Transcript of the conversation seeking ฿5m kickback from Ground Water Resources Department

webfact

Mr. Ruangkrai Likitwattana, a member of the House Budget Scrutiny Committee, said he disagrees with the committee itself investigating the subcommittee, fearing that it will just be a whitewash.

Unfortunately he is probably right....

Even on tape or video, the perpetrator gets away if he has influence or money. TiT....

if-anyone-asks-it-wasnt-me.jpg

7 hours ago, webfact said:

MP: “If no, the 1.2 billion baht for artesian well projects in the Northeast will be cut.”

Sakda: “No!”

MP: “Then just 5.”

Sakda: “5% of 1.2 billion is 60 million baht”

MP: “No. It means 5 million baht.”

Sakda: “Where can I get the money?”

MP: “From the contractors!”

Similar to hundreds of conversations made on a daily basis.

Where do people come up with the idea that it is a kickback, that is a disgusting term, it's been royalties for decades years and it sounds better, kickbacks is low-so, get with the program.

All jokes aside, would love to see this clown go to jail, sure they have kickbacks there.

6 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Disgusting. The MP should be put in prison immediately for breach of duty. Doesn't he know that a 5 million baht bribe is far too low for a budget of this size? 

Maybe the new Benz the MP is possibly eyeing/dreaming about only costs a little under Bt5M....therefore, Bt5M is fine....don't want to be corrupted "and greedy."

Kick back, bribe, royalties, whatever.

In USA it is campaign contributions.  Donate to the politician of your choice and he will do your bidding.  Those political action committees are not collecting and passing around millions for good will.......

It should be easy to show that many politicians and many people in the government and administration and police and military are a lot richer than they could possibly be from their official income.

But who is going to investigate them? And who will convict them? And who will make sure they go to jail and stay in jail.

After all, TiT.

• Like 1

Thai MP's are a joke, only in for the money. Certainly not to best represent the people that voted them into office. It's farcical how MP's can just jump ship to another party (no doubt as a result of a financial inducement), and still retain their seat. 

I know of one business that had all the required approvals to open a new mine but the high so in Bangkok wanted 2 million baht to do the final approval so it never happened, this happens all the time so its not new, Thailand thrives on corruption and bribes thats why so many want govt jobs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fangless said:

I think you should omit the word "Thai" in the above and just say "Just another day at the office for an MP" (or any politician actually)

Yes, I agree. But as the OP was about a Thai MP in Thailand and we are on a Thai discussion board then I thought it appropriate to use the word "Thai" ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddy Ozark said:

I heard that the kickbacks in road construction are 30 to 40 percent. And using inferior materials the roads do not last, and have to be redone on a regular basis. Have no proof, though. But it appears there is no official institutes of quality control on government projects, at least no independent ones.

Yep, anything to do with transport generates some serious amounts of dosh for those in positions to influence decision making.

This was an (in)famous case of a few years back where a permanent secretary for transport was caught out when his house was burgled and cash taken. At the  time I recall there were reports of amounts far greater than the Bt17.5m being stored in the house. 

Interesting that he received a 10 month sentence for 'failing to declare his full assets'. But no indication that he was investigated over the source of these funds. Presumably the likely excess over the undeclared  Bt17.5m funds were used to limit the charges and, in the process, give others the opportunity of a nice little earner. Was ever thus..............

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1004280-ex-permanent-secretary-for-transport-jailed-for-10-months/

1 hour ago, Eddy Ozark said:

I heard that the kickbacks in road construction are 30 to 40 percent. And using inferior materials the roads do not last, and have to be redone on a regular basis. Have no proof, though. But it appears there is no official institutes of quality control on government projects, at least no independent ones.

Ive always thought the Thai are good at road building and pretty prompt here in Phuket. Ive seen contractors watch QC core samples taken of the  laid ashphalt for depth and mix quality by gov investigators and they said they get fined if under spec.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fangless said:

I think you should omit the word "Thai" in the above and just say "Just another day at the office for an MP" (or any politician actually)

Some great whataboutery there.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I know but those in power are those that don't want this to happen as it basically means that they cut their on income. So change has to come from outside. However those outside (in general) also don't want change they just want a their chance to get rich. Think Thaksin and now Prayut. With groups like this there is no chance. 

Like i said i thought future forward could have changed things. Hopefully they protect themselves better in the next election. But its hard to fight B.S. charges. 

But, but... Thaksin.

You cheer-led this military regime into power on the premise they would be less corrupt than Thaksin and would clean things up.

Those of us that knew better told you that an authoritarian regime would not have any checks and balances and thus be less accountable and more corrupt than an elected one.

Looking a bit foolish now bud.

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Ive always thought the Thai are good at road building and pretty prompt here in Phuket. Ive seen contractors watch QC core samples taken of the  laid ashphalt for depth and mix quality by gov investigators and they said they get fined if under spec.

How much are the local Govt. inspectors paid to fake the reports though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Kick back, bribe, royalties, whatever.

In USA it is campaign contributions.  Donate to the politician of your choice and he will do your bidding.  Those political action committees are not collecting and passing around millions for good will.......

Best discussed on www.usavisa.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Agreed on the roads. If only the Thais could surface airport runways to the same standard. Shocking bouncing and uneven surfaces; Suvarnabhumi, Chiang Mai and Nakhon Si Thammarat are three that I have had scary landings on numerous times. I heard particulary that NST was done on the cheap as the contractor had to pay kick-backs to secure contract (my ex was from Nakhon Si Thammarat).