New Color Deficiency Test and Grace Period 2 -> 3 years ?

moogradod

My wife went to the Land Transport Office in Chonburi to have her 2 year car license renewed to 5 years.

1. She told me that they made her use some machine which projected red, green or yellow to the sides of the eyes right next to them.

2. The Thai application form mentions that she could have used the 2 year license for one more year without renewal.

My 2 year licenses for car and motorbike will as well run out within some 14 days and I have to renew for 2 years (unfortunately my Elite Visa does not allow 5 years). When I made the color blindness test at Chachoengsao at the time I was asked to tell the color of spots pointed at with a stick within a large circle, which was very easy and I passed with flying colors. But I know that I have some percentage of red-green color deficiency because I could never pass a Ishihara test. So this color deficiency is not "either you have it or not" - there are shades depending on the test method (for which I am a living example). Now I am a bit nervous because I do not know if the method described by my wife is a new standard or a procedure used at selected LTO recently which I would pass easily or not.

A) Does anybody know if this is a new procedure (or even a standard) and if they use still the "big circle" in Chachoengsao or at the LT Office in Banglamung or elsewhere ? Banglamung would actually be the nearest option but I dont care to go anywhere.

B) Could I really use my 2 year licenses for one more year without renewal and if not what would be the grace period in case of me as farang and a renewal 2 -> 2 years. Or is this only for Thai nationals and when renewing to 5 years.

Besides I am ready to get my Residence Certificates, have all the copies needed plus Med Cert. Just have to decide now which LTO. Chonburi would have been nice, not too many people, my wife got an appointment within a few days online but this new color test is a bit risky for me.

Edited by moogradod

" I know that I have some percentage of red-green color deficiency because I could never pass a Ishihara test"

Then should you be driving or riding a motorcycle at all? I used the LT near JJ in Bangkok, they do the test as described by your wife.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, saakura said:

" I know that I have some percentage of red-green color deficiency because I could never pass a Ishihara test"

Then should you be driving or riding a motorcycle at all? I used the LT near JJ in Bangkok, they do the test as described by your wife.

I am driving cars and bikes since 45 years partially under the worst conditions and without any incident ever. Obviously other countries have different opinions about the severity of this green-red deficiency in the licensing process. As I said - I recognize the colors immediately - but the Ishihara is to a certain percentage difficult. But I have never encountered an Ishihara on the street.

Thanks for the info about the LT in BKK.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blackcab said:

When your license is expired your entitlement to drive expires at the same time. There is no grace period at all when it comes to your entitlement to drive.

What you are referring to is the period after your license expires when the Department of Land Transport will renew the license without making you start the entire process from scratch.

These are two very different things.

True in normal circumstances, but there is a limited  amnesty in place right now and you can drive on an expired licence , provided you have applied to renew and are in possession  of a booked appointment at your local DLT. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks Pilotman. I will apply then right away. There must be quite a backlog of applications nationwide.

I just remember how this went in Tokyo: I applied for the license and the guy behind the counter showed me indeed a Ishihara picture with a size of about 20 cm diameter. And I said: What is this ? He then showed me another plate (took seconds) with a single 20 cm diameter dark red dot. And I said: This is red. And so I passed.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Try the ole: "Did you drop this 1000 baht note?"   ????

Maybe funny but I have personally seen this and it works.

Another option is the agent route.  Never seen anyone fail with their agent signaling to the examiner prior to the test.

Just sayin.

24 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks Pilotman. I will apply then right away. There must be quite a backlog of applications nationwide.

I just remember how this went in Tokyo: I applied for the license and the guy behind the counter showed me indeed a Ishihara picture with a size of about 20 cm diameter. And I said: What is this ? He then showed me another plate (took seconds) with a single 20 cm diameter dark red dot. And I said: This is red. And so I passed.

I have never quite understood color perception tests.  There must be a difference between not seeing red and green at all and seeing them, but seeing them differently to what is considered 'normal'.  For example, if to a persons eyes,  green looks blue and red looks  brown, so long as you know what they mean to drivers, isn't that okay?  I know that would not do for pilots, or some other professions, but I fail to see why a person can't drive with that amount of differentiation. In fact, many people must do so.   I Must be missing something here. 

Edited by Pilotman

2 hours ago, saakura said:

I have a deficiency on my left eye. If I do the colour test, where there is a number somewhere in a circle with all coloured balls, in many cases I can't clearly see the number.

Same goes when you with those posts you often see on FB where there is a hidden object or number.

When I take off my glasses or close my left eye, there is no problem.

Do you really think I can not distinguish a green from and amber or red traffic light, and I should stay off the roads?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe funny but I have personally seen this and it works.

Another option is the agent route.  Never seen anyone fail with their agent signaling to the examiner prior to the test.

Just sayin.

Amen Brother...money greases the skids very effectively in Thailand...

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

1. She told me that they made her use some machine which projected red, green or yellow to the sides of the eyes right next to them.

It's a peripheral vision test.

No need to worry about the colours, just holler when you see a light flash to the left or right.

I took this test for my 2 year and 5 year licences.

If your peripheral vision is bad you can take a special eye test at a hospital who issue a certificate excusing that part of the test.

The traffic lights in most of the world are red, green, amber.

Different configurations at intersections, railroad crossings, bridges, construction zones, etc.

Red and green are obviously used to stop or go.

I think most with some "minor hue impairment" can tell the difference on the roadways.  But, if a person has a severe issue and difficulty distinquishing between the two, it can be a major problem and obviously could cause an accident.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, Tanoshi said:

It's a peripheral vision test.

No need to worry about the colours, just holler when you see a light flash to the left or right.

I took this test for my 2 year and 5 year licences.

If your peripheral vision is bad you can take a special eye test at a hospital who issue a certificate excusing that part of the test.

This one was definitely a color test. My wife was only asked for the names of the colors - no such thing as indicating if you see something approaching from the left or right.

Has not anyone taken a test at Banglamung lately ? How do they test the colors there ? The good ole big circle or something else. They seem to have abandoned the Ishihara everywhere anyway but there is still this thing my wife describes or lights looking like a red light (only in this case the position is not what it used to be of course).

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

This one was definitely a color test. My wife was only asked for the names of the colors - no such thing as indicating if you see something approaching from the left or right.

No, the lights may be coloured but that's immaterial, it's a test for peripheral vision.

You can stick your thumb up to indicate you saw a light, because they won't understand a word you say in English.

It's no different than the same test you may have at an opticians.

The colour blindness test is a chart where they point at colours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

No, the lights may be coloured but that's immaterial, it's a test for peripheral vision.

You can stick your thumb up to indicate you saw a light, because they won't understand a word you say in English.

It's no different than the same test you may have at an opticians.

The colour blindness test is a chart where they point at colours.

I have questioned my wife again and now there seems to emerge more of the whole picture. You may be right with the "peripheral vision", BUT the colors play a role as well since my wife was definitely asked what color she did see doing this test (obviously there are some colors used by the machine they have in Chonburi for the peripheral vision test).

On top they did test "color blindness" (with the big circle - would be no problem for me), reaction (no problem for me, I am as quick as my neighbors cat) and 3D vision (aligning 2 sticks - no problem for me). I have done peripheral tests in the past (using extremely complicated machinery) at opticians without problems before but never this "color dependent" simple machine.

In my first test for my Thai DL I did not need to do the "Peripheral vision", but the other three tests and it was no problem. So the appropriate question would be for now: Which Land Transport Office does not require the "peripheral vision" test (using obviously somehow colors which I may either identify or not) - I never did use this machine - so I dont know and that is the issue.

Especially interesting is the procedure at the Banglamung LTO. Only color blindness with the big circle, reaction and 3D or as well this "Peripheral Vision" ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

Especially interesting is the procedure at the Banglamung LTO. Only color blindness with the big circle, reaction and 3D or as well this "Peripheral Vision" ?

When I did the initial 4 tests at my old LTO, the peripheral vison test was just a white light appearing left or right. I'd just give a 'Yup' whenever I saw a a light.

The old 3D test aligning sticks was via a rope you pulled until level

2 years on they built a new office and I obviously picked the wrong day to go for my 5 year licence because it was heaving with folks taking the full test for their first licence and the chap that normally handles the testing was knee deep with learners.

Everything was now electronic other than the coloured spots on a board for the colour blindness test.

Thankfully one of administrative staff downstairs came to my aid.

Colour blindness test over, she spent the next several minutes trying to find the power switch for the peripheral vision, 3D test and emergency stop equipment with no luck.

After 10 minutes she proudly announced I'd passed the tests and sent me for a photo take for my new licences.  ????

It was a friend who later told me the peripheral test machine now used coloured lights - but a 'grunt' was still the norm for foreigners.

I was back again just last week, transferring ownership of a vehicle and both the electronic 3D and peripheral vision equipment were out of order.