool would put it off till mid Sept

It is a risk versus cost analysis, as long as you are willing to leave if there is no announcement of an extended amnesty (or strong indications of one) by September 12th. It should still be possible to leave, just horribly expensive. Personally, I think a further amnesty is unlikely, but those who think one likely (no one can be sure either way) could decide to wait. Those who wish to stay after September 26th, but decide to wait before making a commitment better be very sure that their plan B is going to work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Is a bit misinformed. There are  flights maybe but they are not relevant if they are not going to your home country. There are still many countries that are very hard to get to. If it is not possible for people to get home what do you suggest they do?

Those for whom travel to home country is impossible, even with months to arrange it, need to put pressure on their embassies to provide letters that confirm this. It should be possible to get serial 30-day extensions with embassy letters until the airports in their home countries reopen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padthaininja said:

I'll be waiting as well. Bali should open up to tourists on Sep. 11, and hopefully, other Asian countries open up as well. I don't see Vietnam opening until 2021 but I have my eyes on it..

Wouldn't be surprised if this will be postponed last minute and even IF they reopen, how exactly do you want to fly there? THAI is grounded, Air Asia doesn't fly internationally. Bangkok-Doha-Denpasar on Qatar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:46 PM, Zikomat said:

If there is any life in places like Pattaya at the moment - it is thanks to those foreigners on amnesty who are still in Thailand. Kick this group out and destroy finally any business the Thai people in the touristic places might still have. Who is more important for Thailand? These people or some corrupted Immigration staff? 

There are also a lot of Expats who live here not on amnesty, plus those working and also perhaps on Education. I really am unsure how many foreigners are here purely because amnesty has permitted it, and also whether they are financially capable of supporting local businesses in any significant way.

As to your last question.... probably the immigration staff.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is a risk versus cost analysis, as long as you are willing to leave if there is no announcement of an extended amnesty (or strong indications of one) by September 12th. It should still be possible to leave, just horribly expensive. Personally, I think a further amnesty is unlikely, but those who think one likely (no one can be sure either way) could decide to wait. Those who wish to stay after September 26th, but decide to wait before making a commitment better be very sure that their plan B is going to work.

And need to be prepared for not coming back to Thailand for a very long time 

7 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Don't doubt what you say, but can you provide a link to information about Bali opening up to tourists Sept 11.

This will sound like music in the ears of those that are 'end of the line' and for who home-country is not an option.

• Like 1

In the English language newspapers today , a quote by CAAT director Chula Sukmanop :

"As of now, no commercial airlines are permitted to operate flights into and out of Thailand and only a number of foreign business people are allowed to enter the country for business purposes."

Whether this statement is just a reiteration of the current situation or Mr Chula has his facts wrong is not clear.

If it were literally true then hard to see how you can leave if the borders are closed and there are no flights.