Interview with the British Embassy Consular Team in Thailand - August 2020

19 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

It’s positive that the consular team is willing to to do this.

It’s a surprisingly small team with only only two accredited British diplomats. The Americans have loads of accredited US diplomats in their consular section.

They have given Nokkie a ridiculous title, “Head of Prevention and Engagement”. What is that supposed to mean?

The statement about the pension letters is absurd. Thai Immigration knew perfectly well that foreign consulates were only witnessing affidavits on the basis that it is a criminal offence in British law to someone to ask them to witness a false statement. When Immigration tried to tell them they felt they should be verifying the pensions, which is absurd, they should have stood their ground and told them they would continue to do what is possible and practical under UK law. Then it would have been up to Immigration to decide whether they would continue to accept the letters or not. They seem to still accept letters done in the same basis by other consulates. In line with FCO policy the British consulate merely seized an opportunity to reduce the services they provide to British nationals closer to zero.

Totally agree again!

• Like 1

I've got another 14 years to go until I get my UK full state pension. And that's if they don't change the age again-quite likely. I've already made enough contributions to qualify but still have to pay NICs! One thing for sure is that if I live long enough to "retire" here in Thailand, I will maintain connections with the UK by keeping an address (friend or family), bank account, doctor registration and electoral registration just to be sure of receiving services that have been paid for over many years. Advise anyone else retiring to do same.

• Like 1

Interestingly the Consul said in the space of a couple of minutes that there used to be a database of British expats who had registered with them, but it fell in disrepair.

He went on to say that it wasn't necessary to register with them...but keep checking their website and if it told you register, with them, then register.

A long way round saying nothing.

I had no idea the Consul was so good at sign language.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkkdawg said:

Useless bunch of overpaid idiots. How about just write the letters we need to get our visas extended. That'd be a start!

Have you considered how much time it would take to actually VERIFY every farang’s income? You’d need a full time team working on it. 

2 hours ago, bkkdawg said:

Useless bunch of overpaid idiots. How about just write the letters we need to get our visas extended. That'd be a start!

The letter confirming income being stopped has of course directed anger at them....if you were rotting in a prison or seriously ill in hospital you would surely change your views...of course they can't offer financial assistance but they help many that are in need.

Well its a  postive start having a discussion with the British Embassy staff face to face

Some people will disagree with some of the answers given

I look at  it as you have to start somewhere  on a open discussion  will see how things progress  in the coming months ect

31 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

Have you considered how much time it would take to actually VERIFY every farang’s income? You’d need a full time team working on it. 

With the wonders of high speed internet, the "full time team" can work on that from home, no?

Mind you, maybe far too many recalcitrant and cranky old Brits here still running Windows XP on a dialup connection.

Yeah... that will take ages.

3 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well its a  postive start having a discussion with the British Embassy staff face to face

Some people will disagree with some of the answers given

I look at  it as you have to start somewhere  on a open discussion  will see how things progress  in the coming months ect

Yes, once the noisome  'I told you so' clique lose interest here, maybe practical and salient issues will be raised, discussed, clarified and acted upon.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You think i am being unfair !!! Clearly you have never been in a situation requiring help, or you would not say i was being unfair.

Me just out of a month long coma, immigration telling my wife, they will come to the hospital to deport me.

My wife at her wits end not knowing what to do, or who to turn to.

A friend suggested to call the British embassy see if they could help/ advice.Only thing them useless sods said.... Not our problem.

So you think i am being unfair, you aint got a clue what you are talking about.

To be fair, it's not their job to assist you with visa issues. Should be in my opinion, but not. 

• Like 1