Bangkok toddler - one and a half - drowns in fish pond while his mother slept

webfact

Bangkok toddler - one and a half - drowns in fish pond while his mother slept

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tragedy struck at a housing estate in Bang Bua Thong north west of Bangkok when a one and a half year old boy drowned in a fancy carp fish pond beside a house. 

When police arrived at the two story house in Perfect Park Ratchapreuk they found the 32 year old distraught mother cradling her dead boy.

She said that they had been lying down together downstairs and she fell asleep. 

She awoke to find him gone and the door ajar. 

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

She rushed outside and found him face down in the pond and already dead. 

Police think that the toddler climbed onto a speaker and managed to open the front door. He then went to the side of the house and seeing a number of colorful balls floating in the pond he probably tried to grab one and toppled in.

The mother and father are giving further evidence and an autopsy has been called for.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-11

• Sad 3

Not really news considering 5 die a week in similar circumstances, while others are left with life long mental impairments.

Stupid woman should be held accountable for manslaughter. Of course it wasn’t her fault, it was the clown that didn’t kiddy proof the pond.

TIT

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Why do Thais have absolutely no concept of safety? How could any person with even half a brain allow an unguarded pond with a young child in the house? And just to make the water even more attractive, they placed some coloured balls in it for the kid to enter the water to fetch!

Same as a flat refusal by so many not to use child seats in cars, or those who allow their kids to illegally ride motorcycles they are too small and weak to control properly. I could go on and on. I just don't get it. Can people really be that stupid? Can they really have no common sense at all?

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Myran said:

What a horrible tragedy. Too bad the parents valued a fancy pond higher than the safety of their child. 

Nothing wrong with a fancy pond... just needed a little addition of a protective barrier around it so it was child proof.

In time the child could enjoy the pond and fish while being educated regarding the dangers of it.

Removing it teaches nothing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Nothing wrong with a fancy pond... just needed a little addition of a protective barrier around it so it was child proof.

In time the child could enjoy the pond and fish while being educated regarding the dangers of it.

Removing it teaches nothing.

And if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

The fact of the matter is that the pond did not have a safety barrier, so my statement still stands: the parents valued a pond over the safety of their child.

And you don't need a pond as a child to understand the dangers of water. People aren't drowning in ponds all over the place because they didn't have ponds as children.

33 minutes ago, Myran said:

People aren't drowning in ponds all over the place because they didn't have ponds as children.

Correct in Thailand they drown in small ponds, lakes rivers... all because they weren't educated to the dangers of water.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Snackbar said:

If I was in a situation to fund or assist a charity it would be about teaching Asian kids to swim and their parents about the risks of water for youngsters. Not once, but twice I have had to "rescue" two 4-5 year olds out of their depths and struggling in pools here in Thailand because no one was tending to them. In fact, a former GF lost a 3 year old niece to drowning at home in a pool just three years ago. Very, very sad. The mother was playing on her phone at the time mid-morning. Tragic for every family involved in the loss of a young one. Another GF lost her brother when he was 8 years old from drowning here in Thailand - i don't know the exact circumstances. I very much doubt that 10 kids die a week through drowning in England. But here?, yes for sure it must be more than 5 per week.

• Like 2

The prize for ignorance goes to parents who fail in their responsibility to protect their children from harm.

No sympathy for these idiots nor the woke virtue signalling fools that defend them. 

Every government school has a swimming program and teacher for M3 students, ten years too late IMO. I’ve done this rewarding and extremely fun job in Thailand. Never met a kid that didn’t want to learn. 

Edited by Snackbar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Correct in Thailand they drown in small ponds, lakes rivers... all because they weren't educated to the dangers of water.

Are you serious? Because I have no idea who you're arguing against. You seem to be making up statements in your head to argue against instead of actually reading what I'm writing. I have never written or even implied that children shouldn't be taught about the dangers of water. I'm saying that these particular parents obviously valued having a pond higher than their child's safety. I'm also saying that you don't need a pond next to your house to teach children about the dangers of water, just like you don't need a cobra in an enclosure in your backyard in order to teach children about the dangers of venomous snakes.

Neither have I said that there is no way to safely have a pond next to your house when you have a house – this is simply something you have assumed. Again: I have very clearly pointed out that I'm referring to the particular parents in the news article. Please stop putting words in my mouth in order to write "clever" responses. I refuse to defend statements I have never made.

• Like 1

Heartbreaking...    parenting a young one is exhausting, she thought they were safe. 

I recall returning back from the UK with my Wife and Son (similar age). Wife was exhausted, I was exhausted, son was full of beans !!!...  Jet lag, the perfect storm. 

I recall climbing inside the 2m x 2m playpen ‘just in case’... and yes, I drifted off to sleep.

With regards to having a ‘pond at the house’... Unfortunately many are unaware of the true deadly potential of things around them. I am so very often shocked at the amount of children in cars unrestrained in a car seat. 

The Motorcycle + Parents carrying a kid is one thing and can be argued with / justified by economics, but for parents with a car, not having a child seat is inexcusable. 

In this case, it was simply a matter of poor education on the risks and dangers around a house. 

I see it daily in our moobaan - Kids playing in the street at 4 years old, parents either not home and a 14 year old cousin is in charge (in the house) or the parents are just in the house and the kids are playing freely outside. 

Fortunately ‘most’ of the cars drive are driven carefully, its the delivery motorcycles which seem to speed through. 

Risks everywhere - managing every risk perfectly is an impossibility. This is just an extremely tragic story, truly heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

Parents can't teach what they themselves don't know.  Lack of safety knowledge and accident prevention is a big problem here. Parents need to be educated so they can educate their kids.  But, we've been harping about this for years.  Gotta learn the hard way I guess.