"We never banned foreigners" - Chiang Mai marathon organizers say claims are “fake news”

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

It would be nice if as a by-product of the Covid hysteria and border lockdowns that suddenly long-stay expats who have been here for years if not decades are looked at as part of the general population and not just a bunch of foreign outsiders no different than tourist.
Now we are in fact different than tourists and all other foreigner visitors.  We are here of our own choice and make this our 'home.' And we are living on the inside of this locked down country. Tourist and visitors are either locked out of the country <or required to run a gauntlet of rules, regulations, and quarantines making trips here daunting> or are stranded awaiting to return to their foreign home.  And now perhaps some Thais are actually seeing this?  "Oh.  The expats live here.  No different than us."

This is actually a very good precedent as organizations such as TAT and these local groups such as Muangthai Chiangmai Marathon and other civic organizations start to realize that excluding long-stay foreigners based on their race/ethnicity really put them and Thailand in a bad light, but that extending a hand of inclusiveness and friendship to those who live here may be the better path to follow. And it gets that fact into the public's eye via the media that long-term expats don't pose anymore of a Covid threat than any Thai living in Thailand. Plus there is the economic incentive in that virtually all of us fit into the economic category that is being targeted for 'domestic tourism' by the Thai government. 

We can hope.  For those of us here supporting families and the economy it would be nice to begin to gain some acceptance from the the government and average Thais that we are here living in Thailand just as they are - and for the same reasons - we make this our 'home.' 
Time will tell.

A first step might be to change my permission to 'visit' my wife of 30 years to 'live' with her, in the visa rules. If anything makes you a visitor rather than a resident, that pathetic terminology does. What makes it worse is that is exactly all you are allowed to do, due to the limit of the visa that you have to renew year after after year after year after year. My sister-in-law is living with her Dutch husband in Hungary and was given a five-year visa, making both of them feel welcome to reside and put money into the economy.

• Like 2

Anut in the little man  is to blame for this.  Just like trump he made it seem ok to act out on your  prejudices.   DOESN'T the thai government or TAT have competent PR people working for them?  Obviously not.  This and the boss escapade and many others sets back the thai Tourism industry to the tune of billions of baht.   They just seem brainless.  Same same the monkeys who went  crazy with no generous tourists. 

Edited by Elkski

I'm a non-immigrant. I'm on a long holiday. I stay here at the pleasure of the government of Thailand. I can be reported at any time. I have no rights here save those given to me by the this government.

I am a foreigner, I will remain a foreigner until I can become a resident or a citizen. I have no issues with that. I have issues with discrimination, tnough, and !ies, and obfuscations. 

3 hours ago, elliss said:

Lets wise up . 

They don't really want farangs  here ...

It is more in the open these days.  But I felt it on my first visits 4 years ago.  Can't blame  the locals.  We have more money than many, we date the local women.  

I wonder what nationalities were in the top 5 finishers the past 2 years.  Maybe someone saw a chance to be on the podium?

4 hours ago, Krabi King said:

Bad boy... erase your tracks!

20200811_212338.jpg

After he saw a graph "I want to be Thailand only". ?

So Sayun is either epidemiologically ignorant or easily susceptible to Thai societal pressures to promote an exclusionary Nationalistic policy with no basis in medical science.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

too late, buddy. 

i shall take this "misunderstanding" to re-evaluate my priorities.

you don't want dirty foreigners to run in your filthy city?

no problem.

this stinky foreigner will plan to run the angkor wat marathon.

now, that's truly AMAZING!

cambodia-angkor-wat-international-half-m

Ran that six or seven years ago.

Best marathon (well half marathon, knees not up to full distance anymore) I’ve ever taken part in. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ran that six or seven years ago.

Best marathon (well half marathon, knees not up to full distance anymore) I’ve ever taken part in. 

Next you should try Bagan Marathon in Burma. It's truly wonderful to run in the sunrise, see all the hot-air balloons, and run among 3000 stupas and temples.

Awesome experience.????

bagan.jpg

Edited by rasmus5150
added picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1