Department of Land Transport Will Not Revoke Permanent Driving Licenses

webfact

2 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Must have some magic in their pocket to pull that task off.  In other words nothing is going to change but said nicely. 

A license does not have to expire to not be valid, depends on the regulations.

A US ATP (airline transport pilot certificate) never expires. But it is not valid for use unless you have at a minimuma proficiency check every 6 months as well as 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days, a current Medical certificate as well as other requirements.

Update the Thai relevant regulations to ensure drivers are fit to drive and safe. Stop the carnage.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Our little moo baan has about 20 homes. Our neighbors race through it like they are on the expressway. 

I've explained to them that wherever they are going to, or coming from, the time they make up by flying through our hood will make about as much difference as a spit in the ocean. Of course it doesn't register ... 

Same in my moobaan.

When they renewed the sewer pipes and put  tarmac i asked the head of the moobaan to put a speed bump on the road and they did.

Never understand why they need to go full throttle only to go to a full stop 50 meters ahead of them , and its 2 families living opposite of eachother with 4 cars.

Even their visitors do the same Freaking Hillbillies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Our little moo baan has about 20 homes. Our neighbors race through it like they are on the expressway. 

I've explained to them that wherever they are going to, or coming from, the time they make up by flying through our hood will make about as much difference as a spit in the ocean. Of course it doesn't register ... 

Sneak out in the middle of the night with a bag of tarmac

So perhaps they will require medical certificates to be sent in after a certain age like in the UK.  I am glad they are not planning to revoke the all of life licenses as I got one 20 years back not long before they amended the law that resulted in 5 years being the maximum validity of a license.  I didn't need to take a driving test for the lifetime driving license. I just showed my UK driving license in the first instance and got a 1 year license, then a 3 year license and then was eligible for the lifetime one but it was only given to foreigners with PR. There weren't any 5 year licenses in those days.

Since they stopped issuing lifetime licenses in about 2003 all the holders of lifetime car licenses must be over 39 years old as you needed to be 18 to get your first license and then needed to hold licenses for at least 4 years to apply. But many people didn't apply for the lifetime license because the fee was a lot higher than for the 3 year ones.

I am not sure if proper medical checks are required for renewal of the 5 year licenses.  That might be a good place for them to start.

I recently renewed my 5-year car and motorbike in Pattaya. On the way, the weather turned severe, and the power went out just as we arrived. Power came back on 45 minutes later, but because they were so far behind, all we were required to do was watch the movie. None of the other depth perception, brake pedal reaction, etc. They'll never take it seriously so we needn't either. BTW, I hired an agent and it was WELL worth the expense. The line just to make an appointment was all the way around the building, we got head of the line privilege. She did all the paperwork and picked me up/dropped me off at my condo. PM me if you would like her contact info.

DLT will stick to natural selection on the roads!

Little slow, little inefficient...but the best way to safe face of Somchai, who bribed his way 40 yrs ago to a "lifetime license" the first place, and wouldn't be able to pass a test then or now.