Thailand to allow entry of 3000 teachers (not verified yet!)

The Latest: Thailand to allow entry of 3K foreign teachers

By The Associated Press
https://www.nwitimes.com/news/national/the-latest-thailand-to-allow-entry-of-3k-foreign-teachers/article_a787c912-21b0-5da3-90c8-841fc7261de2.html

Aug 10, 2020 Updated 4 min ago

BANGKOK — Thailand is making plans to allow at least 3,000 foreign teachers to enter the country, even as it continues to keep out tourists and tightly restricts other arrivals to guard against new coronavirus infections.

Attapon Truektrong, secretary-general of the Private Education Commission, said Monday that those who have registered include teachers returning to their jobs after leaving during the pandemic, as well as newly employed teachers.

The teachers, who come from countries including the Philippines, New Zealand, the United States and Britain, will have to be quarantined for 14 days after arrival. Thailand barred scheduled passenger flights from abroad in early April

Thailand hosts many international schools and there is a general shortage of qualified teachers of English and other non-Thai languages.

Edited by Raphus
Website

Being allowed to enter is great news for this group of foreigners, I am sure. Making sure all processes are co-ordinated to enable this to happen is where the story starts to derail. From not enough flights and not enough ASQs to ( feel free to add to the list) it is really a struggle to complete the process. Until this is running smoothly, things will remain grim for expectant returnees.   

Seems a strange priority to me to let in Filipinos (who aren't even native speakers) to work for private schools, some of whom have never been to Thailand, ahead of people such as retirees and unmarried partners (including gay) who have lived in this country for years.

Perhaps this is another case of money talking, and there's more profit to be made by certain influential individuals from these teachers than from retirees.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps this is another case of money talking, and there's more profit to be made by certain influential individuals from these teachers than from retirees.

Funny, I was thinking to myself when I saw this news, "why do they seem to acknowledge that they have a shortage of teachers and suggest that getting teachers into the country is a positive thing for Thai children, while also doing nothing to help the prospective teachers that are here on amnesty and unable to transfer to work visas, making it likely that they will have to leave the country and probably never come back?"  Then I thought about the 3,000 quarantine fees at a minimum of 30,000 baht, or 90,000,000 baht.