Speed Camera on Hwy 23 Between Ubon and Yasothon

SantiSuk

For info. Recently I received by mail a 500baht ticket from a speed camera (doing 102kph) on the southbound carriageway of Hwy 23 at kilometer 196.

A quick check on Google Earth places that km marker about 18km south of Yasothon town, with villages of Ban Phon Than and Ban Dong to the West and East of the highway in the vicinity.

• Haha 1

There are always guy in bush if nice weather. Not in early morning, not in lunch time(they meet lunch mistress) , not late afternoon and specialy not if rain! But they inform that whit traffic sign where they messure speed! So whit that 2 to 3 kilometer way, only little slow down and thats it!

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

90 kph

And they pinged you at 102 km/h ..... blimey: thanks for the heads-up Santi, Im going up to Udon next week.

I still maintain that 90 km/h on a 4 lane highway is an utterly ridiculous, unrealistic and impractical limit

• Thanks 1

They seem to only give 8 KMH leeway - I got zapped and pulled over some years ago. Now, some call ahead and pull you over at a check-point further down the road. Very few send tickets in the mail but expect that to increase. GF had a 500 Baht ticket heading west on Hwy #35 around Samut Songkhram last year and sent by mail - <deleted> her off no end 555. Can you guess who had to pay though?

On 8/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, Patriot said:

And they pinged you at 102 km/h ..... blimey: thanks for the heads-up Santi, Im going up to Udon next week.

I still maintain that 90 km/h on a 4 lane highway is an utterly ridiculous, unrealistic and impractical limit

Agree that 102 is a bit of a surprise - I must have had 15-20 tickets/police stops with fines in my 13 years living in Thailand (my motor is now on 300,000km in that time period - lots of Isaan to Bangkok etc). Previously my lowest speed to generate a penalty was 114, so I had rather slipped into the habit of using 109 on the cruise control when in areas of risk. Not crazy speed otherwise - 120ish on open roads with no risk factors (rain/traffic/narrowness/bends/agricultural stuff etc).

An occasional 300 to 500 baht penalty is unlikely to change my habits other than a bit more caution. Those 90kph limit road signs seem to have popped up everywhere in recent years. Previously I have treated them with a 99kph cruise for a few km and looked out for cameras (have noticed that most other traffic ignores those signs and passes me) but then returned to say 120. Must have either missed the signage on the Yaso road or more likely the limit was in force for a longer distance than I expected.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:43 PM, soi3eddie said:

They seem to only give 8 KMH leeway - I got zapped and pulled over some years ago. Now, some call ahead and pull you over at a check-point further down the road. Very few send tickets in the mail but expect that to increase. GF had a 500 Baht ticket heading west on Hwy #35 around Samut Songkhram last year and sent by mail - <deleted> her off no end 555. Can you guess who had to pay though?

Ive never been pulled over by the BIB after a fixed camera zapped me to the best of my knowledge.

My 15-20 tickets over 13 years and 300,000km, mostly in Isaan or from Isaan to Bangkok and back, have been roughly 50% fixed camera with subsequent mailed ticket and 50% roadside manned-zapper with a police stop a couple of clicks later. The proportion has increased towards more fixed camera/mailed tickets in the last say 5 years

• Like 1

I got pinged for 117 kph coming back from Chiang Mai a few years back .

They told me 110 kph is the limit for a 90 kph road.

So 102 kph is a bit tighter.

SantiSuk , are you a foreigner with the vehicle registered in your name by any chance ?

My mate has his vehicle in his name , and he is always getting letters for speeding or " Amber / Red " light jumping.

There are more and more cameras, but few of them are in service, otherwise my mail box would be full!

There is at least one between Kanthararom (Sisaket) and Ubon, and Kanthararom has cameras at each of its traffic lights, which are always in service.

But Surin easily takes the cake with cameras all over the place.

I got caught at 120, with a big flash light in my face.

The "good" thing is that the fine remains the same whatever the speed, so if you are driving faster than 90, don't bother and enjoy it...

• Like 1

Mrs Farma got a 500 Baht letter in the mail 2 days ago for running an Amber light on the Ubon ring road/Yasothon intersection. It shows the car about 4 car lengths before going through the amber light and the car 3 car lengths past light red on the other side. 

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

I got pinged for 117 kph coming back from Chiang Mai a few years back .

They told me 110 kph is the limit for a 90 kph road.

So 102 kph is a bit tighter.

SantiSuk , are you a foreigner with the vehicle registered in your name by any chance ?

My mate has his vehicle in his name , and he is always getting letters for speeding or " Amber / Red " light jumping.

I too was told that 110 km/h was OK on a 90 km/h Highway. This is from a BiB that pulled me over in Nong Ki, BuriRam.

On another occasion I was flagged down for doing 119, paid the fine and was yold to show the receipt if I get stopped for the remainder of that day. I did, however, receive three more photo/ letter in the post demands. I addressed this with my local BiB station who agreed that the rule is one fine a day so dont bother paying. I've heard nothing since, that was 8 months ago. (He did smirk as the cameras were all in Surin; one can deduce that they have a bit of a reputation!!)

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:13 AM, Farma said:

Mrs Farma got a 500 Baht letter in the mail 2 days ago for running an Amber light on the Ubon ring road/Yasothon intersection. It shows the car about 4 car lengths before going through the amber light and the car 3 car lengths past light red on the other side. 

Now you mention it - been there (exactly there) done that - same same, I was clearly going through on amber. Friends/family told me I wouldn't get out of it by complaining. Not sure I ever paid that particular fine ????

Yep. Last Friday morning was nabbed, northbound but the same spot as Santi, ie Highway 23 near Yasothon. The letter arrived by registered mail which was a first. 
I’ll see how many others I get for the complete trip to and from Udon before I decide which I pay !!!

• Sad 1