What do you see as the best career path for Thai students

kingstonkid

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I personally think the non university trades like Mechanic and such would be better at this time.

My wife's sons started computer technology this year at college, whatever that is, it's a 3 year course and they seem to have less classes than normal school, e.g. Mon-Wed 8-3 Thu 8-2 and Fri 8-1.

I advised them years ago to get a trade, e.g. one could be an electrician the other a carpenter, with skills as such they could work on building sites (bread and butter money) and when they have free time on the weekends they could use their skills in the village doing work for those requiring their services (cream) and when they built up a reputation they could go it alone, these two trades are always in demand.

Wish them the best of luck, come 18 when they have finished their course, they will be going into the real world, no sponging off of mum or dad, and mum agrees, she sees what I see, the laziness, no drive, so "up to you" is our attitude, they can work, pay rent, and study more as I did, no free ride from this farang. 

If they had the right attitude, weren't lazy, I would back them 100%, but there is no return on this investment so I will forgo it ????

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Do something you like .. and do it very well ...  Problem is that many kids do not know early on what they 'like' ...

Language skill / Engineering / Science and math / Nursing, Medical /

So true, at 16 I had no idea what I wanted to do. Fortunately I lived in Sheffield so the 30 minute career advisory teacher simply came up with this brilliant advice:

'Hello, DaLa, what job would you like to do in the steel industry?'

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

English.

So they have a better chance of getting the h3ll out of Thailand and into a modern day country with labor laws.

Either that or get them well accustomed to nepotism, cronyism and bullying.

I'm not convinced that studying English is a strong reason why employers in other countries would employ these folks.

In the countries where English is the native language everybody speaks English. Folks from say Thailand would (if they gain excellent English) possibly qualify for jobs in those countries on the factor of speaking the native language and therefore able to communicate well with other staff and customers.

But there will also be a specific profession / knowledge / vast experience / skill based requirement specific to each job, which the applicant would need to have.

Just being able to speak the native language, English, would not be the main capability needed to get 99% of jobs in the other countries. 

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think first learn English is a must,

Then a Lawyer 

absolutely .....   This should be mandatory for all students if they want to succeed.

As for the Lawyer,  well I expect they will always have plenty of Thai cheating farang cases.  

• Like 1

There is evidence that employers (Thai, Japanese, others) are not employing many fresh graduates from Thai unis. 

Many of these employers have had less then satisfactory, very low/zero added value from fresh young  graduates and they have to pay them higher salaries by law.

I'm aware of a syndicate of Japanese companies near Bkk who have all made a policy for many positions that all new employees must be at least 26/28 years old and have at least 5 years work experience and they have become much more serious about contacting past employees to get comments on the candidate involved from the direct supervisor/manager at the last job (not HR dept.). And with a final question 'would you re-employ Khun xxxxx'? 

And some of these companies have stopped using outside recruitment agencies because they are quite dissatisfied with the quality/alignment of the candidates these agencies send for interviews.

And best 'quality' high school leavers seem to contribute more.

Edited by scorecard

27 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Been there done that ( twice ) :crazy:

Now I have a disliking to guns and loud noises

How many coups did you participate in? How many elected governments did you overthrow? ????????

• Haha 1

Get out of Thailand and take the chances of studying higher degrees in Europe or another country that has high education standards and offering free education.

Side effect is learning English and getting a broader view of the real world.

• Like 1

General advice would be: they should do what they are good at, not necessarily what they enjoy. You can always do the enjoy bit as a hobby. 

If one is good at something the work simply gets done with no drama.

yes to the going overseas at some point. Not only broadens the mind but means near expat salary to go with it and rise to management when returning.

Shipping? The "golden" age is passed but there will always be ships. Bit of a one way career path as there is almost no shore based equivalent but an OK life if working for a good shipping line. There is a Marine training school in Samut Prakan. All smart in uniforms etc.. 

Q. How many respondents on here actually planned their "career" ?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, English Engineer said:

We are bringing my grandson up learning Thai, English and Mandarin. Languages always seem to be the key to many oportunities in Thailand.

You may not believe this ,but as our son was brought up in the UK and speaks perfect English ,at uni ,he was paid to teach it when not studying ,as his English was better than some teachers.amazing Thailand

Thank you all for your feedback.

It seems that the consensus is that  language is very important as the first step with English followed by Chinese and Japanese.

Computer coding if you can handle the math and logic is next with trades training being up there also.

I have many students in Matayom that have no idea what they want to do which is normal but seem to fall into the old trap of looking at what is or was popular.

I also have a couple of UNI students that are majoring in English and were thinking of hospitality and now have no idea where to turn.

wait, most of you here claim to be married with RICH CHINESE ELITE LADY

so, your kids must be loaded too, from doing nothing , right ?

or is it all fake ?

or you have pensions of 150.000-250.000 baht per month ...  you surely saved millions to give to your children when you are dead, right ?

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

absolutely .....   This should be mandatory for all students if they want to succeed.

As for the Lawyer,  well I expect they will always have plenty of Thai cheating farang cases.  

yes, if they smell the client cannot speak thai, the price doubles, tripples

cannot understand how poor thai get divorced, maybe end with murder the ex and inlaws and do jail time for 20 years ?

• Like 1

What I’m concerned about is the Education level in the villages ( I live in a village) a large percentage of children won’t get past 8th grade. What 

do they do from 8th grade until old enough to work a proper job? 

The system should educate children until 12th grade. At least they’d 

have a chance .... 

22 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I personally think the non university trades like Mechanic and such would be better at this time

Terrible idea, with the loss of mass jobs in factories there is a total glut of hands on work force twiddling their thumbs.

Now mechanical engineering ..............

21 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

Japanese Interpreter. I work for a Japanese manufacturing company and interpreters are always in high demand. A recent college grad can expect up to 80,000/month. Coupled with the multi-month end of the year bonuses. Ours last year was 9.5x. Unfortunately this year it might be only 5...

My thai friend works as a japanese interpreter in a japanese-owned company and has never made more than 30K. University degree in japanese, 3 years of experience. Where does a jap interpreter find 80K/month? Lol. She finds job offers through agencies, maybe that's the problem?

Edited by Seik

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

You may not believe this ,but as our son was brought up in the UK and speaks perfect English ,at uni ,he was paid to teach it when not studying ,as his English was better than some teachers.amazing Thailand

I can believe that the Lads  English skills were better than some ( probably most ).

My Daughter,s English is Fluent, and she regularly assists her Teachers in the Classroom with English, but she is never paid for that skill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Someone suggested programming in this thread because of all that money.

I just saw this video and as far as I am concerned I think the guy knows what he is talking about.

Think twice if that is the career you want.

Great find. this can easily be applied to probably most jobs. Sadly I only recently realised I should be enjoying what I have instead of being constantly pi!!ed off at everything.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 3:26 PM, JeffersLos said:

English.

So they have a better chance of getting the h3ll out of Thailand and into a modern day country with labor laws.

Either that or get them well accustomed to nepotism, cronyism and bullying.

Pretty stupid remark as Thailand has very good labor laws.

• Haha 1