Extension on Non O ME, more confusion.

Went to my local Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 ( married outside Thailand...UK 1996).

It was my understanding that all I needed was the original UK certificate and copy, all the usual ID for myself and wifey and all would be good.

However, Amphoe want an official translation of the marriage certificate stamped by the British consulate. 

I thought original certs in English were exempt from that requirement.

Plus the UK embassy doesn't do it, I have apply to the UK home office and Thai consulate in the UK to get it.

Which version is correct, it's driving me nuts with every dept. saying something different. 

crossy has 2 threads on the subject, for a friend that has just done it

what did you need the kor ror 22 for, a yearly or 60 days which it is not required for

edit here is link to 2nd one, the op in the 2nd one has a link to the 1st one

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1177159-registering-a-uk-marriage-in-thailand-the-ongoing-saga/?tab=comments#comment-15703239

Edited by steve187

Thanks to  @ubonjoe for clarification. 

@steve187

It's for a 60day to give me time to sort and age 400k.....you're saying no KR22 needed for that? If yes, that would also give enough time to sort the M. Cert legalisation via the UK (3months apparently).

I don't see the links you mention, could you pop those in, thanks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pookett said:

It's for a 60day to give me time to sort and age 400k.....you're saying no KR22 needed for that? If yes, that would also give enough time to sort the M. Cert legalisation via the UK (3months apparently).

It is not required for the 60 day extension.

You should be able to get the legalization done in less that 3 months. If you have anybody in the UK to receive your marriage certificate after the legalization is done at the home office it would reduce the time for the Thai embassy part. They could send it to the embassy and receive it and then send it to you. The Thai embassy cannot send it to you.

15 minutes ago, pookett said:

Thanks to  @ubonjoe for clarification. 

@steve187

I don't see the links you mention, could you pop those in, thanks. 

It's an update referring to a previous thread (link inserted) of someone in your situation.

@pookett

The process to have a UK marriage certificate legalised for use in Thailand, is firstly to have it 'authenticated' by the Home office (DFA) at Milton Keynes. It is then sent to the Thai Embassy London who certify the Home office signature and place an apostille on the document. The process is known as 'legalisation'.

When that 'legalised' marriage certificate comes to Thailand, it must then be translated into Thai and the two documents 'legalised' by the consular section of the Ministry of foreign affairs.

The Amphoe will then register your foreign marriage and issue a registration certificate known as a Kor Ror 22. (Registration of a foreign marriage).

Many Amphoe's also request a certified copy of your Passport by your Embassy in Thailand.

This also requires translating and legalising by the MFA.

The translations and legalisation of your marriage and Passport copy can be done simultaneously.

Check the Amphoe requires where you intend to register the marriage.

Without the Kor Ror 22, you have no proof of marriage to a Thai for Immigration purposes.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, pookett said:

As UJ. You can send your marriage certificate to the Home Office, then sent on to the Thai Embassy and returned in less than 10 days. There are agents and notaries based in London that will facilitate this service on your behalf - for a fee.  

Sent EMS post to UK and return it should take 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Hi ya not sure if this is possible but could you just remarry at the Amphoe that way you would only need the translation and legalising by the MFA which could all be done in a day or two in bangkok which would give you plenty of time to sort money and bank account out 

10 minutes ago, Binger said:

Hi ya not sure if this is possible but could you just remarry at the Amphoe that way you would only need the translation and legalising by the MFA which could all be done in a day or two in bangkok which would give you plenty of time to sort money and bank account out 

That is not possible. You cannot marry the same person twice and you have to prove you are not already married to somebody.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not possible. You cannot marry the same person twice and you have to prove you are not already married to somebody.

Sounds like a great system... prove your married and prove your not not married... what else...