Bad beer in town

William Osborne

I guess like most of us guys we have been drinking at home got me out of the habit of going to the bar every night last week I ventured out to the bar I thought I'll treat myself and it was Friday night, not thinking to check the dates as this bar is usually pretty busy I had 4 beers then went home, you see by 11pm OMG I just about made it to the toilet and then all night.

Definitely the beer 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Yes, I also got some bad Leo, big bottle, advertised at a bar, west side of Soi Buakhau, for 70B. I won't be going to that bar ever again, and I'll also steer all my friends away from it.

Bar owners are certainly stupid to be selling skunky old beer to customers. There are lots of bars, and few customers. A bar is not going to be in business long if it only sells 1 beer to each new customer and has no repeat customers.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I don't think it is down to the bar and I believe that they are simply not aware of it. 

But I can assure you that it's not simply as a result of the covid-19 lockdown. I had one night bar hopping before all of this, where I got about five in a row that tasted off from different bars. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

At least Chang does have a taste- Leo has none at all. I like Cheers riceberry and tapper at present, krung thep beer is great but too expensive at 65 baht for a small can

Tapper @ Bht 51 a can is my no. 1. Red Cheers is OK, and Archa @ Bht 44 for a big bottle is quite reasonable. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

He came back 10 minutes later, and said "My supplier is screwing me, by giving me old beer, BECAUSE he knows I have a high turnover ... Thanks!

I am afraid Thais do with the beers as they do with the girls

they ''sale'' to the farangs only the ones they don't want 

20 hours ago, Banana7 said:

A bar is not going to be in business long if it only sells 1 beer to each new customer and has no repeat customers.

They have been doing it for decades, trouble now is the customer base isn't frequently changing as it used to. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, stouricks said:

Tapper @ Bht 51 a can is my no. 1. Red Cheers is OK, and Archa @ Bht 44 for a big bottle is quite reasonable. Cheers.

Try Kopper, developed a liking for it of late. 

Archa is awful.....

Edited by jacko45k

On 8/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Some bars posted about Suppliers taking beer back, when the lockdown finished.

In my experience, bottled beer in Thailand has about 2 months before it starts to develop a bitter flavour, and it just gets worse until its undrinkable.

That's why you need to switch to Lao Khao during the crisis....will not only preserve its flavor, but enough of it will preserve your internal organs too

Edited by tonray
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

That's why you need to switch to Lao Khao during the crisis....will not only preserve its flavor, but enough of it will preserve your internal organs too

And I guess all of those added preservatives in the beer, will preserve your internal organs when you die in young age of chemical poisoning?

Edited by Banana7
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Over the years, I have lost count how many bar owners I have pointed out the bottling date on the bottle, and they had no idea that it was there.

I remember pointing this out to Pete the owner of the Beer Garden in the early days of the bar, after getting some really nasty tasting beer.

First he said I was the only one complaining.

I said, I was not complaining, but asking why he was serving year old beer when he had such a high turnover.

He then asked the barman to pull some bottles of beer out of their ice boxes, and all were the same old bottling date.

He then said, okay we got a new delivery of beer this morning, I will go check.

He came back 10 minutes later, and said "My supplier is screwing me, by giving me old beer, BECAUSE he knows I have a high turnover ... Thanks!

If you were in Pattaya now you'd have a field day informing bar owners how to run their establishments. 

• Haha 2

Until this thread I didn't know beer had an expiration date. So I googled it.

Turns out multiple sites say beer is still good 6-9 months after expiry date if stored in pantry and up to 2 years after expiry date if stored in fridge. What are you all going on about then lol

• Thanks 1

I understand the bar owners. Why should they throw away expired beer? There are still enough customers around every night who need the bar feeling and will not complain. Hello sexy man ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, aussiexpat said:

Turns out multiple sites say beer is still good 6-9 months after expiry date if stored in pantry and up to 2 years after expiry date if stored in fridge. What are you all going on about then lol

Yes I Googled it about 8 months ago when I first started discovering that there was something wrong with the the taste of the beers. The anecdotal argument seems to be about storage. But as I have gone on the record about earlier I think in most cases it's to do with the delivery not the bar. 

But I will take a wager with anybody, on Leo beer specifically, after two months it's Highly Questionable about the results flavor-wise. 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, William Osborne said:

Was down in the big super-market @3rd rd / pattaya klang junction and they had 2 pallets of small bottles of Singha and Leo on display, dated 03 and 17 of March....... don't think they will taste too nice ????.... big bottles or 7/11s seem to be the way to go atm.

I went to Nikhom 2 nights ago and after having a pretty good run of new beers there, the first beer I pulled out had a date from November of last year! ???? 

8 hours ago, 1 said:

But I will take a wager with anybody, on Leo beer specifically, after two months it's Highly Questionable about the results flavor-wise. 

I think you are correct there, the Leo I have at home doesn't seem to do very well so I tend to only keep a few cases and shop more, my San Miguel Light seems to do better, well it is mostly water.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think you are correct there, the Leo I have at home doesn't seem to do very well so I tend to only keep a few cases and shop more, my San Miguel Light seems to do better, well it is mostly water.

It is 5% abv same as most others, so why would it be mostly water.?The earth is mostly water come to that. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Some bars posted about Suppliers taking beer back, when the lockdown finished.

In my experience, bottled beer in Thailand has about 2 months before it starts to develop a bitter flavour, and it just gets worse until its undrinkable.

Most  mass produced beer actually has a maximum shelf life  of  about  3 months.

Proper genuine "naturally brewed" beer  does  much much better.

No surprise really is it that  many bars and the  like  have had  stock in the back room  for a  very long time, unrefridgerated, and probably not in a  dark  storage space.

The sniff test should be  to detect "rotting  vegetable " odours.

past it's  best beer  will not usually  make  you sick(er) but it is likely  your  farts will be more socially inhibiting.

Edited by Dumbastheycome
spullink

On 8/20/2020 at 10:32 PM, aussiexpat said:

Depends how it is stored. I believe beer that has been chilled then taken out to be stored then chilled again to be sold goes bad very fast.

21 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

past it's  best beer  will not usually  make  you sick(er) but it is likely  your  farts will be more socially inhibiting.

Disagree.... few years i drank a large bottle of 1 year old Chang Export (was already half drunk so didn't notice the taste).....woke up that night with projectile vomiting.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Disagree.... few years i drank a large bottle of 1 year old Chang Export (was already half drunk so didn't notice the taste).....woke up that night with projectile vomiting.

sure it wasn,t the slops out of a dozen nearly empty bottles and recapped and recycled?and they wonder why all the bars are empty.

21 hours ago, 1 said:

I went to Nikhom 2 nights ago and after having a pretty good run of new beers there, the first beer I pulled out had a date from November of last year! ???? 

At least in Nikom, you can get check the dates when you get it from the fridge..... and its freezing cold.

Tbh, its the only place I'd go now after last few weeks experience......old beer in 6 bars I was in.

23 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

1 year is  pushing it ! Shame on you  that you were  so  indifferent to the  taste. lmao !