Transferring visa extension into a new passport

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will get my new passport soon and I'm wondering about transferring my marriage extension into my new passport. I have to renew my yearly extension in October. Does anyone know the procedure for doing this? 

Cheers, 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

Seriously? The form requesting a stamp transfer is a typical TM form, like a TM47, TM7, TM86, etc -- none of which require embassy endorsement. And, right now you can't even get an appointment at most embassies, except for emergency circumstances. And if you could, say to the US Embassy, you're looking at paying 50 bucks for their service! Just to endorse a transfer of stamps? Naaaaa.

What if he shows up in Oct to renew his marriage extension, with of course his new passport -- plus his old passport with the expiring stamps -- and the TM form requesting stamp transfer? Could this all be same time action, with an embassy letter, if that really is required? Or does the transfer have to be a separate date at Imm?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Seriously? The form requesting a stamp transfer is a typical TM form, like a TM47, TM7, TM86, etc -- none of which require embassy endorsement. And, right now you can't even get an appointment at most embassies, except for emergency circumstances. And if you could, say to the US Embassy, you're looking at paying 50 bucks for their service! Just to endorse a transfer of stamps? Naaaaa.

Most embassies give you the letter when you pick up your passport.

It is not a endorsement stamp of any form.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanx. I see on the US Consulate site that when I renew my passport by mail the new passport will be accompanied with the letter required by Imm. Live and learn.

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

What if he shows up in Oct to renew his marriage extension, with of course his new passport -- plus his old passport with the expiring stamps -- and the TM form requesting stamp transfer? Could this all be same time action, with an embassy letter, if that really is required? Or does the transfer have to be a separate date at Imm?

If it's a Brit passport, I got the embassy letter automatically when I picked up my new passport at the Trendy building. 

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a standard letter that your embassy provides along with your new passport.

It gives Thai immigration permission to transfer the details of previous visa to new pp. It doesn't cost however without it no transfer 

Just done my changeover from my old passport to the new one, the request to transfer visas letter that comes with the passport is fine for Immigration in Pattaya. Took my passport in the morning, and picked it up the next day, they use 2 pages in the new passport lol, cost: nothing.

Same documents and procedure for Pathumthani immigration, it took around an hour.

Was told that I could do online 90 day report with the new details but the system would not accept them, so I had to visit them to do it. Online may work now that I have done one with the new passport.

Remember to change the passport details with your bank(s).

I am American and I got the request letter from the embassy along with the new passport. I am in Udon. when I took the new passport and the old passport along with the embassy letter, the local immigration office sat on it all afternoon. Finally about one half hour before closing, they decided they would not stamp the new passport. They forced us to apply for a new visa. Be prepared for anything.

• Sad 1

I did the transfer about 2 months ago. I got sent my new Australian passport in the mail, but there was no letter. Anyway, the lady at the Immigration Office did not ask for any embassy letter and just did the transfer. It took about 30 minutes and she asked for 200 Baht (no receipt)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimGant said:

I picked up my new Australian passport last week. I just made an appointment for the original passport online and they said come anytime to pick up. I have been there a few times and have never seen it quieter. They do not issue letters. They said either just carry 2 passports or there is a stamp on the old passport saying it has been replaced. They said immigration will accept it.

Bangkok (CW):

I got my new passport in early March this year.

I renewed my ext. of stay in mid-April

I came @ CW with:
* 1 set of copies and form for my extension (the usual stuff)
* 1 set of copies and form for the transfer (copies of my old passport, copies of my new passport, letter from my embassy, Immigration form and my 2 passports)

The IO transferred the relevant stamps to my new passport and then proceed with my extension.

PS1: the transfer of stamps was FREE, I just paid for my extension (THB1,900.00 with receipt)
PS2: very easy process and quite a good experience.

Don't forget that you also have to go to the Reentry Visa desk to get any reentry visas you have transferred to the new passport.  They don't transfer reentry permits at the desk where they transfer the regular visa to the new passport. 

A friend didn't do the above and was refused reentry into Thailand based on his retirement visa.  He had to enter on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival and then get a new retirement visa, which of course cost him time and money.

I had my stamp transferred to my new passport with no letter requested. To be honest, it took around 30 minutes and I really can't recall if I had to pay or if it was done free. I know I signed a form, not sure what the number was. I did it at the same time as the 90 day report, so could have been any form. I think I zoned out and just did what I was told. It was noisy though, they really like to make sure the stamps are readable.

This was Si Saket IO. Always very helpful and very swift.

• Like 1

Consulate provided a letter with my new passport. IO didn't look at the letter but stamped new passport with the remaining time on my extension along with an explanation that it had been transferred from an expired passport. It took about 15 minutes and no charge.

I would definitely hold on to the expired passport as it likely has your original visa in it and for the fact that you probably used it to open bank accounts, etc. In my case, I went to the banks and gave them the new passport number. If you have a Thai driver's license, this will have your old passport number on it. I updated mine but in retrospect, I think you could just wait until your next renewal to do that.

I just did this with my recent retirement extension in Phuket.

No discussion - the IO just took both old and new passports and transferred all pertinent info in to my new passport.

Thank you very much.

11 hours ago, jesimps said:

At Jomtien Immigration, I got mine done at 9.30am and was told to return to collect my passport at 3pm, so be prepared for a long wait or a return trip if you don't live too far away from the office.

You can't live very far away from Jomtien immigration if that's the office you belong to. 

5 hours ago, Headgame said:

I just did this with my recent retirement extension in Phuket.

No discussion - the IO just took both old and new passports and transferred all pertinent info in to my new passport.

Thank you very much.

You do know there are 77 provinces in Thailand, and most of the Immigration offices asks for the embassy letter when transferring stamps? But as always, all of them don't have same procedures and requirements.

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You can't live very far away from Jomtien immigration if that's the office you belong to. 

Chonburi/Jomtien immigrations area of responsibility is much bigger than you apparently think.

How far is it to Sattahip or the beginning of Laem Chabang from Jomtien? 

9 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I did the transfer about 2 months ago. I got sent my new Australian passport in the mail, but there was no letter. Anyway, the lady at the Immigration Office did not ask for any embassy letter and just did the transfer. It took about 30 minutes and she asked for 200 Baht (no receipt)

Where did you do yours? My passport will be delivered to my condo. The embassy called and said I'd need a letter to confirm new passport which would cost 1,200 baht. 

Would be nice if I didn't need the letter. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Chonburi/Jomtien immigrations area of responsibility is much bigger than you apparently think.

How far is it to Sattahip or the beginning of Laem Chabang from Jomtien? 

I don't have to think how far it is from those places to Jomtien. I have been living here for years. Center to center between both locations is not more than 30-35 min by car (average speed) and the road is not a mud road. Add just a few minutes to north Laem Chabang or south Sattahip. If that's "very far away" for you,then your perception of distance and time is very off. This is not the sticks in Isaan. 

On 8/11/2020 at 6:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

This completed form. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Copies of both passport photo page. And copies of every page of your old passport that has a stamp or visa for Thailand on it.

Hello,

If the old passport expires when you are out of Thailand, may you enter Thailand with the current extension on the expired passport and  the new passport without this extension ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I don't have to think how far it is from those places to Jomtien. I have been living here for years. Center to center betw upeen both locations is not more than 30-35 min by car (average speed) and the road is not a mud road. Add just a few minutes to north Laem Chabang or south Sattahip. If that's "very far away" for you,then your perception of distance and time is very off. This is not the sticks in Isaan. 

So you think everyone has a car? For me it is 3 songtaews. Probably about an hour and a half one way including waiting and walking. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:57 PM, ubonjoe said:

Exactly... UJ to the rescue your the guy when it comes to visa