Protesters deliver ‘people’s Constitution’ to Parliament

webfact

I'm afraid that those in power will do the same with this 'people's constitution' : toss it into the fire as the people are not supposed to have much rights or fairness. Obey authority, Prayut and those above him know what's best for the people...   ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Two hundred police to intimidate a bit of inconsequential street theater? Why is the government and its gangs of uniformed thugs so afraid of a handful of students?

Because they are a growing number of opposition voters.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Another consitution?

Just make a copy of rev. 1997.

Without going into detail, I think they should go a bit beyond merely going back to the 1997 constitution. But that would make a good interim one that could be enacted quickly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Not much mentioned of yesterdays protests. I read an excellent piece on that from Richard Barrows account.

I suppose the media is being cautious, though Khaosod English and such did a recent job. Prachatai English even has the list of demands the students made. All quite reasonable demands if you ask me but it may bit be well received by some...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's spot on with the demands, the country is suffering with lack of tourism and those at the top don't seem to care.

agree, they are spot on, let's hope somebody will listen, there are many democracies with kings/queens, Thailand should be able to have one as well, it's my understanding the kings/queens are to refrain from taking sides in politics quarrels, unfortunately sometimes they do and usually take side/support the ones that legally/illegally/by people votes/military action, etc., grabbed power

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

agree, they are spot on, let's hope somebody will listen, there are many democracies with kings/queens, Thailand should be able to have one as well, it's my understanding the kings/queens are to refrain from taking sides in politics quarrels, unfortunately sometimes they do and usually take side/support the ones that legally/illegally/by people votes/military action, etc., grabbed power

The monarchy in the UK are just figureheads and have been since the English civil war. Technically the Queen is the head of state and in charge of Her Majesties armed forces, but has no real power.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The monarchy in the UK are just figureheads and have been since the English civil war. Technically the Queen is the head of state and in charge of Her Majesties armed forces, but has no real power.

agree, they are not the only ones, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Spain, etc., just to mention a few, thus Thailand could opt for a similar situation and make things easier for the people

In Europe today there are only ten monarchies left:

• The Kingdom Belgium,
  • The Kingdom Denmark,
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,
  • The Principality Liechtenstein,
  • The Grand Duchy Luxembourg,
  • The Principality Monaco,
  • The Kingdom of the Netherlands,
  • The Kingdom Norway,
  • The Kingdom Spain,
  • The Kingdom Sweden.

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

agree, they are not the only ones, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Spain, etc., just to mention a few, thus Thailand could opt for a similar situation and make things easier for the people

• The Kingdom Belgium,
  • The Kingdom Denmark,
  • The Kingdom Norway,
  • The Kingdom Spain,
  • The Kingdom Sweden.

WW1 mooted many of their positions ( https://graphics.wsj.com/100-legacies-from-world-war-1/monarchies-in-crisis ).

In Russia the Romanov line fell. The power vacuum was then filled with Marxist bolscheviks ( one sort of understands Marx's ideas when reading about Austro-Hungarian empire ) which became commies. Hitler found an opening as did Mussolini. We're not done with the remnants of WW1 yet, Mao's disciple is still bullying the world.

Just sayin' .. world history is full of examples where the power vacuum has been filled with authoritarian strong men that were than extremely difficult to get rid of. Keep you eyes peeled and as always, plan B-C-D-E-F locked & loaded.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

• The Kingdom Belgium,
  • The Kingdom Denmark,
  • The Kingdom Norway,
  • The Kingdom Spain,
  • The Kingdom Sweden.

image.png.8afa9d8c8f69a0c5267453fde21a5890.png

As a conservative I see little point in the proposal. 

The country is currently doing well, relative to other countries amidst covid situation. I doubt fight for lease majesty law could have any direct benefits for everyday economy, it might like briton faffing to exit eu, sounds so impressive and glorius, but only ended up as a mess laughing stock and years of faffing non-progressive.

If I have to name biggest issues for Thailand, I would say 1. occasional xenophobic and sinophobic, 2. vast laziness and irresponsible attitude, 3. lack of higher education. More have to do with the people rather than tops.

4 hours ago, Coremouse said:

I doubt fight for lease majesty law could have any direct benefits for everyday economy,

There main point is that any and all people and institutions must be under the law/constitution. That's currently not the case. And thus not terribly democratic. Amending 112 is only a small part of it.

• Like 1