Decent brand of notebook

Kenny202

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Id be worried about my info going to ANY government ????????????????

I'd be much more worried about outsorced staff of the social networks.

I was told once by the VK.com employee that they have students for part time job as moderators (to search and delete illicit content), with salary just about 300 usd/mo. These moderators have full access to "closed" profiles, files and personal messages, because they need it to find that illicit content.

Just imagine how random Joe Kumar from Bangalore sees all your dikpiks in personal messages, working as Facebook moderator ????

A great opportunity for blackmailing.

• Like 1

Its pretty laughable the Huawei stealing peoples info thing. Facebook and co been doing that for years, and since covid seems to be getting worse. I only need talk to someone about a product on the phone and next minute getting bombarded with advertising on every program, website and app, including this one! Every app knows your location of every minute...your buying habits etc. Send an email or message about a specific thing and pop ups galore. It's gotten beyond a joke

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Its pretty laughable the Huawei stealing peoples info thing. Facebook and co been doing that for years, and since covid seems to be getting worse. I only need talk to someone about a product on the phone and next minute getting bombarded with advertising on every program, website and app, including this one! Every app knows your location of every minute...your buying habits etc. Send an email or message about a specific thing and pop ups galore. It's gotten beyond a joke

These are a bit different things: Huawei is into a corporate espionage and intellectual property theft, and apps are "just" into advertisements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I find it quite odd that if I buy something form Lazada, I suddenly get lots of adverts from Lazada for the thing I just bought.

That's everywhere now. Go for a trip (well, in 2021..) and google will suggest hotels for a month after you've already returned. Annoying.

6 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I find it quite odd that if I buy something form Lazada, I suddenly get lots of adverts from Lazada for the thing I just bought.

You can get those when the item's in your shopping cart. Aliexpress is good about that, as you may find something better, cheaper, or related of interest.

Anyway, login browsing history and tracking cookies are how they do that. Delete the cookies from your browser and the sites will forget until your next browsing session or login. They may still target your IP address but that's really just a shotgun approach. 

I had an Acer for years, Windows 7, paid to get it upgraded to Windows 10, thats when the troubles started, eventually froze up  . I suspect the upgrade was  a dodgy version, however prior to that it was excellent.     Now have a Lenovo Ideapad,  when it works its great, when it goes crazy and jumps all over the internet, I  feel tempted to go out to my shed and get an axe to fix it... In  between these two I had a Compac... "el cheepo"  it sufficed  till I made up my mind which to buy,  regretably.

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I had an Acer for years, Windows 7, paid to get it upgraded to Windows 10, thats when the troubles started, eventually froze up  . I suspect the upgrade was  a dodgy version, however prior to that it was excellent.     Now have a Lenovo Ideapad,  when it works its great, when it goes crazy and jumps all over the internet, I  feel tempted to go out to my shed and get an axe to fix it... In  between these two I had a Compac... "el cheepo"  it sufficed  till I made up my mind which to buy,  regretably.

This is why I encourage all to learn to do installs themselves. It's relatively easy. That way you don't have to guess at what dodgy stuff might be on your PC.

The ACER would probably be still usable, if you had posted here concerning the issues and followed instruction.

Instead, you possibly make the same mistakes over and over again.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, BigStar said:

Anyway, login browsing history and tracking cookies are how they do that. Delete the cookies from your browser and the sites will forget until your next browsing session or login. They may still target your IP address but that's really just a shotgun approach. 

there are also:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/IndexedDB_API

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Cache

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/localStorage

Which are not deleted when you clear the browsing history and cookies. Also there are numerous other documented and undocumented ways of tracking and remembering users and storing data on their computers,

↓       ↓      ↓

bad.jpg

You could really clear the saved stuff by creating new browser profiles and deleting them some time later. For example, for Firefox you should run "firefox --profilemanager --no-remote" from the command line.

Edited by fdsa

I ended up opting for Huawaei D15 Matebook. Seems to be well specced for everyday use and a great buy at 14990 baht. Haven't used Windows for some 6 or 7 years and really taxing my memory. Having a problem installing office, wont let me open Excel or Windows documents, says there is a problem with one drive which I don't even want to use. It takes me to the one drive website, I log on etc and still a problem. I can't seem to find a way to turn it off as I don't want to back up to someone else's hard drive anyway. Privacy on a personal computer has become a joke

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I ended up opting for Huawaei D15 Matebook. Seems to be well specced for everyday use and a great buy at 14990 baht. Haven't used Windows for some 6 or 7 years and really taxing my memory. Having a problem installing office, wont let me open Excel or Windows documents, says there is a problem with one drive which I don't even want to use. It takes me to the one drive website, I log on etc and still a problem. I can't seem to find a way to turn it off as I don't want to back up to someone else's hard drive anyway. Privacy on a personal computer has become a joke

Better to use Windows 10 with a Local account, as opposed to the default Microsoft sign in.

Which version of Office?