Bad beer in town

William Osborne

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Just occurred  to me ! Chang  Export ???? I thought  they stopped  making that  many years  back ? 2015

Congratulations  on survival !

this was probably back in 2015..... used to buy in small shop across from my village.

Haven't bought beer from him since as he always used to have old/dodgy stock

dirty glasses can also add to the problem.  kind of like the sloppy way they do laundry...dirty water, <deleted> detergent, dirty rags, improper rinsing...I can almost count on one hand the number of times I have been given a nice clean, frosty glass in 22 years of coming here.  The other 30000 times I just drank out of the bottle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rott said:

It is 5% abv same as most others, so why would it be mostly water.?The earth is mostly water come to that. 

And the other 95%? You presume all the different brands have the same water volume and other components in that 95%?

The earth is mostly water is it....  okay, got that.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've had a few dodgy beers post lockdown whether I buy it from makro by the case or from the bar

A friend had a bottle of some flavor of Absolut...I did some research and am still fairly sure it was fake...thank you, Makro, HH.

BTW, the special edition Chinese New Year 490 ml Tiger cans that started showing up at 711, right before the ban, are still being made..50 THB...but don't get the one from February.  In other Tiger news..my Tesco sells tiger 4 pack, 320 ml cans for 122 THB, while a 12 pack is 375 THB....but the four packs are five months older.  I did buy a box of 620 ml Tigers for 615, though, and caught them trying to charge me 620..yeah, got the 5 (million) THB, but don't like getting overcharged by sloppy pigs.  Three of them scrambled, one got on the phone..I just walked back and pulled the 615 label off the shelf and brought it to the register.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  

10 minutes ago, moontang said:

I did buy a box of 620 ml Tigers for 615, though, and caught them trying to charge me 620..yeah, got the 5 (million) THB, but don't like getting overcharged by sloppy pigs.  Three of them scrambled, one got on the phone..I just walked back and pulled the 615 label off the shelf and brought it to the register.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  

No doubt it was a conspiracy by the Tesco cashier to overcharge a skint foreigner by 5 Baht, she saw you coming and straight away modded the cash register to overcharge you by a unacceptable amount of 0.15 USD.

I hope you gave here a skin full for trying that on you

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, moontang said:

.  I did buy a box of 620 ml Tigers for 615, though, and caught them trying to charge me 620..yeah, got the 5 (million) THB, but don't like getting overcharged by sloppy pigs.  Three of them scrambled, one got on the phone..I just walked back and pulled the 615 label off the shelf and brought it to the register.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  

I am quite surprised that you didnt rush home , log onto TVF and start a thread about your 5 Baht experience 

• Haha 1

Scanner accuracy is a big problem.  If you let them slide, it only gets worse.  I just made it clear that I was not going to pay more and would simply walk out. There wete no arguments or name calling.   Sloppy management, with too many sloppy employees..might explain their huge losses and forced sale.  Had words with them before about price accuracy (always in their favor), and was nearly bitten by a pack of dogs by the entrance.  Meanwhile, there are about 80 employees, on the clock, doing just about nothing.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

Not unusual for bars with a high turnover to take near sell by date stock at cheaper price. Seen it done in the UK, certain outlets could supply a keg cheaper near the sell buy date, pubs would take advantage of this for example when a bank holiday was arriving. Quick turnover no problem.

It would appear the pandemic has caught a lot out who did not adjust their purchasing strategy to fit a drastic fall off in trade, even then the pandemic has run way too long for most, very sad for the bars, another blow to add to their already dire situation, desperate times.

Edited by 473geo

17 minutes ago, 473geo said:

It would appear the pandemic has caught a lot out who did not adjust their purchasing strategy to fit a drastic fall off in trade, even then the pandemic has run way too long for most, very sad for the bars, another blow to add to their already dire situation, desperate times.

I for one have stopped going into town just because of this.....would always have a few afternoon beers Sat/Sun and maybe one big night out per week.

The bar owners must be aware of it, as Feb/Mar beer is almost undrinkable at this stage with customers complaining or leaving it behind.

Maybe they should advertise "fresh beer" on a sign outside, cause they're not going to stay in business selling <deleted> tasting beer

Edited by William Osborne

7 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

I for one have stopped going into town just because of this.....would always have a few afternoon beers Sat/Sun and maybe one big night out per week.

The bar owners must be aware of it, as Feb/Mar beer is almost undrinkable at this stage with customers complaining or leaving it behind.

Maybe they should advertise "fresh beer" on a sign outside, cause they're not going to stay in business selling <deleted> tasting beer

Kind of surprising that the foreign owned places are just as guilty....I am tempted to do a 5 for 300 Heineken promo this evening in BKK..will report my findings.

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And the other 95%? You presume all the different brands have the same water volume and other components in that 95%?

The earth is mostly water is it....  okay, got that.

So the other brands are not mostly water?? OK, I see, got that. 

Just to follow up...I was in town this week and witnessed this crisis, first-hand.  I must have went in 12 711s.  About ten if them had Heineken and/or Tiger from February or March.  It's very hit and miss, a 711 100m from a good one can have total <deleted>.  Didn't even bother with the bars, but does look like a systemic problem.  Reminds me of the lawyer talking to the two jailed smugglers.  If you knew, and thought no one else would, you're stupid..if you didn't know, you are also stupid.  Leave it to Thailand to tarnish the image of one of the most successful beer producers in history.  There should be an ETF, comprised of large cap companies that don't do business here..would likely be profitable.

• Like 1