Scooters undercutting on u turns

RopeySG

15 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I really dont know why they do it as it also puts them at more risk by ending up on the wrong side of the road after the U turn and needing to cut back over to the left. 

That would be logical. When have you seen a logical Thai driver? 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, RopeySG said:

Thanks a lot, it's my wife's car and shes let the insurance lapse somehow, so we've renewed it now but alas, too late to bring them in. She's Thai, so will have to let her sort it with the police and scooterer. Good to hear a positive story, my experience with the BiB has been mixed bag from great to awful. 

Isn’t there some level of cover from the mandatory insurance you need when you renew your tax disc ? Just a thought.

17 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I really dont know why they do it as it also puts them at more risk by ending up on the wrong side of the road after the U turn and needing to cut back over to the left. On my motorbike I always keep to the left of vehicles waiting at U turns and can go to the front of any queue, then when clear I can safely sweep around well clear of them to the left hand side of the road where a motorbike needs to be....and also get ahead of them.

I think it is rather more dangerous to make a u-turn over 3 lanes to end up on the left side than to turn into the very right lane and then change to the left together with the traffic flow. 

Should you overlook an oncoming vehicle while sweeping over 3 lanes you have not much of a chance. In my opinion, it is safer to accelerate as soon as possible up to the speed of the traffic flow in the right lane while taking as little as possible exposure to the oncoming traffic.

Edited by Mak25

To everyone that includes the police as already noted regardless of the law when driving in Thailand keep your eyes open don't insist on the right of way.

The law Thailand written in 1960's again 1990's many don't know it including majority of police! It is done 24/7 doesn't make it right nor because this is Thailand. I've been a witness and had to explain to police themselves in 2 cases for friend after case close doesn't mean will collect.

" Under or overtaking is against the law 300 M from an intersection that includes U "

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, 2long said:

You need eyes everywhere on the roads here. Right, left, right, forwards, behind and right again!

It's not the scooter rider's fault that you choose left only for your own safety.

You forgot up and down, they appear to come from nowhere and everywhere.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, sanuk711 said:

Roundabouts are my Favorite in Thailand.....................:w00t:

According to my wife who has been driving in Bangkok for many years, and my translation, the ‘rules’ for roundabouts are as follows:

From the 1st of the month to 15th of the month you have priority coming onto the roundabout.

From the 16th to 31st (end) of the month you have priority when on the roundabout.

Odd months mók-gà-raa kom, mee-naa kom etc Both parties have equal priority.

Even months gum-paa pan, préut-sà-paa kom etc. No one has priority.

Bikes have rules of their own which she’s not too clear of.

Ambulances and emergency never have any priority.

If it’s raining all the rules are inversed.

Under certain circumstances you may if directed or are in a hurry, traverse the roundabout in an anti-clockwise direction.

• Haha 2

On 8/11/2020 at 6:49 AM, BritManToo said:

Which is odd as you can't buy tax without a new insurance.

Although road tax and insurance typically start pretty close to the vehicle's purchase date, it's not unusual to have different renewal dates for tax and insurance where the insurance expires some time during the tax year. Another instance can be if someone is paying the insurance in monthly installments and they default on payments whereupon the insurance is canceled.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:01 AM, Mak25 said:

I think it is rather more dangerous to make a u-turn over 3 lanes to end up on the left side than to turn into the very right lane and then change to the left together with the traffic flow. 

Should you overlook an oncoming vehicle while sweeping over 3 lanes you have not much of a chance. In my opinion, it is safer to accelerate as soon as possible up to the speed of the traffic flow in the right lane while taking as little as possible exposure to the oncoming traffic.

U might be right if u have 3 lanes full of fast moving traffic with few gaps to pull out, but where I stay in Thailand it is never that busy and large gaps in the traffic open up frequently. I think that I would avoid such busy U turns and stick to those controlled by traffic lights.

My wife makes u-turns excruciatingly slowly, looking only to the left.  It used to drive me nuts, until I realized that she was doing it so that a motorbike or scooter passing to the right of her would always have time to stop or swerve to avoid her. 

It still drives me nuts, but I don't say anything now, and I may even be starting to imitate her.

16 hours ago, mike787 said:

All the time.  Nothing I can do, only accept this is life in LOS. Welcome to the kingdom. Enjoy your time here.  No other option. 

Well at least you will know now that the law will be on your side if there is a problem in this situation. Though the BiB may not be if you are farang... 

• Like 1