UK job losses hit decade-high, worse seen ahead

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It's a fair question.  The effects of the Corona Virus has scuppered any predictions of the fallout from Brexit.  Not sure what you mean by BRINO though as Johnson pushes ahead with his no-deal plan.  Of course they do have to pay the 38 billion pounds and contrary to what they promised they will still be paying into the EU after we have left as agreed in the withdrawal agreement (Gove admitted they got that wrong two weeks ago), but so far it looks like we will revert to WTO rules.

But back to the fallout from Covid-19.  Over 730,000 newly unemployed and Britain officially in the deepest recession on record.  As the furlough scheme comes to an end many more will be made redundant.  I expect the EU countries will rally round and support each other so if we can do a last minute trade deal with them, that may help us in the near future. 

My son is trying to get a part time job as he is now going to 6th form college.  He applied to a local café for a Saturday job clearing and cleaning tables.  The owner said they usually get about one hundred people apply and they are mostly students.  This time over four hundred have applied of all ages.  Needless to say he didn't get the job.  He is also applying for an evening job at the bowling alley.  Again they are completely overwhelmed with applications and they haven't even re-opened yet!

Thanks for good response

With BRINO I mean Brexit in name only,

that is where UK is right now, not any longer a member of EEA,

but still have to follow all EEA legal framework

that will change come 1 of January, then there will be Brexit proper

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

the eu Were the biggest market,it won,tbe soon

yes, Mid of January the British found new customers for a... 45 % of their now EU export...

When possible... why they did not do that a year of even longer ago ? ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would be very worried if I had a UK pension.

You would have to be more specific.

UK state pension in Thailand is frozen so they cannot take away what you are not getting in the first place.

Occupational pension funds could be a bit vulnerable but the most likely casualties are the UK taxpayers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sungod said:

No one is making you buy it. Up to the supermarkets what to stock based on consumer demand.

Correct. When the British consumer do not buy whatever product, the supermarkets will soon stop with that product.  But what happens, if it is a 10 cents / kg cheaper is British grown ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Would have thought many countries unemployment had gone up via C19 stuff,  

You are right, many countries have suffered economically due to the pandemic with the corresponding increase in unemployment. 

Try telling that to your mate @kingdong who is trying to blame the UK rise in unemployment since March on the EU!

1 hour ago, transam said:

but the UK has social security and unemployment benefit to soften the blow..... 

Many countries, particularly in Europe, have Social Security systems similar to our own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Do you think that Johnson will do a last minute trade deal with the EU?  If he takes it to the wire then it would be too late for the hard core Brexiteers in the party to try to stop it.  It has been mooted recently that that might be his plan.

I know you support Brexit and wondered what your thoughts would be if that happened.

me support Brexit? news for me, but if you say so,

not being a Brit I am fairly relaxed re Brexit or remain, from my and my country's perspective

there are downsides and upsides either way

let the Brits sort this one, (in piece and quiet, if possible)

BJ?, I would think he really wants a deal, not for any price though

handing the EU too much would create political turmoil on is home turf,

he doesn't need that on top of not so brilliant mitigation of corona and covid-19

It would not be good for the UK (BJ included) coming out of this with zilch deal, not good at all.

there are at least 2 sides to it, one is the satang side, ie food for the coffers stemming from trade and beefed up

industrial activity on the foggy islands

another side is quite simply face on the international scene,

since Cameron and the referendum UK seems to have screwed up everything

cannot get anything right or done

there are tons to learn from this process,

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

me support Brexit? news for me, but if you say so,

not being a Brit I am fairly relaxed re Brexit or remain, from my and my country's perspective

there are downsides and upsides either way

let the Brits sort this one, (in piece and quiet, if possible)

BJ?, I would think he really wants a deal, not for any price though

handing the EU too much would create political turmoil on is home turf,

he doesn't need that on top of not so brilliant mitigation of corona and covid-19

It would not be good for the UK (BJ included) coming out of this with zilch deal, not good at all.

there are at least 2 sides to it, one is the satang side, ie food for the coffers stemming from trade and beefed up

industrial activity on the foggy islands

another side is quite simply face on the international scene,

since Cameron and the referendum UK seems to have screwed up everything

cannot get anything right or done

there are tons to learn from this process,

Apologies for making assumptions on your position.  Johnson continues to screw up everything he touches.

I concur with all your points.  Thank you

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, he does want a deal. A deal which is basically identical to May's deal; the one he voted against in Parliament!

Trouble is, the EU are saying that it's too late for that deal; that we could have had that deal two years ago and left the EU in March 2019, but we rejected it.

that is a good example of what I call face

shamble after shamble for years, omni shamble

you know, the rest of the world has been and still is following very very closely,

what do they see?

failures to be followed by more failures

face clout shine ain't growing on trees to be picked, must be earned

• Like 1

Just now, dunroaming said:

And yet Johnson appears to be full speed ahead towards a no-deal scenario, being egged on by Rees Mogg and the ERG.

its all a game of bluff,at least johnson realises the stupidity of backing down to bullies.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kingdong said:

its all a game of bluff,at least johnson realises the stupidity of backing down to bullies.

We would have had the deal Johnson and Cummings want and left the EU in March 2019 if Johnson, Rees-Mogg and the ERG not put personal ambition ahead of the country.

He seemed to believe, maybe 'cos Cummings told him, that having rejected the deal once we could go back to the EU and say we've changed our minds; we now want that deal, so roll over and give it to us.

Standing up to bullies? No, egotistical stupidity. 

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

And where are these mystical markets to be found?

We were already trading with the world when we were in the EU.

Rather the EU were in us making our laws and governing us with non-elected bureaucrats  Also the UK were unable to trade with other global nations whilst a member of the EU under EU agreements / restrictions . 

The UK will continue to deal with the EU even if the trade talks fail bu using WTO . 

What trade deals has the UK done so far? Below an extract from a BBC web page , no mystical s , just facts 

While it was an EU member, the UK was automatically part of around 40 trade deals which the EU had struck with more than 70 countries.

So far, 19 of these existing  deals, covering 50 countries or territories, have been rolled over. This represents just over 8% of total UK trade.

All of the following agreements are expected to take effect at the end of the transition period, according to the Department for International Trade:

A table that sets out a list of 19 countries or territories that have rolled over their existing EU trade deals with the EU

The government says it is still in negotiation with a further 18 countries which have existing EU trade deals, including Canada and Mexico.

In addition, the UK government is also holding trade talks with the US, Australia and New Zealand.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You are right, many countries have suffered economically due to the pandemic with the corresponding increase in unemployment. 

Try telling that to your mate @kingdong who is trying to blame the UK rise in unemployment since March on the EU!

Many countries, particularly in Europe, have Social Security systems similar to our own.

You don't know who my mates are, on here or anywhere else. If you read I have similar views to other members and think they are my mates, then you think again.

Please try not to twist "everything".....Thank you....????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Right so the trade deals which are going to roll over are the same trade deals we had when we were in the EU until new deals can be struck. This is not going to go well is it? If these were the best deals the EU could get then tiny little UK is going to get ripped apart in any future deals because we are a small nation compared to other countries and trading blocks.

You think 47% of our trade going onto WTO tariffs is a good thing? Seriously?

As for unelected bureaucrats. I give you the House of Lords. HM Queen Elizabeth and countless civil servants and advisors. Like Dominic Cummins.  

our hands are not tied when it comes to deals unlike the shackled ties with the EU who deal on our behalf , You do not have to be big to pack a punch i.e. the UK is the 6th strongest world economy and growing through these difficult times and it is clear to see that the EU does not want the UK to leave . Time will tell on the outcome of trade deals but I believe single country deals will be easier to achieve .

I have to agree on the HOLs and DC but royalty is are heritage and history to which much of the world look at with respect and high esteem ( despite the Andrew saga ) . DC is too much a hidden power and I cannot help  thinking his involvement with SAGE had a huge influence on the UK covid19 strategy  . I do have concerns with an unknown adviser being heavily involved with front line politics and who also flouted the lock down rules .