Cooking ‘chicken-in-a-pit’ a recipe for 2 years in jail, warns animal rights group

webfact

Cooking ‘chicken-in-a-pit’ a recipe for 2 years in jail, warns animal rights group

By THE NATION

800_4b29fc23b55539b.jpg?v=1597065869

Animal rights group Watchdog Thailand (WDT) warned today it will prosecute anyone caught preparing “kai loom” or chicken in a pit, after the dish went viral online.

YouTube channel “Mom Tanad Dak” started the craze with its latest episode devoted to “unusual recipes”.

The episode shows a chicken buried alive, leaving only its head above ground. The chicken is then fed only coconut milk for two weeks before it is dug out to reveal an animal left featherless by the ordeal. The bird is then killed and grilled for what the show’s presenter says is its delicious featherless, coconut milk-fed flesh.

Netizens responded to the video with disgust, attacking both the channel and the cook in comments below the video and elsewhere on social media. The channel’s owner eventually decided to delete the kai loom clip and offered an apology for introducing his audience to the cruel method of preparation.

However, the WDT said it had already asked Ladprao police station to prosecute those involved in the video.

The watchdog said it had previously brought people to justice in a similar case of animal cruelty involving the dish kai kati (chicken and coconut milk).

WDT said this latest clip post was an obvious case of animal abuse, and torturing animals in this way before eating them was illegal under Department of Livestock Development laws for slaughterhouses.

Under the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act, BE 2557 (2014), torturing animals is punishable by up to two years in prison and/or a Bt40,000 fine.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/3039276

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-11

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The episode shows a chicken buried alive, leaving only its head above ground. The chicken is then fed only coconut milk for two weeks before it is dug out to reveal an animal left featherless by the ordeal. The bird is then killed and grilled for what the show’s presenter says is its delicious featherless, coconut milk-fed flesh.

I bet that clip gets taken down faster than a pair of drawers in Soi Buakhao

Wait until they find out how Pate de Fois Gras is raised!

Traditionally, a goose is kept in close confinement - in the old days it was tied by the leg to a corner in the kitchen so that it did not take any exercise. It was then force-fed hig-calorific food through a funnel at regular intervals. This would cause the liver to become enlarged and fat. Over time, the bird would become somewhat immobile.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

How much Thai do you read? If you know any at all, you know the first letter of the Thai alphabet is ก.ไก่ (kaw kai). The word means chicken. It's on the cover of most first readers for children. Transliterating Thai is inaccurate at best, but this letter is usually is transliterated with K. To me, it sounds more like a hard G, but unvoiced and unaspirated. The 2nd letter is ข.ไข (khaw khai), the one you seem to be referring to. The word means egg. It's more commonly transliterated as kh. The H indicares that it's aspirated, that is, it's got breath behind it. Both words are short (eye) vowel sound, low tones, the only difference being the consonants. They're often confused if you don't read Thai. I've been reading Thai for 43 years. I have never met any westerner who speaks Thai well who doesn't also read it. 

Not trying to be mean here, but if you only meant it as a little joke, you bombed. 

Yep, you are the man! I know nothing after almost 23 years here. ????

Anyway, like you mentioned with that it´s sound like a G. Yeah, darn man! You´re spot on!

Like they say Kai Gai. Mean egg from chicken, right? Or do you hear them speak Kai Kai? ????

Wonder who´s bombed now?

And, yes. It was not meant to be much serious. Guess it´s just you that needed to get your error invaded ego-trip.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

If they really wanted to do some good they'd have a look at the hell holes that are the intensive rearing chicken sheds here. Never seen such appalling treatment of thousands of birds kept in disgusting conditions.

reminds me of a time in Mexico when my visitors drunk lady friend was crying over the cruelty she witnessed attending a cock fight  - I said she must get right hysterical waiting in line for a bucket at KFC considering the way poultry is housed prior to slaughter..

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

A bit like the USA, then.

Actually the USA and UK are worse. 

Here the chickens are kept at lower densities and less birds to a cage..so they have more room.

They do this not for animals welfare but because here it's too hot to keep them close together without then dying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Like they say Kai Gai. Mean egg from chicken, right? Or do you hear them speak Kai Kai? ????

The former, if I have to choose. But I avoid spelling Thai with the wrong alphabet, so I'll stick with ไข่ไก่.

Edited by LawrenceN
Clarification

25 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

The former, if I have to choose. But I avoid spelling Thai with the wrong alphabet, so I'll stick with ไข่ไก่.

Ok, mean I was right in all simplicity, then. However, feel free to stick to your formula. ???? 

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The girls used to fight over my cock before I buried it.....?...

Seriously? Not in a chicken, I hope. Peter, now I am starting to worry about you. ????

14 hours ago, webfact said:

While I agree it's not good to make the animal suffer like that, does it mean the animal rights group will also be prosecuting anyone caught cooking live lobsters and other seafood too?