Covid-19 vaccine 'will be out in 6 months'

webfact

Covid-19 vaccine 'will be out in 6 months'

By The Nation

800_41c132474d130de.jpg?v=1597124229

Most countries should be able to produce a Covid-19 vaccine in the next six months, the Public Health Ministry declared on Monday (August 10).

Dr Thanarak Plipat, deputy director general from the ministry's Department of Disease Control, said more than 180 vaccines were under clinical trial in different countries, and 38 of them were already being tried on humans.

He explained that in the first phase, a vaccine is tested on no more than 100 volunteers, in the second phase it is tested on volunteers of both sexes, different ages and races to see if the vaccine is widely effective, and in the third phase the vaccine and a placebo is used on a large group of people to see if the vaccine really works.

"Of the 38 vaccines being tried on humans, 18 are in the first phase of testing, 12 vaccines are in the second phase, seven in the third phase, and one is being used on the Chinese army even though it has not yet undergone the third phase of testing," he said.

"Hence, we expect a Covid-19 vaccine to be ready in the next six months."

He added that the ministry has been supporting research and plans to procure as many vaccines as possible.

"While we are waiting for a vaccine, we have to prepare our personnel, organisations, and communities to deal with a second wave of infections that may emerge anytime," he added.

"But most importantly, people must not panic if there is a second Covid-19 wave."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392796

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-11

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Most countries should be able to produce a Covid-19 vaccine in the next six months, the Public Health Ministry declared on Monday (August 10).

good to see the thai public health ministry chime in on the progress of other nations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't emphasize enough that we shouldn't have our hopes up too high just yet. A serum can be safe, produce the right antibodies in the human body and can be produced in high amounts, that still doesn't make it a vaccine. The most crucial piece of the puzzle is that the human body maintains a high antibody count long enough after injection to defend us against covid-19. There has been no sign yet that we maintain that high count. As a matter of fact we tend not to get immune against corona viruses in general at all. Test results from Germany showed that people who fully recovered from covid-19 saw a steep drop in antibody count within months after the infection which implies they don't stay immune for very long. So sars-cov-2 doesn't seem to be an exception in the corona virus family. While this article is all great news (and we definitely need some positive news here!) I don't have my hopes up that we'll have a working vaccine in the near future. My best bet is we need a cure or some kind of treatment that turns covid-19 into a cold.

• Like 1

And 40m tourists will be coming to Thailand next year because we will get rid of all the ridiculous paperwork currently required to come to Thailand.

The compulsory quarantine will no longer be required.

The minimum wage will be increased to 1,000 baht a day and a law for compulsory happiness will be introduced. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

My best bet is we need a cure or some kind of treatment that turns covid-19 into a cold.

We already have it, but many don't have access to it because it is not expensive enough... just good enough for third world countries... 

• Like 1

Just now, Brunolem said:

We already have it, but many don't have access to it because it is not expensive enough... just good enough for third world countries... 

No we don't. Covid-19 is a complicated disease with lots of weird and dangerous symptoms. We're not even close.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Declaring that most countries can achieve something that no country managed for SARS or MERS seems premature.

Putting a seriously optimistic timeline on it too.

While I hope it turns out that way, or even one genuine vaccine arrives, I suspect it might be a bit longer than 6 months before there is enough to go around.

I think also,and a scientist never talks about a second wave but a new peak,they are too much ultracrepiderians in this world .

9 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

No we don't. Covid-19 is a complicated disease with lots of weird and dangerous symptoms. We're not even close.

Yes we do... it's just that we are not allowed to talk about it in some parts of the world, because it's not part of the official propaganda...