Missing Brit found safe

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There you go assuming stuff again. Please tell me about the rented bike.

After living in Phuket Town for four years, which do you think is more likely. That he owns a bike, or, that he still rents a bike.

Can't pay the bribe, yes, you get charged and detained. Who owns the bike wouldn't even have come up at the time.

Sherlock Holmes went on observation and evidence. Neither things you have a passing acquaintance with.

I,ll stick with my theory if that’s ok!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maprao said:

Ok I missed the link to the article . My bad. 

Such kind forgiving posters on here.....

He should have fond as @LivinginKata said fixed it with money!

If everything said here is true, then jailtime of at least three years and a heavy fine, there is no excuse for drunk driving.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

From the photograph we can see he is the high quality type of British tourist the government would like to attract.

Ever heard of the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover"?

I've met a few multi-millionaires during my time here in Phuket, though, you would never know by looking at them. One thing they all had in common, was that they didn't care what strangers thought of them. A couple of them even dressed the same way as the subject of this thread. Then again, that could be because they were 'yachties'.....

And for the numerous pedants here, no, I'm not claiming this guy is very rich.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Drunk, riding a scooter and in a foreign country, I would expect that from a younger tourist, but a gentleman my age, oh contre, servith thy rit, no sympathy, although glad to hear he was found alive, watchout for the go fund me page ????

If you rounded up all the ex-pats who ride their scooters whilst over the limit you would fill every prison ten times over.  Most have a brown envelope at the ready just in case ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As someone that went through the DUI process in Thailand last year, hired lawyers, did the wais, paid up etc etc I can say that it is a bit strange he's still in jail. Cops ask for 30-40k in the station. If you don't have it on you immediately you're in the local jail cell for the night.

Once they process the paperwork and send the charges to the prosecutor's office, Bail is 100k for DUI (assuming 1st time). You get released in 24-36 hrs.

You're then stuck in Thailand (they take your passport) until the "trial", with bi-weekly check-ins at the court. You do these check-ins for around 8 weeks.

You don't actually go to trial, it's more of a remediation/arbitration proceeding where you and your lawyer meet with a judge. She lectures you in Thai for being a stupid farang. You and your lawyer wai. You hand them 40k and they give you your passport back. You also pay for any damages you may have caused to the other bike. So long as you are humble, have money, and do everything you ask, it goes fine. 

There's no way he'd still be in jail two weeks after an accident. Assuming he can't come up with the bail, or the accident is more serious, or he's got priors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

As someone that went through the DUI process in Thailand last year, hired lawyers, did the wais, paid up etc etc I can say that it is a bit strange he's still in jail. Cops ask for 30-40k in the station. If you don't have it on you immediately you're in the local jail cell for the night.

Once they process the paperwork and send the charges to the prosecutor's office, Bail is 100k for DUI (assuming 1st time). You get released in 24-36 hrs.

You're then stuck in Thailand (they take your passport) until the "trial", with bi-weekly check-ins at the court. You do these check-ins for around 8 weeks.

You don't actually go to trial, it's more of a remediation/arbitration proceeding where you and your lawyer meet with a judge. She lectures you in Thai for being a stupid farang. You and your lawyer wai. You hand them 40k and they give you your passport back. You also pay for any damages you may have caused to the other bike. So long as you are humble, have money, and do everything you ask, it goes fine. 

There's no way he'd still be in jail two weeks after an accident. Assuming he can't come up with the bail, or the accident is more serious, or he's got priors.

It tends to be luck of the draw in Thailand.  Brown envelopes vary greatly and what is "demanded" at the station (or before you get there) can often be halved.  Only use a lawyer you already know as they can cost you more than they save you.

Yes! Know your lawyer.

One other note, to that point: you have to be bailed out by a Thai citizen.

Once your court proceedings are concluded, bail is returned, but only back into the bank account of the Thai. ????

In my case, it was the lawyer, who used a portion of the bail for her services.

Around 20k all in for multiple filings and appearances. I got lucky, she easily could have claimed the full 100k.

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I've met a few multi-millionaires during my time here in Phuket, though, you would never know by looking at them. One thing they all had in common, was that they didn't care what strangers thought of them. A couple of them even dressed the same way as the subject of this thread.

I have seen photos of a Thai billionaire dressed the same way as the subject of this thread; he had some kind of tattoos too.

By the way, nobody seems to have noticed the alcohol level; according to the article, they measured the alcohol level as 300mg. If that is a correct measurement, it is quite impressive that he was able to get on the scooter.

Edited by farang51

as a few before me have stated its too easy to judge people from a particular look you may not like.

Any Decent person gives others the benifit of any doubt its not like he is tattooed all over his face.

As you say pay any money police ask does this make you a good person?

Or just a mini red bull gives you wings character that we love to shout about in as far money buys justice.

Seems to me guy is obviously not destitute lives here 4 years was suppossed to fly to Bulgaria for family get together so not exiled from family .

We all make mistakes from time to time could be accident was not his fault it will all come out in time i do not drive in thailand so one less chance for farang extortion used on me

1 hour ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Yeah, the price gets higher, the further up the system you go. Paid out one of my SO's mates with a positive drug test - 20,000 bt, asking for 30,000bt but she negotiated it down. I always let my SO do the negotiating stuff; they see a Farang ... ?

Not doubting this at all but surely nobody has 30 - 40K THB on their person, so how could it be paid immediately.. I was told it was 20K they would ask for as that was the max you could withdraw from an ATM daily?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, stuarty said:

Not doubting this at all but surely nobody has 30 - 40K THB on their person, so how could it be paid immediately.. I was told it was 20K they would ask for as that was the max you could withdraw from an ATM daily?

I'm able to withdraw 50K daily. There's something more than a minor accident and DUI though. The drinking has caught up with him or is he giving a thumbs up about the food and room.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:45 PM, sammieuk1 said:

What's the charges driving with due care and attention by any chance ????

They're just waiting for his Dentist to confirm that he supplied him with illegal cocaine, then the Red Bull private jet will fly him to watch the formula one

On 8/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, KarenBravo said:

Then read the full article.

I'll save you the bother.

He's been charged with drunken driving and reckless driving after hitting a motorbike whilst on his motorbike causing injury. He's still in prison as the police are waiting for a criminal background check from Bangkok.

Jail will make everyone else safe from him and keep him off the sauce.