BANGKOK
rkidlad

Transferring visa extension into a new passport

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will get my new passport soon and I'm wondering about transferring my marriage extension into my new passport. I have to renew my yearly extension in October. Does anyone know the procedure for doing this? 

Cheers, 

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

This completed form. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Copies of both passport photo page. And copies of every page of your old passport that has a stamp or visa for Thailand on it.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

This completed form. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Copies of both passport photo page. And copies of every page of your old passport that has a stamp or visa for Thailand on it.

Great. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

Seriously? The form requesting a stamp transfer is a typical TM form, like a TM47, TM7, TM86, etc -- none of which require embassy endorsement. And, right now you can't even get an appointment at most embassies, except for emergency circumstances. And if you could, say to the US Embassy, you're looking at paying 50 bucks for their service! Just to endorse a transfer of stamps? Naaaaa.

What if he shows up in Oct to renew his marriage extension, with of course his new passport -- plus his old passport with the expiring stamps -- and the TM form requesting stamp transfer? Could this all be same time action, with an embassy letter, if that really is required? Or does the transfer have to be a separate date at Imm?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Seriously? The form requesting a stamp transfer is a typical TM form, like a TM47, TM7, TM86, etc -- none of which require embassy endorsement. And, right now you can't even get an appointment at most embassies, except for emergency circumstances. And if you could, say to the US Embassy, you're looking at paying 50 bucks for their service! Just to endorse a transfer of stamps? Naaaaa.

Most embassies give you the letter when you pick up your passport.

It is not a endorsement stamp of any form.

It's a standard letter that your embassy provides along with your new passport.

It gives Thai immigration permission to transfer the details of previous visa to new pp. It doesn't cost however without it no transfer 

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanx. I see on the US Consulate site that when I renew my passport by mail the new passport will be accompanied with the letter required by Imm. Live and learn.

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

What if he shows up in Oct to renew his marriage extension, with of course his new passport -- plus his old passport with the expiring stamps -- and the TM form requesting stamp transfer? Could this all be same time action, with an embassy letter, if that really is required? Or does the transfer have to be a separate date at Imm?

If it's a Brit passport, I got the embassy letter automatically when I picked up my new passport at the Trendy building. 

At Jomtien Immigration, I got mine done at 9.30am and was told to return to collect my passport at 3pm, so be prepared for a long wait or a return trip if you don't live too far away from the office.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a standard letter that your embassy provides along with your new passport.

It gives Thai immigration permission to transfer the details of previous visa to new pp. It doesn't cost however without it no transfer 

Just done my changeover from my old passport to the new one, the request to transfer visas letter that comes with the passport is fine for Immigration in Pattaya. Took my passport in the morning, and picked it up the next day, they use 2 pages in the new passport lol, cost: nothing.

Same documents and procedure for Pathumthani immigration, it took around an hour.

Was told that I could do online 90 day report with the new details but the system would not accept them, so I had to visit them to do it. Online may work now that I have done one with the new passport.

Remember to change the passport details with your bank(s).

I am American and I got the request letter from the embassy along with the new passport. I am in Udon. when I took the new passport and the old passport along with the embassy letter, the local immigration office sat on it all afternoon. Finally about one half hour before closing, they decided they would not stamp the new passport. They forced us to apply for a new visa. Be prepared for anything.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Exactly, and transferring Visa at IO is free of cost..

I did the transfer about 2 months ago. I got sent my new Australian passport in the mail, but there was no letter. Anyway, the lady at the Immigration Office did not ask for any embassy letter and just did the transfer. It took about 30 minutes and she asked for 200 Baht (no receipt)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimGant said:

I picked up my new Australian passport last week. I just made an appointment for the original passport online and they said come anytime to pick up. I have been there a few times and have never seen it quieter. They do not issue letters. They said either just carry 2 passports or there is a stamp on the old passport saying it has been replaced. They said immigration will accept it.