List of lottery sellers reviewed in bid to end speculation

webfact

List of lottery sellers reviewed in bid to end speculation

By The Nation

800_5e61599ecf629bd.jpg?v=1597043711

The Government Lottery Office (GLO) is reviewing the list of 200,000 registered lottery sellers so it can weed out government and state enterprise officers selling lotteries as they are already withdrawing a salary from the government, said Pachara Anantasilp, director general of the Excise Department and chairman of the GLO committee.

“We will compare the list with payroll information from the Comptroller General’s Department, and suspend lottery-selling rights of some officials,” he said, adding that officials earning a very low salary will be allowed to sell lotteries to supplement their income. “This process will take three months,” he said.

Pachara said the office will also compare the list with that of the Department of Provincial Administration to ensure deceased officials’ right to sell lottery is not being used by others and that officials are not selling or nominating others to exercise their lottery-selling right.

“This move will cut down on the number of fraudulent lottery sellers and solve the problem of speculation, which makes the price of lottery tickets so expensive,” he said.

He added that the GLO will screen all lottery sellers by setting up a committee in each province, which will be led by the respective provincial governor.

“We expect this move to help lottery sellers buy lotteries directly from the office instead of having to go through middlemen, he said. “We will also suspend the right of lottery sellers who violate regulations.”

Pachara said this plan will be proposed to the Government Lottery Committee on August 19.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392746

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-10

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

“This move will cut down on the number of fraudulent lottery sellers and solve the problem of speculation, which makes the price of lottery tickets so expensive,”

Just move the whole thing online...allocate a fixed percentage to be paid to the ex lottery sellers till they naturally expire...none for the middlemen means more towards "good causes"  such as disabled,homeless and children's charities...government can take a lessor cut too.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the GLO will screen all lottery sellers by setting up a committee in each province, which will be led by the respective provincial governor.

Thailand has a love affair with committees !

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I've been told that the seller gets the payout and then gives some to the buyer?  Is this  true?  

No, not in my experience. I have had several wins on the Thai 'Official" Lottery with tickets bought from sellers outside Tesco Lotus. Having checked my tickets on-line (www.glo.or.th), I took the winning ones to a local gold shop which used to cash them for 20 baht.

If you win on the "unofficial (local)" lottery, then yes, you have to return to the seller to collect your winnings.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I've been told that the seller gets the payout and then gives some to the buyer?  Is this  true?  

There is so many unleagal lotto sellers! You can buy like 2 last number whit few bth. They pay if you win , or they business done!

They sell Thai lotto, Laos lotto, Vietnam lotto etc.

Simple solution introduce lotto machines into all 7/11 stores, you give 7/11 money machine punches out ticket, no price gouging no middleman Govt gets all the money except small commission to 7/11 and best of all you pay stipulated price for ticket too easy (except for Thailand)

19 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Never mind who is allowed to sell the lottery tickets. What happened to the short lived push by the PM to enforce the 80baht price? Down my way EVERYONE  (except police officers) pays 100bt minimum for a pair of tickets!!!!!!!!

some even ask for 110 baht on the day of the lottery......

The price of 80 baht is printed on ticket....this is what one should PAY if one wants to buy, of course!!

1 hour ago, a977 said:

Simple solution introduce lotto machines into all 7/11 stores, you give 7/11 money machine punches out ticket, no price gouging no middleman Govt gets all the money except small commission to 7/11 and best of all you pay stipulated price for ticket too easy (except for Thailand)

Haven't 7/11 already wiped out enough small businesses and vendors ?

Selling fried bananas, coffee or lottery tickets give people an income. who cares that they add a couple of baht on top. I would rather give a couple of baht to a private vendor instead of a corporation like 7/11, even if it does cost more.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Haven't 7/11 already wiped out enough small businesses and vendors ?

Selling fried bananas, coffee or lottery tickets give people an income. who cares that they add a couple of baht on top. I would rather give a couple of baht to a private vendor instead of a corporation like 7/11, even if it does cost more.

A couple of baht?  100 - 80 ==20Baht. And many crazy lottery ticket buyers buy them by the fistful. The sellers already get paid for selling them!