When a new car isn't

gunderhill

Looking at various new pick ups  in the last few weeks came across an advert from a main dealer, it said its had a brand new pick up for sale and the price was very good. 

Today I went to have a look at it, sure enough it was new but new 3  years  ago built August 2017, anyway I chatted  about it   with the sales person and started to negotiate.

We discussed  all the extras they'd  include,  I asked for a lot, floor  mats factory originals, sports  bar, new tyres, new  battery,  fuel filter change , oil filter  change, air  filter change, brake  fluid  change ( change every 2  years said the manual) I also asked for various trim pieces to be changed including front grill ( faded)  side  body protectors ( faded),windscreen wipers ( peeling rubber) etc etc

They said  all would be changed, I also noticed a  rat or  mouse had been under the engine and had eaten some foam on the engine cover, no chewed cables, they too  would change this.

Then came the  killer for me, how  about the 3  year 100000km warranty............ they said expires in 4  months!!! I said all new models from them come with 3  year 100k km warranty and 3  years breakdown cover.

So I'm guessing here this is an unsold older vehicle that's been registered already but  not used, they said they would add another year of their own warranty but I doubt  that  will match the official manufacturers  warranty. Also there's  the matter of the 3  years breakdown cover.

So they've told me it's a new  car and it isn't.

Does the green  book  indicate how many previous  owners? I asked them about the Green book but  they say it does  not  have one as I would be the first owner. So I'm wondering why the warranty has been used up. Its clear to see the car hasn't been used, 9km on the clock.

Live and learn, nothing wrong with the vehicle but  almost no warranty.

Edited by gunderhill

To car has more bad to only stand than little use! If somebody offer me Dodge Charger 1969 and say its new, i happy to pay price what that was in 1969(in dollar not chance money value)! But not 3 years old Nissan,Toyota what ever lol

Are you planning on financing or paying cash? If cash, then I would think a heavy discount would be in order without the 3 year 100k warranty.  So if the vehicle is worth 800000 then an equivalent of maybe 15 to 20 percent would be in order.  However failing this, I would walk away. A catastrophic failure problem after the 4 months - or discovering something that was covered up well could make you lose your investment. Personally I think buying a new Chevy Truck even thought Chevrolet is not in business here anymore, would be a way better deal...

Edited by mosan
Clarity

25 minutes ago, mosan said:

Are you planning on financing or paying cash? If cash, then I would think a heavy discount would be in order without the 3 year 100k warranty.  So if the vehicle is worth 800000 then an equivalent of maybe 15 to 20 percent would be in order.  However failing this, I would walk away. A catastrophic failure problem after the 4 months - or discovering something that was covered up well could make you lose your investment. Personally I think buying a new Chevy Truck even thought Chevrolet is not in business here anymore, would be a way better deal...

Unfortunately this is Chevrolet, and the story get's  better.

I  texted Chevrolet off their website I gave them the vin number, they said this  car is not  new, they said this  car has done 1000km and is a demonstrator vehicle. The dealer just told me this  car is new this  car has done 8km so why then  only 4  months  warranty, and how has the warranty started if the vehicle has never been registered and there is  no green  book yet.

Dealer  just sent me a photo of the mileage  attached....8km

Someone and I think we know  who is  telling very big  lies,  looking round at the dealers they also have some more old  stock there as dates on those were 2017 to 2019  year of manufacture.

And  NOW for the grand finale............... Chevrolet Thailand just sent me this  message, seems  like they havent a  clue what they are saying, the car is a  2017 but IS new and is NOT a demonstrator and DOES have a 3 year guarantee.

SOLD 499k baht Chevrolet LTZ Z71 top model X cab, old  list price 799k reduced when chevvy decided to quit to 599k and this  dealer  will do it for 499k, thats   great deal.

Chevrolet head  office.CLUELESS

Sorry for the information that we told you previously. We are communicate with sale consultant staff name  xxxxxx of xxxxx dealership again for information about a car VIN. MMM142LM0JH619963, Mr,xxxxx told us that’s this car is a newest car with 9 miles and you will get warranty 3 years or 100,000 kms. whatever comes first after delivery date.

116911231_394298644879457_3134748728109315619_n.jpg

Edited by gunderhill

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

To car has more bad to only stand than little use! If somebody offer me Dodge Charger 1969 and say its new, i happy to pay price what that was in 1969(in dollar not chance money value)! But not 3 years old Nissan,Toyota what ever lol

I'm ok buying a  3  year  old  car discounted by 100k over the already heavily discounted price with oil and filter change, brake  fluid  change, fuel  filter change, air  filter  change, new tyres , new  battery,new brake  fluid. + changing of some faded plastic external trim. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Better to buy new, you can even get 0% now...

Are you talking about 0% down financing. I not totally sure, but I think that is only for Thais - unless you have a work permit. And even then I wouldn't bet on that information.  Unless you've got some solid proof...

Edited by mosan
Clarity

3 minutes ago, mosan said:

Are you talking about 0% down financing. I not totally sure, but I think that is only for Thais - unless you have a work permit. And even then I wouldn't bet on that information.  Unless you've got some solid proof...

I'm paying cash outright for this vehicle if  it  has the 3  year warranty which has now been confirmed by Chevrolet.

At this  price I could  just about buy a secondhand one with no warranty and however many km's and maybe lack of maintenance.

• Like 1

Normally warranty would start on the date of first registration. If the car is unregisteted then it should have full warranty. If registered then warranty will expire three years after registration.  Any dealer-based warranty will be far inferior to factory warranty.  

Has the car been stored inside or outside?  Be cautious if stored outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

I'm paying cash outright for this vehicle if  it  has the 3  year warranty which has now been confirmed by Chevrolet.

At this  price I could  just about buy a secondhand one with no warranty and however many km's and maybe lack of maintenance.

I'm tempted to buy a Chevrolet. A local Kubota dealer just outside of Det Udom in Ubon Ratchathani Province on highway 24 has 4 on their lot, but they refuse to lower the price. They are 2019 models, very clean.

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I'm ok buying a  3  year  old  car discounted by 100k over the already heavily discounted price with oil and filter change, brake  fluid  change, fuel  filter change, air  filter  change, new tyres , new  battery,new brake  fluid. + changing of some faded plastic external trim. 

Where are you going to service the car. Because if they are lying so obviously now, are you sure they will honour any warranty? 

The moment the dealership closes down, they are gone. They’ll leave any remaining cars to be sold by proxy at tents etc, meanwhile leaving you without any recourse to warranty. 

On the other hand, you are buying a 3 year old pickup, which sells second hand for around 400,000 baht, and paying an extra 100,000 baht for no mileage. 

Who is underwriting the warranty once Chevrolet disappears?

Chevrolet will disappear - that is almost a guarantee. They are doing whatever they can to sell off their unsold stock as quickly as possible, even if that means lying through their teeth.

Valid point, 2nd hand ones are worth about 400-450k (look on one2car.com) - more KMS and questionable service history. 

15 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I  texted Chevrolet off their website I gave them the vin number, they said this  car is not  new, they said this  car has done 1000km and is a demonstrator vehicle. The dealer just told me this  car is new this  car has done 8km so why then  only 4  months  warranty, and how has the warranty started if the vehicle has never been registered and there is  no green  book yet.

Someone and I think we know  who is  telling very big  lies,  looking round at the dealers they also have some more old  stock there as dates on those were 2017 to 2019  year of manufacture.

And  NOW for the grand finale............... Chevrolet Thailand just sent me this  message, seems  like they havent a  clue what they are saying, the car is a  2017 but IS new and is NOT a demonstrator and DOES have a 3 year guarantee.

SOLD 499k baht Chevrolet LTZ Z71 top model X cab, old  list price 799k reduced when chevvy decided to quit to 599k and this  dealer  will do it for 499k, thats   great deal.

Sorry for the information that we told you previously. We are communicate with sale consultant staff name  xxxxxx of xxxxx dealership again for information about a car VIN. MMM142LM0JH619963, Mr,xxxxx told us that’s this car is a newest car with 9 miles and you will get warranty 3 years or 100,000 kms. whatever comes first after delivery date.

If I were in the market for a pickup truck and was planning to keep if for a long time, I'd go for that deal. Might ask if they have new headlamps to finalise the deal, just so the ones on it at the moment don't fog up for an extra 3 years.

For  sure a  whole  bunch of  lying going on between Chevrolet and this dealer, today Chevrolet  told me  again this  car has 3  year warranty, today the dealer told me it has  4  month warranty, as  soon as I start to question who is  lying...guess what??? yep this  car now sold to someone else hahahahahah anything but admit 1 the car is secondhand with almost  no warranty and 2  so they dont have to explain to Chevrolet that they are doing bad practice within the brand name.

So allegedly "someone "  has bought this  car this  morning between 9-10am this way they dont have to admit the whole story they concocted was BS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

So its a brand new 3 year old car thats lost half its value

How long do you plan to keep it, over 10 years its a steal  

It "was" a  steal if they hadn't already used it, and if it had the 3  year guarantee, but now to save face and  cover their malpractice and  lying its  now "suddenly"  sold.

Pretty disgusting games they are playing.

19 hours ago, gunderhill said:

sure enough it was new but new 3  years  ago built August 2017, anyway I chatted  about it   with the sales person and started to negotiate.

I would walk away from it, a car sitting around for that long with 9km on it is not good, warranty or not in my opinion, cars need to keep moving and oils need to be changed regularly otherwise things cease. It seems to me that you are looking for a good price and warranty, as we all do, the bargain, but not in this case, this will soon be your problem as I hear Chevy is moving, good luck with it, make your bed lay in it, once purchased you will see what I mean.

19 hours ago, gunderhill said:

it said its had a brand new pick up for sale and the price was very good. 

3 Yr old New car .

Get Everything changed Oils Filters and whatever you can think off .

than tell them that you will pay the same price as a 3 Yr old Used car .

Because if you later on want to Trade or sell it you will lose 3 yrs Value  Used car Book price.

Please note AXA declined to insure my Colorado this year on the grounds parts ma be exey/ impossible to get.  Roojai took it up. Chev also never showed up , despite saying they would , when I broke down with 40k on the clock. 

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Please note AXA declined to insure my Colorado this year on the grounds parts ma be exey/ impossible to get.  Roojai took it up. Chev also never showed up , despite saying they would , when I broke down with 40k on the clock. 

what was the problem with your  vehicle and what model was it? If it was the Captiva Id  understand,  not  good to hear no one turned up to help you though, what was the outcome?

Today I  have found more dealers  ready  to  haggle, were down to 520k  made in 2019 with 3  year guarantee, a  much better proposition and 3  colours to choose from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

3 Yr old New car .

Get Everything changed Oils Filters and whatever you can think off .

than tell them that you will pay the same price as a 3 Yr old Used car .

Because if you later on want to Trade or sell it you will lose 3 yrs Value  Used car Book price.

Already mentioned that and  more, deal is  off  now  anyway and good  riddance to them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, gunderhill said:

Good for you the deal is off. Besides the 8km shown in the picture is not the mileage of the car, it's how far the little bit of diesel will take you until the tank is totally empty..

14 hours ago, gunderhill said:

what was the problem with your  vehicle and what model was it? If it was the Captiva Id  understand,  not  good to hear no one turned up to help you though, what was the outcome?

Today I  have found more dealers  ready  to  haggle, were down to 520k  made in 2019 with 3  year guarantee, a  much better proposition and 3  colours to choose from.

I refer to yearly , "first class" insurance. AXA didnt wish to write Insurance  on my Chev Colorado this year. A Co. called Roojai  did and was cheaper than AXAs policy last year.

Ok so after a  good  battle I got this  deal for a Chevvy X  cab LTZ Z71 which is  the  top spec  1.5 cab 3  year guarantee includes 

Tub  liner   REAL Chevrolet

Chevrolet brand   Wheel fender  flairs  

Seat for behind   driver  

black Chevrolet emblems front and rear  

Chevrolet brand car mats  

2  cup  holders

Window  tint   40% tint

Black sticker on bonnet 

Rear “COLORADO” sticker

Mudflaps

+1500 for diesel

3  year warranty

525000 baht. (+3500 refundable for red number)

Original price 799,000 reduced to 599,000  on Chevrolet  announcing closure paid 525,000 inc extras made in 2019 3  year  warranty 3  year breakdown cover, should  look  more  like this with the extras  added  on

1597207860215.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by gunderhill

7 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I refer to yearly , "first class" insurance. AXA didnt wish to write Insurance  on my Chev Colorado this year. A Co. called Roojai  did and was cheaper than AXAs policy last year.

I meant  when the vehicle broke down, what was the fault?