Three thousand foreign teachers waiting to return to Thailand - 165 Filipinos arrived at weekend

webfact

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So how did these 165 Filipino teachers get approved?.....And why are 3,000 farang teachers waiting?.......I would speculate most Filipino teachers would be less able to jump through all the hoops and pay the money compared to most farang teachers...

Unless

Some one plans to pay the Filipino teachers less and does not mind footing the bill...

The Filipinos are foreigners, not farang. The headline says "3,000 foreigners." That means not Thai citizens. Farang means us of European origin.  "Farang" is not a synonym for foreigner.

Edited by LawrenceN
Clarification

I have been here for over 10 years now. There is not any noticeable difference in English ability. I would question why we need these "teachers" most of whom are not qualified to teach in their own countries.I have met native English speakers from Kenya, Phillippines, Poland, Germany.....very few teaching qualifications, at best a TEFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

'And 100k insurance is a joke. 

The $100,000 cover is very small BUT the hard part is it has to cover Covid19. I am in the Philippines now and an insurance agent in Manila could not find any company here that would do that. Presumably the cover had to apply for the whole year as well. 

people seem to think you need to pay insurance cover costing 100k, rather than buying a package that covers up to 100k

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I would not want any Filipino teaching my kids English

Ditto. Some are no doubt fluent, but for the majority, an ersatz solution. Sidenote - a really good Filipina teacher I worked with was sacked because her accent was too Spanish, even though her English was mostly flawless.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rott said:

Well if 165 Filipinos can manage it, anyone can. 

We can all do it with a little bit of help. 

Not saying that there's mates rates...But.

As said by others, I can't see these people forking out about 80,000 baht for ASQ and insurance and flights and testing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Have you ever been a teacher in Thailand? Because, if you had you would know as a rule Philippine teachers are paid 50% less than actual native English speaking teachers. Actual qualified western teachers are still only paid peanut compared to their home countries. Even the top paying jobs salaries are laughable but the attraction is life style or perception there of.

Nice opinion. I have been a Non Native English teacher here in Thailand, public school, although for a short while, until i did quit.

I wont share details but the hourly pay was GOOD. 

• Haha 1

I really do not understand why nothing is done to the very racist remarks that are made on this forum by very bitter people. If you answer one of their racist comments you get bared. 

You mean the racist remarks against Filipinos? 

I don't know, but I do know a mate of mine was lending out movies to a Filipino and he was renting them out to his mates. And I do know Filipinos who tried to exploit the Thai recruitment system. Basically, your average Filipino doesn't have two pennies to rub together. Anything that makes money.

Edited by nausea
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

a little farang complaining!! who would have thought of that!! She already knows the Art of Complaining! 

Pinoys speak very good English but its funny to see an Indian or Pakistani with the twang they have... when I tip up they soon vanish, my neice loves my visits to learn proper English.

• Confused 1

I've met some Filipino teachers who are at the top of their game in math; while in the minority - one shouldn't judge all on the basis of a few.  While we farang are in Thailand for the foreseeable future (due to the inability to fly freely) why not give something back and teach?  The money is small but the rewards are great. 

• Like 2

I really do not understand why nothing is done to the very racist remarks that are made on this forum by very bitter people. If you answer one of their racist comments you get bared. 

Speaking of teachers and standards of education, what kind of treatment is "you get "bared"?

Anything like getting "denuded"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

Pinoys speak very good English but its funny to see an Indian or Pakistani with the twang they have... when I tip up they soon vanish, my neice loves my visits to learn proper English.

"neice"? Proper English? No further comment! 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Speaking of teachers and standards of education, what kind of treatment is "you get "bared"?

Anything like getting "denuded"

Must've been a litteracy pompem ????

• Haha 1