Bad beer in town

William Osborne

10 hours ago, William Osborne said:

I know times are tough for bar owners but do yourself a favor and start looking or sampling your beer.....have been out last few weekends and mostly the Leo is undrinkable ..Switched over to Tiger lite and although still old stock seems to hold its taste better but couldn't even finish the bottle in 2 different bars last ( and i was only in 3 bars)... Anybody else notice ?.... things are bad enough for bars besides doing themselves out of business serving pish.????.... rant over

What do you think the bar owners should do with the old stock?

Throw it in the trash? Seriously...

Just wait few days more when the usual drunkards

will have finished the old stock

then you can come back and enjoy your tasty beer

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

not the slops in the bottle left in bars and being "recycled" by pouring into an empty bottle recapped then resold? happened to me twice projectile vomitted both times.

Happens with a 165+ baht GGB bottles ever now and again if the staff aren't watched......

Just recently saw six-month-old Tiger beer around town, beach side and Darkside, bottled in February. Twice it tasted awful and I returned it to the lady owner. She had bought leftover beer stock from a bar closing down. It was truly disgusting. Got Leos as a substitute. To be honest, never had a spoiled Leo. Of course, Leo outsells Tiger so likely fresher. 

In the recent past, i.e., pre-pandemic, I could not believe how awful the Tiger was at times. The Tigers at a selection of 7s, Lotus and bars all came with fill dates of six months past.

Here in Bangkok, haven't had a bad Tiger beer in years. I am guessing Pattaya bars get the brewery rejects at a discount since Pattaya margins are so small.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was out again yesterday in LK, started off early and first 4 bottles of Tiger Lite was July. (tasty!)....then we were served old ones from Feb, could tell straightaway but drank it anyway, for the next round we told her check date first so she came down with unopened bottle with July date so stayed for a couple more rounds..... looked like they may have purposely waited until we had a few until they gave out the bad beer again.

Moved on and next 2 bars, Tiger Lite was from Feb, changed to Leo and that was mouldy as well. ????....

Need to sort myself out with some Android box so I can watch the sports from home ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Need to sort myself out with some Android box so I can watch the sports from home 

You can buy one online or at Tukcom.

Been doing that for a couple years now as I really want to watch the games, not listen to loud mouths and play the games bars play.  Beer is better and colder and much fresher real ground coffee not the instant garbage some unnamed LK bars sell.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Some bars posted about Suppliers taking beer back, when the lockdown finished.

In my experience, bottled beer in Thailand has about 2 months before it starts to develop a bitter flavour, and it just gets worse until its undrinkable.

Yes spot on. 

I was in Nikom Court about 2 weeks ago and I went through all of the beers they that I could stand to drink looking at the labels for the manufacture date and I couldn't get anything  manufactured after February.

I assume with their turnover they keep a lot of stock which would be their problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, William Osborne said:

How to buy online ?.... i just to watch on tablet or computer 

cheers

An Android TV box is designed to be hooked up to a dumb monitor you couldn't run it on a tablet I don't believe. 

Not sure what you're going to get in the way of Sports at the moment but there are regularly guys advertising on Facebook fully kitted out Android TV boxes, though I know nothing about them. Probably better to check in the tech section. 

• Like 1

Yes, I also got some bad Leo, big bottle, advertised at a bar, west side of Soi Buakhau, for 70B. I won't be going to that bar ever again, and I'll also steer all my friends away from it.

Bar owners are certainly stupid to be selling skunky old beer to customers. There are lots of bars, and few customers. A bar is not going to be in business long if it only sells 1 beer to each new customer and has no repeat customers.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Just recently saw six-month-old Tiger beer around town, beach side and Darkside, bottled in February. Twice it tasted awful and I returned it to the lady owner. She had bought leftover beer stock from a bar closing down. It was truly disgusting. Got Leos as a substitute. To be honest, never had a spoiled Leo. Of course, Leo outsells Tiger so likely fresher. 

In the recent past, i.e., pre-pandemic, I could not believe how awful the Tiger was at times. The Tigers at a selection of 7s, Lotus and bars all came with fill dates of six months past.

Here in Bangkok, haven't had a bad Tiger beer in years. I am guessing Pattaya bars get the brewery rejects at a discount since Pattaya margins are so small.

It appears you enjoy feline urine  Leo / Tiger :sick:

• Haha 1

I think reading all this on a rainy morning i might as well throw out the lonely bottle of Leo

that has been taking up space in my fridge,been there fo0r over two years.

I guess that is what happens if you don't have friends lol.

• Haha 2

Leo beer is not exported so they stopped production during lock down. 

When lock down finished they started again. Bottling date is on the label. 

I suspect you are drinking from small bottles. Since lock down I have not seen any large bottles older than 1 week-10 days.

PS never accept an open bottle? It should be opened in front of you?

19 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Bar owners are certainly stupid to be selling skunky old beer to customers. There are lots of bars, and few customers. A bar is not going to be in business long if it only sells 1 beer to each new customer and has no repeat customers.

Bad beers or not unfortunately most of the bars in Pattaya

will be out of the business at the begining of 2021

Actualy their only hope is the reopen of the borders before

the high season in 2 or 3 months and it's not going to happen

• Haha 1