Appeal Court confirms prison sentence for Premchai

webfact

Appeal Court confirms prison sentence for Premchai

By The Nation

800_84ccccd100a037b.jpg?v=1597120768

Italian-Thai Development President Premchai Karnasuta was sentenced to six months in jail for possessing a rifle without permission

The Appeal Court on Tuesday (August 11) sentenced Premchai under the Firearms and Ammunition Act 1947 for possession of a rifle in Bangkok without permission.

The crime is punishable with imprisonment for a year under the Firearms Act, Section 7, 72. However, since the accused pleaded guilty the sentence was halved to six months in prison.

Premchai claimed the rifle belonged to his father and remained in the house after his death.

Later, Premchai was granted bail on a Bt200,000 guarantee as he planned to appeal against the verdict in the Supreme Court.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392792

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-11

TIT!

Appeal being found guilty when you have pleaded guilty. Seems rather strange. In most countries if you plead against the term of a sentence you are very likely to get the sentence increased particularly if the sentence was reduced in exchange for a guilty plea. Maybe the brown envelope might work in a higher court.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

One really wonders why he would appeal yet again. He already pleaded guilty, i.e. he ADMITTED his guilt. So what did he reasonably expect the outcome to be? A dismissed case with no consequences of punishment whatsoever?

I secretly really hope that the Supreme Court is going to double his sentence. Though I'm not holding my breath.

He will be  appealing the sentence only hoping it will be suspended.....which with his contacts has probably already been "negotiated".

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

'Premchai' is a true anagram of 'impeach.'

Shame that just means 'blame' and not imprison . . . . ????

Except "Premchai" has 8 letters and "impeach" only has 7.

6 hours ago, nahkit said:
10 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

'Premchai' is a true anagram of 'impeach.'

Shame that just means 'blame' and not imprison . . . . ????

Except "Premchai" has 8 letters and "impeach" only has 7.

Perhaps that's 'true' in the sense that he's going to prison.

This was the guy caught poaching protected wildlife in a national park in Kanchananburi about 2-3 years ago right? Dead protected animals being eaten in his camp with furs all around? And all he gets done for, and still not in jail, is for possesion of a rifle?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps that's 'true' in the sense that he's going to prison.

Notwithstanding that by bail they actually mean ' indefinite bail ' provided the envelopes keep coming.

The jail sentence is a metaphorical one.

The only way he spends anytime in jail is if he can hunt prisoners.

For these sorts of cases they should just drop the charges, every Thai knows the "legal" system is based on status, and dragging these things out just exposes the sheer idiocy of the Thai justice system.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

if ferrrari boy gets away with murder of a cop, why would anyone go to jail for owning a gun ?

Just perhaps; some people of influence think that there is a chance that Premchai might be prepared to include part (or total) control of his very lucrative construction business, in any deal which avoids imprisonment?

Perhaps the Red Bull business is quite simply just a question of milking cash - the cashflow depends on the creature remaining out of prison - control of the business may not be on the table?

Edited by herfiehandbag

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Just perhaps; some people of influence think that there is a chance that Premchai might be prepared to include part (or total) control of his very lucrative construction business, in any deal which avoids imprisonment?

Pretty sure he married into the family, and is but a director.

He's not going to prison. 

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure he married into the family, and is but a director.

He's not going to prison. 

Hmm, I had the impression that he was fairly central to the whole business, but it is only my impression.

I agree with your second point. No prison.

Lucky that there were no wild mushrooms in his panther willy soup!

Edited by herfiehandbag