Escape Plan from USA Dumpster Fire....The Purge

ChakaKhan

Well I know the Thai "return day" topics are all the rage these days, and can bring in the replies, I'm not finding them realistic, with the ever changing daily thai news from the boys in charge. Note that I foolishly thought my home country would keep me safe when I stepped on the plane in BKK to come home with the Stable Genius closing the border to Europe, adding fuel to the fire, and having my original flight cancelled. I unknowingly left LOS in mid march, touching down state side right as the fuse was lit. That being said, and a whole separate topic in itself, I'm planning my escape, sadly seems it wont be LOS far awhile. (sob)

I started my search and am trying to jump thru a window before this "second wave" or the upcoming flu season, to make a disaster even worse, if possible.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-for-american-tourists/

I found this site, among others, but this one seems pretty good with updates and info.....So that being said, have a peek and feel free to reply with any ideas if you have been to any of these places. Keeping in mind I go to LOS cos it cheap..has always been my reason, as it would be in finding an alternate choice here.

Just glancing thru it I am curious about Mexico...met a few that have been to Turkey, and still never been to Cambodia but that $3000-2000....thats alot imo

Any info or suggestions are appreciated as I dont see anything here getting better until next january, its only getting worse, and Im ready to <deleted> here asap

What would be your pick, kinda like LOS, or similar in cost, as the job I came back home to work, got cancelled, so the whole trip back was a mistake in itself

Hope to find a place to law low where I can have somewhat of a life without all the current chaos and pray to Buddha that LOS will open the gates up again.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

With the rich reportedly deserting NY in droves due to riots, violence, rapes and demand for police cuts, NY may well become even cheaper soon 

Where are they relocating to?

I know in the UK, interest in more rural areas has increased during the pandemic.

Largely due to better internet connections and the realisation that they don't have

to physically go to the office anymore as most work these days can be done online

and meetings by zoom.

Many office based companies may well find WFH abetter, more viable option, not having

to pay rent or subsidize commuting costs etc.

Of course they are also escaping from all the ghastly things that you mentioned.

I can completely understand that you wish to be back in Thailand as asap, but there are some other things that confuses me. One of those is that you mention you went home for a work. As far as I know, people just go that far if they need the work and the money. Sure, I might be wrong, it happens. That got cancelled and now you want to travel around the world instead. Yeah, I must most definitely be wrong!

However, I wish you all the luck in the world getting to all places that you might be interested in and off course back to LOS as soon as possible.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, shy coconut said:

Where are they relocating to?

I know in the UK, interest in more rural areas has increased during the pandemic.

Same Same. Heading to the country house. And if they don't have one they are renting/buying one. Too many places near NYC to highlight one. The neighbor I grew up with on the west coast spent 36 years working in the big apple, now retired, living upriver on the  Hudson. He e mailed  ... In the last 5 months their podunk town has become a hot property for NYC refugees. but likely all of New England has too

------------------------------------------------

Didn't Greece open up? Cold winters though, means you will have to get farther south. Crete, Karpathos, Rhodes? Kastellorizo only if you like remote. Across the ocean, standbys are Oaxaca mexico, down on the pacific coast from there. Avoid gulf of Tehuantepec!  Guatemala, Lake Atitlan or Antigua. I have no idea if Guatemala is open and what the situation with wuhan 19 is, but always liked it. On my short list, pre pandemic. Hope it works out. Here in Thailand, it has finally dawned on us steelheads, likely will not get out until, july 2021, or later. From lockdown to a country wide quarantine. uhhhh, It could be worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooops, sorry, just went through your list and one other. It's looking grim  ????

Greece is open, to EU passport holders, canadian etc, but not US.

Guatemala has banned US flights, but was taking about opening next month. Then Trump publicly yelled at them on unrelated issue.  That likely is toast now.

----------------------------------------

Moving on for US although transport is difficult and tests required.

-------------------------------------------------------

Barbados. If you have the money, they have the rhum.

Turkey, head to Kas, right across from Kastellorizo island Greece. Ferry over to Northern Cyprus (?) 

Ecuador - Good read, restrictions, test yes, but US had been allowed in. Now a volcano eruption has led to evacuate advice form US embassy. but only part of the country, Maybe this is the time to sneak in and get an apartment in Quito. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dumpster Fire News

Given Trumps handling of the pandemic, this excrement show is only going to get worse short term. The 'back to school' order is already a disaster. I expect college football season to be officially cancelled this week. 50/50 if the NFL follows.

Dumpster Fire burns until November, then some hope but dark say for two more months. Fly to Cuba via Mexico ? up2U

Good Luck and Godspeed.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With the rich reportedly deserting NY in droves due to riots, violence, rapes and demand for police cuts, NY may well become even cheaper soon 

Trying to get out from the Trump Dumpster fire..not deeper into it...and I dont drink mountain dew..or meth

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Funny, If it wasn’t for the birth of my daughter and China Virus problems I would have already taken my family back to the states. 

Careful what you wish for my friend. 

Happy to trade seats with you...

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Same Same. Heading to the country house. And if they don't have one they are renting/buying one. Too many places near NYC to highlight one. The neighbor I grew up with on the west coast spent 36 years working in the big apple, now retired, living upriver on the  Hudson. He e mailed  ... In the last 5 months their podunk town has become a hot property for NYC refugees. but likely all of New England has too

------------------------------------------------

Didn't Greece open up? Cold winters though, means you will have to get farther south. Crete, Karpathos, Rhodes? Kastellorizo only if you like remote. Across the ocean, standbys are Oaxaca mexico, down on the pacific coast from there. Avoid gulf of Tehuantepec!  Guatemala, Lake Atitlan or Antigua. I have no idea if Guatemala is open and what the situation with wuhan 19 is, but always liked it. On my short list, pre pandemic. Hope it works out. Here in Thailand, it has finally dawned on us steelheads, likely will not get out until, july 2021, or later. From lockdown to a country wide quarantine. uhhhh, It could be worse.

Im down with remote as long as its the same cost as LOS or less and can access wifi to stay on TV forums!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Ooops, sorry, just went through your list and one other. It's looking grim  ????

Greece is open, to EU passport holders, canadian etc, but not US.

Guatemala has banned US flights, but was taking about opening next month. Then Trump publicly yelled at them on unrelated issue.  That likely is toast now.

----------------------------------------

Moving on for US although transport is difficult and tests required.

-------------------------------------------------------

Barbados. If you have the money, they have the rhum.

Turkey, head to Kas, right across from Kastellorizo island Greece. Ferry over to Northern Cyprus (?) 

Ecuador - Good read, restrictions, test yes, but US had been allowed in. Now a volcano eruption has led to evacuate advice form US embassy. but only part of the country, Maybe this is the time to sneak in and get an apartment in Quito. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dumpster Fire News

Given Trumps handling of the pandemic, this excrement show is only going to get worse short term. The 'back to school' order is already a disaster. I expect college football season to be officially cancelled this week. 50/50 if the NFL follows.

Dumpster Fire burns until November, then some hope but dark say for two more months. Fly to Cuba via Mexico ? up2U

Good Luck and Godspeed.

My first trip abroad was machi picchu --so went to peru and quito for galapagos......Id try that or turkey and even greece....just wanting the cheapest, and least restrictions...I can supply a test prior to flying as well

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm certainly glad I came to Thailand when I did. Then my mom got out of her failed marriage, also escaping our overpriced, failed home state, and got a nice, cheap place out in the midwest. The price on them has just about doubled since.

The plan now is to spend the next 5-10 years in the LOS, then go join mom when she's too old to live by herself, with my Thai wife.

Thailand's a good place to score a good chick, wait out the current American crisis until things hopefully get better, then return across bridges which you've hopefully kept intact. I would not recommend Thailand for any indefinite stay or investment. While they certainly love the money, the government and many others here have proven time and again, they really don't want us here.

Ive been coming there yearly since 2008. Im regretting leaving mid march when my visa expired--hindsight

I usually do 4 months, but had I know this mess would occur here I would have just camped out over there, as I had a job lined up and a place and as soon as I landed the fuse was lit on this current dumpster fire

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Who would want to go to Mexico with the high crime rate there?

If I were back in the USA I would get me a remote cabin somewhere off the grid in the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains. Preferably with nearby rivers/lakes to fish on.

Happy to investigate if you got any leads.....im on east coast..right next to the Stable Genius  ????

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Who would want to go to Mexico with the high crime rate there?

If I were back in the USA I would get me a remote cabin somewhere off the grid in the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains. Preferably with nearby rivers/lakes to fish on.

and an ice fishing rig for October thru April ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If you have no job, and cannot afford the 2 grand for Cambodia, how can you plan to go and live anywhere?

I have savings as I live below my means, and earning USD and then spending it like a local in LOS tends to stretch it out.....Id consider the 2000 but that amount in the hands of others just spooks me a bit....anyone had any exps with this and that it is legit and worth it.....seems like the closest option to wait out LOS

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Ive always considered it but Ive had a double hernia surgery, I did used to work on a schooner in Maine

Im trying to get OUT of the US...there is nothing  good here until this mess is under control...in my opinion

A friend of mine left Thailand in February to stay back in the US....he regrets his decision every day and is now searching for anywhere he can land to wait out the Thailand closure somewhere other than America. I was planning my regular two year visit for O-A visa in October....now...just wait it out here...maybe another 2 years before I go back

• Like 1