Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Morikawa faces major expectations after PGA Championship win

Recommended Posts

Morikawa faces major expectations after PGA Championship win

By Frank Pingue

 

2020-08-10T152533Z_1_LYNXNPEG79180_RTROPTP_3_GOLF.JPG

Aug 9, 2020; San Francisco, California, USA; Collin Morikawa poses with the Wanamaker Trophy after winning the 2020 PGA Championship golf tournament at TPC Harding Park. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

 

(Reuters) - Collin Morikawa displayed nerves of steel in the final round of the PGA Championship on Sunday where the young American fended off a slew of big names to grab his first major and ensure he will no longer fly under the radar.

 

In only his second career major start, the 23-year-old Morikawa was a model of precision at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco where he finally pulled away from a tight leaderboard with a remarkable drive that set up a late eagle.

 

"In the strokes-gained era, this is the first time a player has ever led in fairways hit, proximity to the hole and strokes-gained putting," said Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee.

 

"You put all that together and it's just not fair that somebody after 29 events on the PGA Tour has all of those skills and has their whole career in front of them."

 

Morikawa, who last month picked up his second career PGA Tour win, was not on anyone's radar at the year's first major until firing a 65 in the third round that left him two shots back of the leader.

 

In the final round he delivered the drive of his life at the par-four 16th which led to an eagle that all but clinched the Wanamaker Trophy and cemented his place among the cast of young standouts in the golfing world.

 

"There's a maturity there that at 23, it shouldn't exist," former British Open champion Justin Leonard said of Morikawa. "The skillset that he has is a little different than what we see in a modern young player."

 

PGA Championship runner-up Paul Casey, who finished two shots back, praised Morikawa's maturity and said the previously unheralded American will remain a force.

 

"There's always a lot of -- there's always kind of a new wave," English Ryder Cup veteran Casey said.

 

"There's always a bunch of guys that rock up on the scene, and he didn't necessarily get the most publicity out of the group he was in, but you know, I can consider myself veteran; I've been around the block, so I know talent when I see it."

 

Morikawa, who was 65th in the rankings at the end of 2019, shot up seven places to world number five after his win, is eager to relish the spotlight and anything but complacent after the biggest win of his career.

 

"When I woke up (on Sunday), I was like, this is meant to be. This is where I feel very comfortable. This is where I want to be, and I'm not scared from it," said Morikawa.

 

"I think if I was scared from it, the last few holes would have been a little different, but you want to be in this position.

 

"It doesn't stop here. I've got a very good taste of what this is like, what a major championship is like."

 

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-11
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid is great! Watched him lose in a playoff earlier in the season...only to come back and win the following week. Then he goes on to win The PGA. The problem is...great players are flashes in the pan nowadays. They're impressive for a year or two and that's it. Never gonna be another Nicklaus or Woods. These "young guns" today don't have the focus...the drive...the determination. Look at McIlroy, Spieth, Johnson, Day and even Mickelson, Rose, Thomas...all great players, but not dominant like Jack or Woods. I hope Morikawa has what it takes, but HIGHLY doubtful. I'll be cheering for him! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

The kid is great! Watched him lose in a playoff earlier in the season...only to come back and win the following week. Then he goes on to win The PGA. The problem is...great players are flashes in the pan nowadays. They're impressive for a year or two and that's it. Never gonna be another Nicklaus or Woods. These "young guns" today don't have the focus...the drive...the determination. Look at McIlroy, Spieth, Johnson, Day and even Mickelson, Rose, Thomas...all great players, but not dominant like Jack or Woods. I hope Morikawa has what it takes, but HIGHLY doubtful. I'll be cheering for him! :thumbsup:

You have a point.  Golf is a finicky game.  To be as dominant as Jack and Tiger were in their days, one really has to be obsessed with golf (and have the requisite talent).  Huge purses, new technologies, and too many distractions.  The field is also getting deeper all the time.  Morikawa certainly has game.  But will he be more like a Zach Johnson or T. Woods?  The odds are the former.  I will say that Morikawa has a totally hot GF. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You have a point.  Golf is a finicky game.  To be as dominant as Jack and Tiger were in their days, one really has to be obsessed with golf (and have the requisite talent).  Huge purses, new technologies, and too many distractions.  The field is also getting deeper all the time.  Morikawa certainly has game.  But will he be more like a Zach Johnson or T. Woods?  The odds are the former.  I will say that Morikawa has a totally hot GF. 

Only saw her with mask on, but what I saw was all good! :vampire:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Only saw her with mask on, but what I saw was all good! :vampire:

Katherine Zhu.  She's a collegiate golfer.

 

Meet PGA Championship winner Collin Morikawa's stunning girlfriend ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...