Oversupply of condos in BKK yet ridiculous prices

25 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

At the same time I see some ridiculous advertisements for 40 sqm shoeboxes on sale for as much as 200k/sqm!

200k?  You’re not looking hard enough.  

How about the ones pushing (and even going over) 400k/sqm?

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/khun-by-yoo-inspired-by-starck-ohscis

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/the-esse-sukhumvit-36-hdefer

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/the-xxxix-by-sansiri-fgpkzx

I can’t figure it out either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Airalee said:

200k?  You’re not looking hard enough.  

How about the ones pushing (and even going over) 400k/sqm?

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/khun-by-yoo-inspired-by-starck-ohscis

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/the-esse-sukhumvit-36-hdefer

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/the-xxxix-by-sansiri-fgpkzx

I can’t figure it out either.

Briefly looking at your examples, I saw a few at 13M for 40sqm... 417k USD for a shoebox. 

The one I referred to in the first post is actually not 180sqm for 45M, but 280sqm for 45M:

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/projects/park-court-sukhumvit-77-hwimtg

Still pushing 172k/sqm... 45M baht = 1.44 million USD. For a low rise condo in Onnut!

Mind boggling

7 hours ago, dddave said:

In Thailand, even Bangkok, carrying costs for vacant condo units are almost nil.  Why would an owner/developer significantly drop the price of a unit in response to what is probably a relatively short term economic downturn.  Successful property investors are usually in it for the long haul and at some point, the market will heat up again.

For the entirety of my 18+ years here, skeptics have annually predicted the total collapse of the local condo market(overbuilt, shoddy construction, poor design, over-priced) and for the better part of those 18 years, it has chugged right along. 

Yes, the annual, “The Bangkok real estate market is due for a crash based on my metrics” post.  

In this country a consumer research for possible markets for newly built condos and housing is a dirty word, when i developer decide to build they build, the motto is "If we build it it they will come" just look at Pattaya, the place is awashed with thousands of empty properties and the still build mammoth condos, for whom i ask?...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

In my condo supply is up and rental prices are down around 30%.  I have never seen a drop like this.

In my condo, supply is definitely up too, but most owners are still asking over the top prices for sale and rent.  Those units just sit.  One potential reason for high sales prices could be that as prices quickly rose, people did cash out refinancing and now have mortgage balances that are above the true market price...so...they are stuck.  Or they originally took on a Negatively Amortizing mortgage at 110% LTV and once again, instead of the principal owed going down, it has been going up for years.  I suspect a lot of people have underwater loans.

Then there are the hard money loans that some of the foreign investors took out to buy real estate here.  With the strengthening of the baht in recent years, they have compounded issues.

On the flipside, there are people like my landlord who lost half of his renters, but by lowering his rents by 20% now has all his units filled again.

“People go mad in Herds, they come to their senses one at a time” 

-Dr Eugene Mallove

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dddave said:

In Thailand, even Bangkok, carrying costs for vacant condo units are almost nil.  Why would an owner/developer significantly drop the price of a unit in response to what is probably a relatively short term economic downturn.  Successful property investors are usually in it for the long haul and at some point, the market will heat up again.

For the entirety of my 18+ years here, skeptics have annually predicted the total collapse of the local condo market(overbuilt, shoddy construction, poor design, over-priced) and for the better part of those 18 years, it has chugged right along. 

Many developers are lowering their prices substantially and undercutting the resale market.  The developers have a much larger margin to work with so it’s quite easy for them to get rid of remaining stock and move on to the next development.   There are much better deals out there currently than there were 2-3 years ago,

9 hours ago, dddave said:

Fair point, hence why I said it has been predicted at least since 2017 here, but two remarks:

1) just because it hasn’t happened in 18 years doesn’t mean it won’t happen, these things take time to build up, and then need a spark to explode. I wasn’t around, but judging from other people’s tales it definitely happened in 1997.

2) in my condo hunt it was evident that most Thais don’t like living in older condos, and they degrade very quickly here, possibly due to weather and bad materials. This leads to massive price reductions for second hand buyers.

Following up on these, at some point in this chain someone has to lose money, either the developer, the buyer or the bank, and these losses accumulate over time across the market.

Of course it’s also possible there is no spark, the market deflates slowly, a lot of people lose money but there’s no widespread panic or losses rippling through the financial system.

I am not disagreeing with you. In the end the famous phrase “the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent” applies, but I guess it’s more like “the market can remain irrational longer than you are prepared to wait for a crash and a subsequent good deal”.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

Here is another data point. Until the start of 2015 prices for houses and condos were rising in tandem and appropriately when taking into account inflation.

But these have accelerated massively since then, and rents have not followed suit. The reason for this difference is obvious, foreigners can buy condos but not houses.

The big question is - Is this sustainable? 

image.jpeg

Remember.....those price indexes (similar to Case Shiller) are just aggregated values that don’t take into account the mix.  The condos selling at the peak are much nicer condos....meaning...you get a lot more for your money.

I think there is definitely a miss-match between the current economic events and the prices as advertised.

The key words are 'as advertised'.....there is still a desperation to hang on to the price the owners feel they should be getting, so they continue to advertise at that price.......dig a little deeper and maybe the stat's on actually selling price will show a different story. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

Here is another data point. Until the start of 2015 prices for houses and condos were rising in tandem and appropriately when taking into account inflation.

But these have accelerated massively since then, and rents have not followed suit. The reason for this difference is obvious, foreigners can buy condos but not houses.

image.jpeg

Interesting graphic. However since foreigners could not buy houses before 2015 perhaps the divergence is caused by the massive oversupply of condos due to the building boom rather than ownership discrimination.

16 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Interesting graphic. However since foreigners could not buy houses before 2015 perhaps the divergence is caused by the massive oversupply of condos due to the building boom rather than ownership discrimination.

My theory is that it accelerated in 2015 because that's when the Chinese boom really started.

But what is going to happen when the Chinese buyers realise they'll be taking massive losses on their "investments"?

6 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

My theory is that it accelerated in 2015 because that's when the Chinese boom really started.

But what is going to happen when the Chinese buyers realise they'll be taking massive losses on their "investments"?

Agree....and on paper they must be looking at massive losses already. I cannot see them viewing Thailand as a good bet anymore.....there must be a great deal of anxiety and a desire to cut and run.....prices could collapse in six months time if they see international travel is going to be severely limited.

I just rented a very nice condo heart of Bangkok...advertised price 26k pm.....got it down to 17k pm......landlord also asked me to sign for two years.

14 rooms on our floor only two other rooms occupied. 

1 hour ago, Barnabe said:

image.jpeg

When prices for condos go up while rents for the same units do not, it's a bubble.  Reminds me of the US housing market from 2000 to 2007.

• Like 1