Danger to US Social Security

Donald Trump:

"If I'm victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax," Trump said at a press conference announcing executive actions on coronavirus relief.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/taxes/trump-pledged-to-permanently-scrap-the-payroll-taxes-used-to-fund-social-security-and-medicare-if-he-wins-re-election/ar-BB17JRjG

Some scholars think Trump's current suspension of collecting the payroll tax, which is the primary source of all SS benefit payments, may be constitutional.  Under the presidential memorandum that he issued, the employee portion of the payroll tax (7.65% of wages up to $133,000/yr) would be suspended.  So, it would not be deducted from each paycheck, but the worker would have to pay it back when filing federal income tax for the year 2020.  Now he is talking about forgiving that arrearage permanently and cutting the payroll tax permanently.

That would be the end of the Social Security system.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I think trump believes Covid will kill all the seniors, so who needs SocSec? (Also funds Medicaire.)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about this yet.

It doesn't appear as though a president can do this permanently? Althought the clown car of mnuchin, kudlow and meadows seems confused on this topic.

No clue why trump has such tumescence for the FICA?