What do you see as the best career path for Thai students

kingstonkid

There are a lot of students in the system and going into the system.

Besides doctors what would you recommended as a field for Thai students to take as a career path.

Low on my list of course would be anything tourism related hotels or cooking.

I personally think the non university trades like Mechanic and such would be better at this time.

• Like 1

Difficult question depends on the student, my son studied in filming because it's what he wanted to do and he does work for 2 Thai TV channels so his doing what he likes but it's not easy no money up front in Thailand he take the job on and the risk. 

• Like 2

Computer science, Coding. Even a junior coder can land a 80000THB salary job in Bangkok. Can work also abroad or from remote. If talented can make 6 figures salary in USD as a junior dev..

That's the end of the sweet part. Must like mathematics and logic.

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1

Mine is in Economics and will have him do an additional in business management. I am grooming him to have his own business. Setting it up for him to be a partner with my Thai friend in a new factory already on the drawing board. I want him to be able to go into many different roles private and government if he wishes to. Not just locked in and I even know a few in government here and in the USA..

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

forget career path think attitude. in thailand, possibly more than other countries, the right attitude can get you a long way. i have business owning thai friends and the staffing problems are immense; lateness, laziness, dishonesty, unreliability are all common complaints. but it's not the whole picture, i also have friends from average families, who went to average universities, but have excellent jobs all because they have a positive, hard working, professional approach to their job. thailand is the land of opportunities for those with the right mindset. 

True. But he will get experience from many avenues for how to go about things from my personal experiences and connections to working it out himself while always being watched over. I am not grooming him to be only in one industry.

20 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Computer science, Coding. Even a junior coder can land a 80000THB salary job in Bangkok. Can work also abroad or from remote. If talented can make 6 figures salary in USD as a junior dev..

That's the end of the sweet part. Must like mathematics and logic.

Software developers and data scientists are always in short supply anywhere - Bangkok is no exception.

The really talented and capable software developers

can command much much more than 80k.

I recall seeing some very niche Unity3D development job postings sometime ago - starting salary 220k+ THB

9 minutes ago, varun said:

Software developers and data scientists are always in short supply anywhere - Bangkok is no exception.

I recall seeing some very niche Unity3D development job postings sometime ago - starting salary 220k+ THB

I know, In fact, I said 80k for a newbie ????

• Like 2

Like said here English! They focus that now in school system! What i think should do in here if have enough money and brain! Covermet officer whit PHD! Much extra work also where get really good money! And coverment salary (big in thai scale not in private sector), free healt care to all family, free school uniform and stuff your kids etc. More easy to get loan money if needed, respect from many and can get penssion early if you ok for money situation that point

Japanese Interpreter. I work for a Japanese manufacturing company and interpreters are always in high demand. A recent college grad can expect up to 80,000/month. Coupled with the multi-month end of the year bonuses. Ours last year was 9.5x. Unfortunately this year it might be only 5...

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You'd be lucky to get 300bht/day.

Manual work doesn't pay well in Thailand.

Minimum  wage now is 336 baht a day. Out where I am, going rate is 500 baht a day for unskilled manual labor and they can't find enough workers.

Nit that 500 baht a day is very much, it isn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You'd be lucky to get 300bht/day.

Manual work doesn't pay well in Thailand.

The guy who comes to clean my aircon every year takes 1,000 baht for about 2 hours of work...not a company, just a self employed guy...

And this is in Isaan...check how much they take in Pattaya or Bangkok...not 300 baht for one day of work...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

what would you recommended as a field for Thai students to take as a career path.

Whatever the student is exited about.

I recently saw this video about electrical engineering job advice and I think the message is universal. People are good at things which they really like to do. And when they are successful they will make money.

And even if the money in one job is better than in another people with the "right" job will enjoy their work and make money. That's what life should be about - at least in part.

56 minutes ago, Sundown said:
1 hour ago, varun said:

I know, In fact, I said 80k for a newbie ????

In principle it's correct that good computer people can make a lot of money.

But, the big but, is that that is one of the jobs which people have to love to make them right and to earn lots of money.

When I was young I spend the 24/7 with computers. And the other computer nerds which I knew did the same. We loved it and money was not the issue.

Anybody who "only" goes to university and only works 8h a day has no chance to keep up with the nerds.

And it's a lot of hard work to learn it if you don't love it.

So if anybody loves computers then go ahead and learn and make lots of money.

But if the person is not really interested in IT then forget that job. It will be a lot of stress and no fun with those nerds next to you.

OIP.l7l0XNdQnAZ9eW4Obx9xTwHaE4?w=234&h=1

• Like 2

Our son went to school in the UK from the start until he was 13 ,so his English is perfect ,he then went to a good private school here ,and on to a good university where he studied logistics ,luckily we knew someone who owned a company and he started there  .now runs a small company himself ,

you must learn English ,also Chinese if you can ,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The guy who comes to clean my aircon every year takes 1,000 baht for about 2 hours of work...not a company, just a self employed guy...

And this is in Isaan...check how much they take in Pattaya or Bangkok...not 300 baht for one day of work...

Crikey we live in Pattaya and the guy who cleaned our aircons charged 200 baht ,was there about 1.5 hrs

• Like 1